Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by weero
Are you certain that this was a Light Fare?

Here.
I've seen this for different airlines. I think that due to It government flying out if Italy the baggage allowance is indeed 1 free checked bag.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
I've seen this for different airlines. I think that due to It government flying out if Italy the baggage allowance is indeed 1 free checked bag.
I too believe to remember this.

Didn't Brazil also enforce mandatory luggage allowance on all flights to and from Brazil?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: TK Gold
Got a response from my flight of CDG-MUC-YUL. was charged 60 euro for the baggage fee.

I told them I should not be charged for the fee. After four month back and forth, they sent me a response of fare rule that

"In response to your inquiry, we would like to tell you that according with the information of your e-ticket; you did not have baggage included in your reservation. Therefore, a fee applied. Please, bear in mind that the baggage allowed in the bookings depends on the fare.

For further information, we suggest you visit the following link regarding our fares."
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:46 am

They clearly stated that Europe fares shouldn't be applied in my case. I just sent a response to them again. Let's see what will they say...

Do the Europe fares also apply to connecting flights to and from long-haul flights?

The Europe fares do not apply to connecting flights to and from an intercontinental connection with a through fare. In this case you are automatically flying in Economy Class on a fare that includes one piece of baggage up to 23 kg. For example, if you book a long-haul flight from New York to Stockholm via Frankfurt, you don’t have to worry about the fare conditions of the connecting flight within Europe.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:16 pm

Adding another *G on LH data point. Today the agents attempted to charge me for my checked bag on Eco Light (UA ticket stock, basic economy) for my CDG-FRA-DEN return.

I had not used the calculator prior to booking, but instead had read the LH Economy Light page with the *G exception for a free checked bag on international. I was surprised when I was at the gate and the calculator showed no free checked bag.

After a polite debate with the ticketing agent and a couple of managers, I showed the Economy Light web page with its clear statement on the
policy and the manager took photos of the text and gave me an exception, waiving the fee. It definitely feels like false advertising to have that statement and not honor the free checked bag. If the calculator is the source of truth then they should remove any fine print that gives conflicting information.

My only thought here is that my connection from CDG-FRA made the system think the ticket wasn’t international, but again everything was booked on a single DEN-CDG international ticket so this would be an odd bug if so.

Keep fighting, Tobias.
tobiashenry likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by camrob
Adding another *G on LH data point. Today the agents attempted to charge me for my checked bag on Eco Light (UA ticket stock, basic economy) for my CDG-FRA-DEN return.

I had not used the calculator prior to booking, but instead had read the LH Economy Light page with the *G exception for a free checked bag on international. I was surprised when I was at the gate and the calculator showed no free checked bag.

After a polite debate with the ticketing agent and a couple of managers, I showed the Economy Light web page with its clear statement on the
policy and the manager took photos of the text and gave me an exception, waiving the fee. It definitely feels like false advertising to have that statement and not honor the free checked bag. If the calculator is the source of truth then they should remove any fine print that gives conflicting information.

My only thought here is that my connection from CDG-FRA made the system think the ticket wasn’t international, but again everything was booked on a single DEN-CDG international ticket so this would be an odd bug if so.

Keep fighting, Tobias.
FRA-DEN was on UA or on LH?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:54 pm

FRA-DEN was LH as well.

DEN-ORD-CDG was UA.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by camrob
FRA-DEN was LH as well.

DEN-ORD-CDG was UA.
yeah, then LH should apply their rules w/ BE TATL & SAG getting a checked bag.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:35 pm

I actually got a reply from LH's Twitter team, and I forwarded this message to the Customer Service Team. Let's see what they are going to say.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
I actually got a reply from LH's Twitter team, and I forwarded this message to the Customer Service Team. Let's see what they are going to say.
After a month, LH still refused to pay me back 60 EUR. I regretted not paying the fee on credit card then I could have probably dispute it.

I guess the next step is to file a complain to the Civil Aviation Authority or really do a small claim in court ( not sure if it's worth it)
Old Aug 25, 2022, 3:14 pm

That seems to be pretty definitive; incredible that LH doesn't honor this policy consistently.

A complaint with the aviation authorities sounds like a good next step. I did the same when UA was playing games with refunds in mid-2020 and after my FAA complaint they processed a refund. Even without a refund enough complaints should hopefully pressure LH to either remove the allowance or fix their systems.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
@ihateturbulance

You really make me angry!
I do not see you post as anything newsworthy. This topic has been discussed in numerous other posts/threads.

The Star Alliance website does not say that. Please quote me the relevant section!

I think it is legal. Swiss and Air New Zealand has been practising the same, as
well.

​​​​​Its legal and in fact Star Gold members with iight fares should not be upgraded as well. You decide to save $$$ so why would it be fair to use status to get free bags? For instance Hilton requires you to book direct to get the benefits. I can book direct and do a price match and get 25 percent more off the rate.

If I am a Gold member chances are I have the means to afford an all inclusive fare I never purchase a non luggage fare
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
You replied to a 7-year-old post, but...

Originally Posted by danielonn
​​​​​You decide to save $$$ so why would it be fair to use status to get free bags?
I don't know, why would it be fair to get lounge access on a Light fare? Or priority boarding? Why don't we unilaterally cut all published *A benefits on Light fares?
​​​​​
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
​​​​​Its legal and in fact Star Gold members with iight fares should not be upgraded as well. You decide to save $$$ so why would it be fair to use status to get free bags? For instance Hilton requires you to book direct to get the benefits. I can book direct and do a price match and get 25 percent more off the rate.

If I am a Gold member chances are I have the means to afford an all inclusive fare I never purchase a non luggage fare
Lufthansa has built an airline inside an airline and they're really just competing head-to-head with Ryanair with this nonsense.

How this is received by at least some of their elite status holders? LH: "Oh, you earned our status legitimately and continue to maintain it? So what. Now it's time to throw extra money at us for things that we told you 'back then' you'd be able to enjoy now--exactly because you've been loyal to us. Oh, and we'll be upgrading the United customer who has no status and ignoring you with your Lite ticket in spite of your proven loyalty in the past. Sike!"

p.s. Your Hilton analogy is lost on me. What does that experience have to do with LH? Because LH certainly isn't price-matching anyone--and LH's even outright gouging people on credit card and currency exchange transactions, dragging their feet on refunding, and denying legitimate claims. Why the EU and German government don't reel them in on their predatory and borderline-racketeering tactics escapes me.

Last edited by Grog; Aug 30, 2022 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: A3 *G
So just to be clear, there is no longer any *G longhaul exemption for light fares?

I booked an expensive (H) fare on an OTA (fare was not available on LH/LX) and could have sworn it included luggage.

It's bad enough booking a flight that credits 100% miles in economy where one leg is on 4Y, but having looked into the booking again, OTA makes no mention of luggage and LH has it as a light fare.

LX website and LH calculator indicate no free checked bag. So this benefit is gone for good? Just some gate agents still applying the old rule, sometimes, if you're lucky?

LX website specifically states: "Passengers with the following status enjoy the benefits of higher baggage limits on all SWISS-operated intercontinental flights.This benefit does not apply with Light fares."

Last edited by eshroom; Aug 31, 2022 at 12:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.