Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:24 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by marcoos
On LOT, the Economy Simple fare (which is what Economy Light is on LH) still allows for the bags extension specified in your M&M status on top of the zero checked-in bags that applies to the non-status pax. This means FTLs can check-in one bag for free on Eco Simple.
Correct: LO and UA honor 1 extra piece of baggage for XX*G (so LO = OSIMPLE fare = 1 piece for free; UA = any domestic Coach fare = 1 piece for free).

Other *A airlines with HBO fares charge even for the 1st checked piece, right?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Other *A airlines with HBO fares charge even for the 1st checked piece, right?
LX and NZ do charge.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1

Third, in a day and age when air carriers provide generous carry on allowances which allow the average traveler to pack for 5-7 days without need of checked luggage, the outmoded view that "all full service carriers provide free checked luggage" is simply outmoded. BA offers such fares, LH offers such fares, and many others will move in that direction. Why? So that people who want cheaper fares can purchase those and people who feel the need to check a bag can purchase fares which include baggage.
I agree but it's quite difficult to pack for 5-7 days when your carry-on allowance is 8 kg. U.S carriers don't seem to care about weight that much, but LH and OS are generally very strict ... they ought to relax these restrictions somewhat to offset the zero checked bag situation.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by warakorn
@
I think it is legal. Swiss and Air New Zealand has been practising the same, as well.
NZ has been doing it since 2010, and sells seat only fares on all services up to 9hours.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/seat

At the time Rob Fyfe was the Chair of the *A board, hence how they got away with bending/changing the rules.

NZ also doesn't allow *A Gold passenger to take an extra bag in business class, you get 3x 23kg bags and nothing extra ontop.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..With the introduction of the GDS distribution charge (EUR 16), these travel bookings sites will face an uphill battle to sell that ticket cheaper than LH direct. I am quite sure that LH will raise that fee over the next year, effectively cutting travel agencies, who book through a GDS, out of the game.
Therefore, people will increasingly book on lh.com, where there is a clear disclaimer on the Hand Baggage Only fares...
Are you certain that grey market fares attract the GDS surcharge?

When studying the BA/LH Premium Economy fare war from my home location, I found it worrisome that 3rd party booking sites now consistently sell LH fares all-in a lot cheaper than lufthansa.com does. This wasn't the case before.

Same for CX. This is the first year that I used those 3rd party portals a fair bit as I stopped caring about M&M miles and CX is an LCC anyway. Odd evolution for me in contrast to what all the media claims.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:05 pm

First and foremost, the fact that there is no checked luggage allowance is not only disclosed in the "fine print" (defined on FT as anything which people don't like and don't think ought to apply to them), but it is apparent on the website which specifically states at the column header..
Nope.

The fact that elites - who get the 10kg/20kg/1 piece benefit rubbed into their faces in the bi-annual leaflet of LH - get the denial of a made promise served several pages in, in non-highlighted text.

I am quite certain that you could dispute those charges in many non-DE European legislations, especially if booked through third parties, but who'd go for that effort for a few bucks?
..If the free market moved from LH to FR, LH would either lower prices, increase services or go under..
Yes and if the management was evil Thor would smash them!

The free market and Thor being about equally real when it comes to air travel.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But that's the way they work, isn't it, as a company that doesn't seem very transparent or honest in any way? If the company's sick at the top, it's sick all the way down.

One way to solve the problem would be, if they're going to make baggage chargeable for everyone, elites alike, to make it a flat fee regardless of whether you do it at the airport or previously online or wherever. But that would be too easy and transparent, wouldn't it? What I do not like is the feeling that I've been caught in a trap and have to pay a fine for it. I really hate that and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
But, LH doesn't make baggage chargeable for all. It only makes it chargeable for people who choose to purchase fares which are clearly labeled "hand baggage only." A reasonable person who chooses such a feature ought not to believe that "hand baggage only" means "freebie checked bags."

The Greek Chorus of LH management being somehow poisoned is misplaced on this issue. Perhaps not on others.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:43 am

You may also argue it is somewhat a bit deceiptful by the passenger, if he selects a HBO fare and then still want to check in a bag...
Well they are trained by the American LCCs that elites get bags for free even though all non-premium fares are handluggage only. And with the US carriers regularly being the stingiest ones in the game, I can see how this extrapolation would make sense.
..I simply do not understand why giving consumers a choice is a bad thing..
You are American would understand best of us how "pro choice" is being viewed as being 'bad' by roughly half of the population....
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by weero
You are American would understand best of us how "pro choice" is being viewed as being 'bad' by roughly half of the population....
Smart weero.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Smart weero.
But, fails to answer the question of why it's such a horrible thing for a business to offer its consumers a product which some apparently want and others, who do not, need not select.

Presumably if the scheme doesn't catch on, LH will drop it in due course as simply occupying space on its websites.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
At the recent "Kamingespräch" in FRA, LH management clearly mentioned that they wish to attract a new group of customer which they previously could not catch.
The hand baggage only fares are supposed to attract customers who purely buy on price.

(my personal view is that the HBO fares are now at a price level where the previous base fares where. Thus the new fare system is de facto a price increase. Good luck attracting those new customer groups...)
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:10 pm

I'm sure McKinley identified a ripe, untapped market of consumers that avoided LH because it still offered too much for the price, even with the BDSM NEK and other enhancements.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
At the recent "Kamingespräch" in FRA, LH management clearly mentioned that they wish to attract a new group of customer which they previously could not catch.
The hand baggage only fares are supposed to attract customers who purely buy on price.
Well, LH is doing a good job on it - still offering LIGHT fares of up to EUR 500 one-way.

If the company's sick at the top, it's sick all the way down.
Well, I know of one LH group employee, who was mentally sick. It's A.L.

Last edited by warakorn; Oct 12, 2015 at 7:02 am
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
And I've just learned, thanks to a casual comment in a thread on the BA forum which compares easyJet to BA, that easyJet offer excellent prices for a business-type fare which offers free rebooking for a period of 1 month, free baggage, free fast track through security, priority (speedy) boarding and a number of other bells and whistles. The only bell and whistle that's not included is the catering. Now, I don't usually look at easyJet because they don't connect the places I need to go to and I value my miles and elite benefits, etc. etc. But I need to do a RT from AMS to LGW, which obviously is outside LH's market and I managed to get the outbound for €65 and the inbound for €87. That's an excellent deal, much better than anything BA or LH can offer.

The point is, if this is what the LCCs are offering these days there's no way the likes of LH can compete. They should stay a full service carrier, after all, that's what they are good at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.