Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Business Class coming to LH [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:12 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I doubt it. They're not looking for a seat that's simply favorable compared to the current product. They're looking for a seat that will clearly be a winner, or an upgrade over existing lie-flats.
All past experience contradicts this. Vehemently. LH's key concern has always been that the segmentation between the classes is maximal and that C must not even be a remote threat for the overall F product.

A seat that comes close to any of today's fishbone designs, a soft counter facing design such as BA, let alone a convertible like SQ's would be a terrible threat for nearly all F installations LH runs.
In fact given the privacy and the superior video. I'd probably prefer an SQ C seat over LH's F (if it the wasn't for the fish eggs and the huge advantage of not having to see the painted Singa elves).

They fear themselves much more than they fear the competition. They fought the battle for coach successfully on the cost and not the quality side and where is any shred of evidence that the approach for Biz might be any different?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by weero
All past experience contradicts this. Vehemently. LH's key concern has always been that the segmentation between the classes is maximal and that C must not even be a remote threat for the overall F product.

A seat that comes close to any of today's fishbone designs, a soft counter facing design such as BA, let alone a convertible like SQ's would be a terrible threat for nearly all F installations LH runs.
In fact given the privacy and the superior video. I'd probably prefer an SQ C seat over LH's F (if it the wasn't for the fish eggs and the huge advantage of not having to see the painted Singa elves).

They fear themselves much more than they fear the competition. They fought the battle for coach successfully on the cost and not the quality side and where is any shred of evidence that the approach for Biz might be any different?
sad but so true...
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:12 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
The last three comments ... I didn't think of it as product differentiation from F, but surely there is enough different now the new F product is in?

LH, like AF benefit from a huge captive domestic market so they can go slow with the retrofit and save money... That's what happened last time round as well. On routes not pertinent to domestic market where the comp now has better seats (India/China to the Americas, or Europe -SA for instance) they just crash their prices! Seems to work.....
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1k
Lavatories

Are they upgrading the C Lav's now? Was hard to tell from the pr.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
So which longhaul C/Cl are they going to spend 60 months retrofitting?
60 months? You must be a real optimist. I was thinking somewhere around 2020 might be a more realistic target completion date.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: their are many of them
I think the Swiss A330s should serve as a good model for how the new LH C will be

I would imagine LH installs a product that will give it an edge over Air France and the other european carriers on the longhaul routes.

Why does everyone assume that as the launch customer for the 747-800 LH won't go all out with the new C and make it really good.

Is the new F not amazing for people ? just because you make a really strong hard product in C does mean it will infringe in the F market,

The personal service and all the soft product in F is what really sets that above C

I mean in the Old F and Old C .... I actualyl prefer the video screen in C because it is a larger screen. Everything else i will take F
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by rathin100
... I didn't think of it as product differentiation from F, but surely there is enough different now the new F product is in?
In ... where?

The 380? Sure. But that's it for the moment and it probably is the very reason why introducing a bearable C stool is scheduled to take forever as any average quality C hardware (not even something outstanding) will close the gap to F too dramatically before F will be 'secured'.

When it came to crippling the 320 class planes with the NEK, it also didn't take 60 months ...
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

I don't see lie-flat as being a threat to F. It's not a problem for many airlines; I don't see it being a problem for LH.

Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
I think the Swiss A330s should serve as a good model for how the new LH C will be

I would imagine LH installs a product that will give it an edge over Air France and the other european carriers on the longhaul routes.

Why does everyone assume that as the launch customer for the 747-800 LH won't go all out with the new C and make it really good.

Is the new F not amazing for people ? just because you make a really strong hard product in C does mean it will infringe in the F market,

The personal service and all the soft product in F is what really sets that above C

I mean in the Old F and Old C .... I actualyl prefer the video screen in C because it is a larger screen. Everything else i will take F
Well they didn't put new C seats that amaze people (read, lie-flat) on the A380.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:36 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I'd probably prefer an SQ C seat over LH's F (if it the wasn't for the fish eggs and the huge advantage of not having to see the painted Singa elves).
I prefer SQ C over LH Y but thats about it (yes, I really don't like the seat).

I don't think LH is really concerned about cannibalizing F. F is not a product which LH really sells. Its there for awards, upgrades etc to keep some good customers happy. I had a long chat with a LH group controller a couple of months ago and according to him F doesn't make money at all. Not even close.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer

I don't think LH is really concerned about cannibalizing F. F is not a product which LH really sells. Its there for awards, upgrades etc to keep some good customers happy. I had a long chat with a LH group controller a couple of months ago and according to him F doesn't make money at all. Not even close.
According to the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Financial Times, F doesn't make too much money on a bunch of airlines. (Trying to find the articles with screwy internet aint funt. When I get them, I'll post em.)

It specifically mentions the fact that LH installed only 8 F seats on the A380.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:05 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer

Not a surprise that F doesn't make any money. But the same is probably true for many of the manufacturers with their premium product for all types of services and goods. Having a premium product - without discussing how premium the premium LH product is ! - helps to support the brand and helps selling the cash cow products.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
Not a surprise that F doesn't make any money. But the same is probably true for many of the manufacturers with their premium product for all types of services and goods. Having a premium product - without discussing how premium the premium LH product is ! - helps to support the brand and helps selling the cash cow products.
Actually I think LH does really sell F, as does LX. CX sells it as well- and it is a significant contributor to EBITDA.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90

Well they didn't put new C seats that amaze people (read, lie-flat) on the A380.
That is because they are had to save something for the traditional flagship of LH

and beside the 747-800I is a sexier aircraft
Old Dec 6, 2011, 5:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, the A380 was three years late... the seats and everything were designed and ordered in 2003 when the current C product was the new thing in town...
Old Dec 6, 2011, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, the A380 was three years late... the seats and everything were designed and ordered in 2003 when the current C product was the new thing in town...

Good point

^

Once again great job Airbus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.