Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cas_de
The pilots I know are keen to keep flying until the very last day before reaching the mandatory retirement age. It'd be interesting to know if the number of pilots that want to retire at age 55 is really significant, or, if this just a "we-will-fight-for-it-because-we-have-had-this-in-the-past" kinda battle?
It really has little to do with wanting to keep flying (maybe one or two exceptions to that) but it simply has to do with money. It's a rather cushy job that earns significantly for those now flying. They simply want to keep flying to maximize their earnings in those extra years, and then end up with an even better pension.

Not something I find strange, I would sure like to do the same. But they seem lacking in understanding (or maybe they do, they just don't give a damn) what this could mean to a company...

It's not always so black and white that one party is completely right and the other is wrong. It's simply a negotiation.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
It's simply a negotiation.
Yes, exactly. The potential to strike, and actual strikes are the unions most powerful tool (both in terms of negotiating with LH, and justifying the union fees paid by members).
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
I'm on an award ticket, on a host of LH group flights the first week of May: JFK-VIE-OTP on OS, OTP-ZRH on LX, ZRH-MUC-AMS on CL, and BRU-JFK on SN.

If the strike happens, does this impact all of these flights, or just the CL ones?

And, for IRROPS, will they look at only my final destination (technically OTP, since I have a lot of <23-hour "connections?")? And are train trips possible for international reacommodations, or just intra-Germany?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I've just had to rebook my flight for Thursday.... couldn't take the risk of a delay. So it's not the pilots but Verdi that will cause some problems in the short term.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ianmanka
I'm on an award ticket, on a host of LH group flights the first week of May: JFK-VIE-OTP on OS, OTP-ZRH on LX, ZRH-MUC-AMS on CL, and BRU-JFK on SN.

If the strike happens, does this impact all of these flights, or just the CL ones?

And, for IRROPS, will they look at only my final destination (technically OTP, since I have a lot of <23-hour "connections?")? And are train trips possible for international reacommodations, or just intra-Germany?
AFAIK even CL may not be affected, the VC strike will LH and 4U only.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:59 am

FRA will be crippled Thursday from 3:30a to 2:30p local. Baggage / aircraft handlers, freight personnel, admin, etc all expected to walk. Hope the baby sitters are happy that their plight will now effect 10's of thousands of people. but I guess that's what a union is designed to do....
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AFAIK even CL may not be affected, the VC strike will LH and 4U only.
I hope that's the case! And this is assuming that there's a strike at all.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by MumbaiDan
I second that. LH pilots have totally lost their minds. Same holds true for so many German, in particular public, workers. They just don't get that the world outside of Germany is in struggle....
Not much to do with 'mind' .

If you are in a position of power, you can use it for your leverage. This is after all what every management does. And from the management, the workers have learned that game.

Or do you think management salaries are high because management is so valuable to the companies and their talents are so rare? Both can actually be well true but that would not trigger high salaries.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
I'm scheduled to fly LH from IAH-FRA on April 1 with a return of April 9. I chose these routes because they are using the 380A - a new aviation experience for me. I booked this through UA. Latest news I saw this evening said strike could occur at anytime between these dates. Would UA give me a chance to reschedule this itinerary or would I be better off requesting a refund? I'm booked in Business so would that give me an edge in getting what I want? Can anyone offer some sage advice? Will travel insurance cover the bulk of any unforeseen circumstances? Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
The strike will be announced 48h in advance and LH will adjust the schedule. Then you proceed as per the comments in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...interview.html
Worrying now makes no sense.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The strike will be announced 48h in advance and LH will adjust the schedule. Then you proceed as per the comments in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...interview.html
Worrying now makes no sense.
Worrying is the easy part. It is the doing something about the situation when/if it occurs that will the challenge...
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
The best would be to have LH pilots strike on Friday
(it's not funny though)
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2 Million Miler, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, QF
Originally Posted by mashlakito
The best would be to have LH pilots strike on Friday
(it's not funny though)
Agreed, I'm on LH975 Friday ABZ-FRA but LH sez it is still scheduled.

For info http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Travel-information.

Not much choice since my connection FRA-IAH on UA.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
perhaps you'll reconsider if God forbid you should incur an emergency mid-flight over the atlantic and only 2 people on board can save you where as a bus driver just needs to pullover at his convenience.
Or divert you over another ocean ....

It seems to me that you have never driven a bus. "Pilots just have to land safely when something happens" would not do the job justice either. The vast majority of the work in both cases are invested in preventing "things from happening".

And if you look at the great accident statistics of busses outside of Singapore (where they seem to be involved in every single collision in one way or another), I think "pulling over" isn't what defines their job honour.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by weero
Or divert you over another ocean ....

It seems to me that you have never driven a bus. "Pilots just have to land safely when something happens" would not do the job justice either. The vast majority of the work in both cases are invested in preventing "things from happening".

And if you look at the great accident statistics of busses outside of Singapore (where they seem to be involved in every single collision in one way or another), I think "pulling over" isn't what defines their job honour.
No I haven't driven a bus, but my point is that given 2 sets of emergencies, the aircraft is at far greater risk for disaster than a bus since for an aircraft there will be far fewer options to land safely than for a bus to pull over safely. I'm not saying that he bus driver's job is marginalized, it's just IMHO the aircraft pilot needs to have more in his 'skillset' toolbox.

My acid test for this would be that I would much rather be on a bus that is out of control or suffering an emergency (flat tire, engine fire, etc) than on an aircraft at 38k feet over the atlantic when the engines go quiet....I think if anyone would rather be on a plane vs. a bus on a given emergency is asking for far more trouble!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.