Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Brussels [BRU]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I would be fine for the 85 minutes, but I can see why you are unsure.

Problem is, you don't have good alternatives. You might get moved to previous days late afternoon flight, but that means both losing an evening in Rome and having to figure out a hotel. The airline is quite unlikely to pay for it.

Did you book it with United? I expect they would be more likely to let you change to a flight via different hub.

And then there is the last option - which might maybe just work out - if you can get alternative tickets for a similar cost as the original ones, get your money refunded and buy an all-new ticket.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I would be fine for the 85 minutes, but I can see why you are unsure.

Problem is, you don't have good alternatives. You might get moved to previous days late afternoon flight, but that means both losing an evening in Rome and having to figure out a hotel. The airline is quite unlikely to pay for it.

Did you book it with United? I expect they would be more likely to let you change to a flight via different hub.

And then there is the last option - which might maybe just work out - if you can get alternative tickets for a similar cost as the original ones, get your money refunded and buy an all-new ticket.
Appreciate the feedback. Yes booked with United (it's an award ticket). Poking around right now I don't see any appealing alternatives for flights (in business class) from FCO - ORD that I could theoretically switch to. Might just wait a bit and see if more saver award space opens up.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Being an award could indeed make it more complicated.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:26 am

85 minutes for a Schengen to non-Schengen connection at BRU is not bad. (I think the MCT for that is 55 minutes...?) You do not have to worry about clearing security, since you only have to clear immigration (leaving Schengen).

You will arrive at pier A. Flights to the US leave from either pier B or from pier "T" (which is actually the end of pier A, closed off with an immigration check point, which would mean that you only have a very short walk to the new gate). But it looks as if that flight generally uses the B gates... (not sure how accurate the information that I have found is).

Walking from A to B takes 5 to 15 minutes (depending on the exact gates, and not counting the immigration check in between). I often read reports of long lines at immigration at BRU. But when I depart at that time in the morning I do see lines at that check point, but not extremely long. (I see that A to B checkpoint in the distance after clearing security on departure, even when flying intra-Schengen - that is why I mention it.)
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:46 am

I really don’t like BRU, but I don’t see reasons to worry about that connection. If no extraordinary incidents like strikes occurs, Kaipoman will catch the connecting flight.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:08 am

Thanks, all!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Bumping an older thread to ask if anyone has more recent experience. A poster above mentioned airport improvements coming. That was 5 years ago so wondering......

I appear to have a choice between Brussels and Vienna for my intra-Europe connection from an AC TATL. Price and timing are more or less equivalent. Would appreciate any advice about why I might want one over the other.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bartolo

I appear to have a choice between Brussels and Vienna for my intra-Europe connection from an AC TATL. Price and timing are more or less equivalent. Would appreciate any advice about why I might want one over the other.
We had a 90 minutes connection mid-December. I had requested concierge assistance in case the AC flight would get delayed.

Which it was. We finally deplaned maybe 25 minutes before departure of our connection and made it. No concierge but an airport person giving priority security passes. Which turned out to be unnecessary. There is now a security station and I think passport control separate from arrivals for connecting passengers, and both were pretty much empty. Only nerve-wracking detail, my wife had hip replacement so when going through security she needed separate screening. The guy had to call the lady who was way in front checking boarding passes; she coyld not hear him, and took forever to come. With not just us but the whole (single) line waiting.

Then we walking very fast from the International to the Schengen wing, moving quickly around all the potted plants growing roots. Made it with a bit of time to spare, but sweating. So yes the new security+passport control do help.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by Bartolo

Did Brussels and Vienna in late Nov and early Dec respectively.

BRU - no additional security after passport control. Was on J from YUL. When I got to passport control it was empty. Got to gate within 20-30 min after deplaning.

VIE - additional security check required after passport control. It is the main check and not a separate one. Crowded but efficient. J from YYZ and also empty for passport check. Schengen gates require a mini bus transfer after securityr. Got to get after 30-40 min.

personally I would take BRU. Both require a lot of walking, VIE is much less crowded but BRU is more modern and a nicer walk. Plus chocolates at duty free

Last edited by YYZ_tatlflyer; Jan 7, 2020 at 12:35 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Has BRU done anything to improve the flow in the opposite direction? An absolute mess when I was there in July; my wife and I would have missed our 65-minute connection with on-time inbound if not for concierge intervention, due to the ridiculously long line for immigration exiting Schengen.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: aeroplan
I flew back via FRA in Nov so not sure if any improvements have been made recently. In early Oct I had the same experience as you. It took almost an hour to clear the immigration line
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Many thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like each connection point has its advantages and disadvantages. I read on a different part of FT that the lounge in VIE has good food offerings, though.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this not about Air Canada but rather connecting on SN at BRU it's been moved to the Lufthansa, Swiss Brussels, LOT & Other Partners forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:34 am

Brussels Connection

Ticket to Madrid has connection from United to Brussels Airlines in August at BRU. Have Spanish passport & Spain says no problem for entry as long as health document is presented. Will I be allowed to connect?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EEA Nationals (which includes Spain) are allowed to enter Belgium, so you should be fine:

Belgium
Published 07.07.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter.
This does not apply to:
- passengers arriving from EEA Member States or Switzerland;
- nationals of Andorra, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia (Rep.), San Marino, Serbia, Switzerland, Vatican City (Holy See) and EEA Member States;
- passengers with a British passport with nationality “British Citizen", “British Overseas Territories Citizen" issued by Gibraltar and British Passports with a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode issued by the United Kingdom;
- passengers with a long-term residence permit or a long term "D" visa issued by EEA Member States, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, returning via Belgium to their country of residence;
- family members of nationals of EEA Member States and Switzerland;
- family members of British nationals;
- military personnel.
2. A completed "Health Declaration Form" must be presented upon arrival
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

https://www.brusselsairport.be/en/pa...border-control

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.