Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Raf
Guys,

The straight solution is to buy a ticket with LO Segment. Always get a 2 pcs.of checked baggage limit.
They checked my lug. without a hassle on different PNR's WAW-MAD (LO/L)-ZRH(LX/C)-YUL (LX/C)-YVR(AC/C).It works and bag arrived as planned on Vancouver. That's the truly power of *A. Absolutely.

Cheers from British Columbia,

Raf
Or just get any combination of *A airlines on the ticket. I've had luggage included on SN+LX, SK+LX, OS+LO, and other combinations. (The only exception might be if you only mix the LH group airlines, but even then I'm not 100% sure.)

Often those combinations give me a cheaper ticket too.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Most of these combinations cannot be booked on the airline websites.

These multi-airline itineraries are offered by OTAs. The problem here is that I do not know as a passenger whether baggage is included or not before I am hitting the "Book Now" button. Unfortunately, the fare code does not indicate whether you are faced with a LIGHT or CLASSIC fare.

If you are a Star Gold member and want to travel within Europe with lots of bags (e.g. two big ones), the difference of having a CLASSIC or LIGHT fare ticket could be substantial.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by warakorn
Most of these combinations cannot be booked on the airline websites.

These multi-airline itineraries are offered by OTAs. The problem here is that I do not know as a passenger whether baggage is included or not before I am hitting the "Book Now" button. Unfortunately, the fare code does not indicate whether you are faced with a LIGHT or CLASSIC fare.

If you are a Star Gold member and want to travel within Europe with lots of bags (e.g. two big ones), the difference of having a CLASSIC or LIGHT fare ticket could be substantial.
If you book a multi airline ticket from OTA that includes a non-LH group airline, you are guaranteed to get luggage included - the non-luggage fares just can't be combined with other airlines. (As mentioned before, I'm not sure what happens when it's only a mix of LH/LX/OS, but I have a feeling they'll be light since their fares can be combined).

I'm pretty sure Expedia expressly give you an accurate luggage prediction for all itineraries (that said I booked my LX/SN itinerary via SN, but all my other mixed tickets were from Expedia). Haven't done that in a few months though.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
If you book a multi airline ticket from OTA that includes a non-LH group airline, you are guaranteed to get luggage included - the non-luggage fares just can't be combined with other airlines. (As mentioned before, I'm not sure what happens when it's only a mix of LH/LX/OS, but I have a feeling they'll be light since their fares can be combined).
I've had LX+OS+LH metal combined tickets which were Light fares. So definitely possible to stay "Light" as long as it's within LH Group.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I booked a one-way ticket (intraEurope) from united.com with united ticket number for travel on SWISS. Only three options - discount, flex, business. Later I realized that what I have is a Light Fare from the SWISS site when I went to do seat assignment.

Hence I went ahead and paid from the SWISS site, 10Euro for a seat assignment (which included the exit row) and 17Euro for one bag.

Why would United book the Light fare from their website?

Also - as *Gold - do I sill have access to the LH Senator's Lounge? Departing TXL.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:53 pm

Because that's how LH/LX sells their service through third party channels, light fare by default.

Lounge access is yet to be enhanced.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
According to enhanced *A rules *G is allowed to take extra bag on connecting Star Alliance flights , so on LH/LX/OS mixed flights one bag should be allowed for *A passengers
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:39 pm

I'm in a little clinch with expedia
Booked oneway brussels copenhagen (brussels airline) and the screen clearly stated 1 piece of checked luggage.
Expedia of course booked me into light with no luggage.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by SPlDER
According to enhanced *A rules *G is allowed to take extra bag on connecting Star Alliance flights , so on LH/LX/OS mixed flights one bag should be allowed for *A passengers
No. When your fare does not have ANY allowance, you won't get an extra bag (extra as in, only if your allowance is already ONE bag, you'll get one more extra) - and you can perfectly mix LH/LX/OS on keep on being Light (ie, no baggage) - only if you add carriers outside of LH Group, it will not be Light anymore (but more expensive)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:13 am

Not just about the Light fare class, but this seemed the most appropriate place.

On the LX baggage info page, a "Personal Item" is defined as 40 x 30 x 10cm; no weight limit specified.

However, OLCI explicitly states that the personal ite can be 55 x 40 x 23cm, i.e. the same size as a carry on suitcase, with a weight limit of 8kg.

What is correct?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:43 am

Carry on : 55 x 40 x 23 cm, 8 kg

Personal item: 40 x 30 x 10 cm

Instead of a carry on you can use a foldable garment bag 57 x 54 x 15 cm

Last edited by PetzLUX; Aug 15, 2016 at 4:50 am
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SPlDER
Why ain't you just happy that such fares are available? I really appreciate that I can book without all these extras I do not need. Most of my travel for business is a day or a day and a night. I don't need any luggage and I always found it annoying that I had to pay for luggage transportation (included in the fare) I never required.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Why ain't you just happy that such fares are available? I really appreciate that I can book without all these extras I do not need. Most of my travel for business is a day or a day and a night. I don't need any luggage and I always found it annoying that I had to pay for luggage transportation (included in the fare) I never required.
I think this isn't the issue here.

Most of the FTers are happy when presented choices.

What most here - including myself - don't like about the "Light" fares is that in most cases/destinations, the entry fares haven't been reduced when "Light" was rolled out, in fact, they were increased for more destinations than those that saw a reduction.

If the "Classic" tarif would have been what it was before - or, even a little bit more than the original entry fare before - we wouldn't have minded. As long as "Light" would really have been cheaper than the entry fare before.

But basically, LH Group used the Light fares to keep their entry fares (+/-) but slashing free luggage + ASR.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
That could be a true if the light fares actually delivered on that promise on a lower price, which is not the case.
And now you're paying for the IT work and consulting contracts that put them in place - which you never required.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:32 am
esp
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lack
That could be a true if the light fares actually delivered on that promise on a lower price, which is not the case.
In real terms, air fares are at historic lows. That side of the equation is often forgotten when discussing airlines' "enhancements".

After all, the gain you have from buying a good or a service is the utility you get from consuming it minus what you must give up to get it.

Not quite sure why people sometimes ignore the second part. Maybe they just like to complain. I've seen bizarre forum discussions around this. Sometimes, when you bring up ticket prices, people respond with red herring arguments about that great deal they were able to score on tickets back in the day (which is besides the point, as average/median/typical ticket prices have come down substantially).

On a different note, reductions in the quality of the service (such a no more free meals or no free checked bags) are not the whole story, either. Where I live (FRA), today I can choose from many more direct routes than, say, 10 or 20 years ago. Not having to use connecting flights is a huge quality improvement for me personally. As are online check-in options (no more dreaded lines at the check-in counter when flying Y).

Last edited by esp; Aug 15, 2016 at 7:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.