Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Free bag for *G on long haul LH light fare still applies (if the bag is checked in at the airport), it's published on Lufthansa site.
LX never showed the same good will gesture.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by andywaw
Free bag for *G on long haul LH light fare still applies (if the bag is checked in at the airport), it's published on Lufthansa site.
LX never showed the same good will gesture.
Not if you're @tobiashenry though, apparently...
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by gojko88
You replied to a 7-year-old post, but...

I don't know, why would it be fair to get lounge access on a Light fare? Or priority boarding? Why don't we unilaterally cut all published *A benefits on Light fares?
​​​​​
Agreed if I am a frequent flier and even I am not so frequent I am buying the standard fare. I never once booked Basic Economy. For $30 more its not a huge deal breaker even on an hour flight especially if it means lounge access. Heck you can spend more than $30 at an airport restaurant.
VRFast likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by eshroom
So just to be clear, there is no longer any *G longhaul exemption for light fares?

I booked an expensive (H) fare on an OTA (fare was not available on LH/LX) and could have sworn it included luggage.

It's bad enough booking a flight that credits 100% miles in economy where one leg is on 4Y, but having looked into the booking again, OTA makes no mention of luggage and LH has it as a light fare.

LX website and LH calculator indicate no free checked bag. So this benefit is gone for good? Just some gate agents still applying the old rule, sometimes, if you're lucky?

LX website specifically states: "Passengers with the following status enjoy the benefits of higher baggage limits on all SWISS-operated intercontinental flights.This benefit does not apply with Light fares."
I book directly and its fair for LH to not include benefits on third party tickets
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Look at the ticket that was issued by the OTA, that will show the luggage allowance.
eshroom likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
I book directly and its fair for LH to not include benefits on third party tickets
I am not aware of any airline refusing benefits for people booking through 3rd party agents (with the exception of tickets booked on a 3rd airline's stock, which occasionally happens), but I am intrigued to know why you think this would be fair?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:17 am

Hi, first time booking Economy Light return tickets for WAW-FRA-ORD. First leg is LH, second is codeshare with United. Should I add registered baggage on United site or LH? Everything is on one PNR so I assume that buying baggage allowance for US leg is enough?
I only need 2 checked bags for 4 tickets so it still should be cheaper than Economy fares. Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by zonzi
Hi, first time booking Economy Light return tickets for WAW-FRA-ORD. First leg is LH, second is codeshare with United. Should I add registered baggage on United site or LH? Everything is on one PNR so I assume that buying baggage allowance for US leg is enough?
I only need 2 checked bags for 4 tickets so it still should be cheaper than Economy fares. Thanks
You would do that on LH as that is who you are getting the ticket from. Also the extra bag is per ticket, not per leg. Expect to pay about $75 for the first one per pax.

I don't get Eco Light though on that ticket. Eco Light is available for WAW-VIE-ORD on OS for me, but on the random dates I chose, Eco Basic is the cheapest option, and that does already include a bag each.
zonzi likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:30 pm

So if you fly out (longhaul light fare) LX and back LH, do you benefit from the LH free bag for the entire ticket or just the return leg?

EDIT: It seems the last leg intra-Europe is Eurowings 😭 will I still be allowed to take the hand luggage on with me, that I'll have taken on all the other flights, or will I be charged at check-in?

Last edited by eshroom; Oct 11, 2022 at 2:41 pm
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by eshroom
So if you fly out (longhaul light fare) LX and back LH, do you benefit from the LH free bag for the entire ticket or just the return leg?
LH leg only
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by andywaw
LH leg only
I asked Swiss on Facebook and it seem LX also offer the exception, even though it is not stated on their website. It might be worth asking LX before a flight over Facebook/Twitter so you have something concrete to show the gate agent in case the try and argue a case.

hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought it was LH Group oops. So only LH and LX, not OS and SN?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
I thought it was LH Group oops. So only LH and LX, not OS and SN?
It is only a published benefit on LH website, but it seems it is practised across the group. Best to ask in advance as checkin agents seem to be pretty keen on charging sometimes.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:59 am

Programs: Miles and Bonus

Brussels Airlines FYI
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Is that for longhaul? because if for intra-Europe then it's nothing new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.