Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead
Are they US citizens?
Yes, they are. They are scheduled to arrive a little after 6:00 and I am planning to arrive at around 7:00 to pick them up. Does that sound about right?
Old May 10, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Be aware that Air China uses Terminal 2. Currently it is going to land at 6:08 pm and it should be the only flight using Terminal 2 immigration facilities.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
TBIT immigration at 2pm

Hi all,

I will be meeting my family in LAX, myself coming off AA from ORD at 1:45pm and them coming off CX from HKG at 2:35pm. Does anyone have any experiences with TBIT immigration/customs wait times at that time? They are foreigners. Was trying to see if I could sneak in a quick In-n-Out run... and also to plan how long I should wait/if I should change to a later AA flight that lands at 3:30pm.

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I think you will be out of T4 by 2 pm for sure so there is definitely time for a burger run.

The rule of thumb for TBIT arrival for foreign visitors is 90-120 minutes from gate to curb side. US Citizens may get out of there in less time.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Awesome, thanks! I will play it safe and head back to TBIT once I see the CX plane land (hopefully if everything goes right).
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
being quizzed at the imigration desk?

last time i flew to lax i got lots of questions , where do you work , how much do you earn blah blah

is this normal ..do they have "info" on me to compare to what im saying

nothing to hide ...im just a tourist thats staying for a week or two
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by steveo3002
last time i flew to lax i got lots of questions , where do you work , how much do you earn blah blah

is this normal ..do they have "info" on me to compare to what im saying

nothing to hide ...im just a tourist thats staying for a week or two
It's behaviors interview technique. They don't really care about how much $ you make. They are looking to see if you have memorized/rehearsed stock answers and they throw in some random questions to see if you contradict yourself. The goal of course is to suss out people who are here to work illegally (i.e. people from visa waiver countries) or have intention to overstay their visa.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:51 am

yeah i assumed that was the idea to see if planned to stay,when they scan my passport what actual info do they have on folk?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:17 pm

how long to clear customs

my flight with air new zealand lhr-lax is due in at 8pm , how long should i expect to get outside for the rental bus at this time of day

was thinking 1.30 sounds realistic to collect the car?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Before I had global entry, as a US citizen, I experienced times ranges from 30 mins (one glorious day) to over 2 hours. I don't know how many other flights arrive at that time but 90 mins sounds realistic. It may very well be longer if you are not a US citizen
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:02 am

What is a "rental bus"? A shuttle bus to a rental car company? They circulate ocntinuously all the time, so no need to worry about how long it'll take you. If it's some sort of bus you need to meet at a specific time, you'd probably want to phone by cell phone when you're through Customs.

Immigration is often the largest delay, followed by wating for your bags. Actually going through Customs is usually just a matter of handing over the form you got on the flight and had initialed at Immigration. Unless you get pulled aside for secondary inspection, that should take a minute. The time to get through Immigration is, as noted here on a regular basis, dependent on how many other international flights arrive at the same terminal at the same time.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:28 am

i need to state a time for collection of the rental car
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:32 pm

Don't worry about rental car pick up time... there will be plenty of cars at Hertz when you get there

2 hours after your schedule landing time is a good estimate. 90 minutes to clear immigration and customs and 30 minutes minimum for total transit time (wait time + bus time) to the Hertz lot, which is about 3 miles from LAX T2. Traffic congestion in and around LAX can be pretty bad at evening hours.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by steveo3002
i need to state a time for collection of the rental car
Rather than give a "pick-up time", tell the car rental company what flight you are coming in on. They will calculate the pickup time from that. Furthermore, most car rental companies will hold a car for at least 4-5 hours after scheduled flight arrival time.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:25 pm

time at immigration at LAX

Hi guys, I bet this has been asked a billion times but my schedule is rather tight so I need to cover all the bases and preferably have a backup just in case...

I am going to LAX from Amsterdam via Frankfurt with united. I will land at 2059 hours. The company I have a reservation with for a rental car only operates until 2300 hours... I need them because they don't require a credit card which is absolutely necessary since it's horribly difficult for a young man to get a credit card in my country.

Now, my question is:how big are the chances of getting out of the airport in time? I have my ESTA ready and all the paper works are in order so that shouldn't be a problem.

In case it will take way over 90 minutes, what is the best way of getting to Anaheim that time of day? LA is one big maze for me and I can't seem to find clear answers so that's why I hope seasoned travelers might aid me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.