Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:32 pm

Hello I am arriving business class around 7ish PM on a Friday later this summer. I don't have GE. How busy is customs is at this time? I am a US Citizen. Would using the kiosks or going straight into line be the quickest way through out of customs?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Hello I am arriving business class around 7ish PM on a Friday later this summer. I don't have GE. How busy is customs is at this time? I am a US Citizen. Would using the kiosks or going straight into line be the quickest way through out of customs?
This is a good question and was wondering this as well?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
First, which terminal are you arriving? T2, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, or T7? You didn't specify so we can't really answer the first part of your question.

Second, I think you are asking a question about immigration, not customs. Once you clear immigration (either by kiosks or regular lines), you wait for your luggage by the apron and then exit customs like everyone else. There is no special lines for business class or otherwise.

Edit: I read in the other thread that you will arrive at TBIT...

Since you are arriving at TBIT, the immigration lines for foreign passport holders will be long. But US passport holders go to the kiosks and I've never spent more than 10 minutes in line since the kiosks were installed at TBIT. Once you clear immigration, the fun begins... You have to wait for your luggage to come out of the apron and LAX is notoriously slow for luggage. And there is no guarantee that they will unload the premium cabin bags first. It could take 10 minutes or it could take 90 minutes for your bags to come out. After you retrieve your bags, there are 3 separate exits for customs (or maybe 4 I don't remember exactly) and there are no special lines. Just pick the shortest.

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 25, 2016 at 7:28 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
First, which terminal are you arriving? T2, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, or T7? You didn't specify so we can't really answer the first part of your question.

Second, I think you are asking a question about immigration, not customs. Once you clear immigration (either by kiosks or regular lines), you wait for your luggage by the apron and then exit customs like everyone else. There is no special lines for business class or otherwise.

Edit: I read in the other thread that you will arrive at TBIT...

Since you are arriving at TBIT, the immigration lines for foreign passport holders will be long. But US passport holders go to the kiosks and I've never spent more than 10 minutes in line since the kiosks were installed at TBIT. Once you clear immigration, the fun begins... You have to wait for your luggage to come out of the apron and LAX is notoriously slow for luggage. And there is no guarantee that they will unload the premium cabin bags first. It could take 10 minutes or it could take 90 minutes for your bags to come out. After you retrieve your bags, there are 3 separate exits for customs (or maybe 4 I don't remember exactly) and there are no special lines. Just pick the shortest.
Sorry yes I am arriving TBIT. Thanks for the summary so it sounds like as a US citizen you recommend using the kiosks over just going into the line? Nothing anyone really can do about the luggage situation I guess.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From my Facebook feed:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
U.S. Customs & Border Protection introduced a new color coded way finding system to assist passengers as they head in to the primary inspection hall in the new Tom Bradley International Terminal. RED = U.S. or Canadian citizens. GREEN = B1 or B2, ESTA, LPR. ORANGE = Express Connection. WHITE = Global Entry. BLUE = Crew, APEC, Diplomats and special assistance. Grey = Non U.S Citizens.

Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:38 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

And a close up from the US CBP Automated Passport Control thread in the Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum:

Originally Posted by Crazydre
LAX Tom Bradley has become the second terminal (after Toronto's preclearance) where Border Crossing Cards can be used at APC, in addition to B1/B2 visas. Judging by the signage, it would appear first-time ESTA:s are also eligible (similar to Miami)
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:24 pm

My mum is flying on in AA135 from LHR, due to arrive at TBIT around 5.20pm later this week. She will have a phone, but we can't count on it working, so I'd like to plan a meeting place.

Can anyone suggest somewhere that is easy to find, inside, after customs, and ideally without involving stairs/elevators, that she or I could wait at?

The official map is useless, as it only shows the departure level

Is Cantina Laredo OK for this? If so, can anyone tell me exactly where it is?

Failing that, if I ask her to meet me at the Coffee Bean in Arrivals, is there any chance she gets lost and ends up at the Coffee Bean in Departures?!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:38 pm

Sorry, another question! I am picking more people up later in the week, again, without phones! My dad is arriving on Thomas Cook TCX824, supposedly at Terminal 2. His flight is scheduled to land at 2.45pm.

Assuming his flight is on time, will he clear immigration/customs at T2? If he's late, do they regularly move flights at that terminal to, e.g. TBIT for immigration and customs/baggage claim?

If he does arrive at T2, can someone please confirm that the Starbucks on the arrival level in that terminal is a good spot to meet?

Last edited by williamsmj; Oct 16, 2016 at 12:43 pm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by williamsmj
Is Cantina Laredo OK for this? If so, can anyone tell me exactly where it is?
Cantina Laredo is located at the south end of the TBIT arrival level (toward T4 - American Airlines). It has both bar and table seating.

Originally Posted by williamsmj
Assuming his flight is on time, will he clear immigration/customs at T2? If he's late, do they regularly move flights at that terminal to, e.g. TBIT for immigration and customs/baggage claim?
T2 has its own Federal Inspection Services facility. I do not know its opening hours; however, several international carriers operate out of that terminal, so I doubt that many passengers are bused over to TBIT for immigration and customs processing.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: LH HON
How bad is customs on Saturday afternoon? Last time I've had 90+ minute waiting time at customs - while APC was a breeze.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Clearing Customs off of LHR-LAX arriving into Terminal 7

Flying back to LAX from LHR on UA935 with the family in a week. From what I can tell, the 787-9s from LHR arrive into the outer Terminal 7 gates (77 or so).

Responses to an older post in the United thread from 2014 indicate that folks have to walk and exit through Customs in Terminal 6.

That being said, now that more of the construction being done to Terminal 7 is complete, is going through Terminal 6 still the path for clearing Customs for LHR-LAX flights? Or can you now come back up through Terminal 7 security?

Thanks in advance!

David
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by DELee
Flying back to LAX from LHR on UA935 with the family in a week. From what I can tell, the 787-9s from LHR arrive into the outer Terminal 7 gates (77 or so).

Responses to an older post in the United thread from 2014 indicate that folks have to walk and exit through Customs in Terminal 6.

That being said, now that more of the construction being done to Terminal 7 is complete, is going through Terminal 6 still the path for clearing Customs for LHR-LAX flights? Or can you now come back up through Terminal 7 security?

Thanks in advance!

David
There is only one customs hall between T6 and T7 that exits out to T6.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
There is only one customs hall between T6 and T7 that exits out to T6.
Thanks! I need to tell my father-in-law where to find us when we clear customs.

David
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T6 and T7 International Arrivals Processed and Exit out of T6

As HkCaGu replied, we did confirm that our flight (UA935) from LHR arrived into T7 (Gate 74) and then we cleared our initial customs check at the bottom level of T7, walked over to T6 via tunnel, collected our checked luggage and then completed customs and saw daylight again at the exit doors on the lower level of T6. These doors are marked as International Arrivals and are basically even with the Theme Restaurant building.

Unfortunately, my father-in-law parked over near the end of T7 parking so we ended up having to hoof our way back to T7 anyway....

I'd also note that the moving walkway in the T7-to-T6 tunnel is currently out of service so the series of walks was reminiscent of the walk to/from the gates at LHR.

David
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I will be arriving to TBIT next Saturday. Not to get too much into our circumstances, but my wife and I need to see an agent. Is there a USC line that bypasses the kiosks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.