Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I will be arriving to TBIT next Saturday. Not to get too much into our circumstances, but my wife and I need to see an agent. Is there a USC line that bypasses the kiosks?
For US passport holders? I don't think so. You can either go to the Global Entry side or the regular passport side but both are kiosks. But there should be a FIS officer near the kiosks so you can probably inform that person of your needs.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:08 am

Hey everyone. I will fly to LAX in June on a flight that arrives at 7.05pm on a tuesday on Terminal 6.

I was wondering if you have any estimation on how long immigration will take for a foreigner. A friend will pick me up from the airport and I wouldn't want to ask her to be there way too early. If anyone had any suggestions on a good meeting point that would be welcomed too of course.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:18 pm

Which airline?

Terminal 6 is either Alaska or Air Canada. If you are coming from Canada, you will pre-clear immigration and custom in Canada so you will arrive as domestic passenger.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Booked a flight on SAL-LAX on Volaris Costa Rica arriving at 22:45. I'm assuming at the point in the night, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to connect to a crappy mid-con redeye on F9 that leaves at 00:59? No checked baggage.

Chris
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Booked a flight on SAL-LAX on Volaris Costa Rica arriving at 22:45. I'm assuming at the point in the night, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to connect to a crappy mid-con redeye on F9 that leaves at 00:59? No checked baggage.

Chris
As a US passport holder without checked luggage, you should be fine.

Did you read the wikipost in the 2017/8 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
As a US passport holder without checked luggage, you should be fine.

Did you read the wikipost in the 2017/8 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread?
I did. It said the MCT was 2 hours, but the average LAX traveler says 3 hours is minimum. I figured my question was specific enough being one of the last international flights to arrive.

Chris
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did. It said the MCT was 2 hours, but the average LAX traveler says 3 hours is minimum. I figured my question was specific enough being one of the last international flights to arrive.

Chris
I always travel without checked bags and I have Global Entry. I arrived on international flights at TBIT at least half a dozen times in 2017, generally in the late afternoon and early evening. It has never taken me more than fifteen minutes from exiting the plane to getting to the curb.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
Which airline?

Terminal 6 is either Alaska or Air Canada. If you are coming from Canada, you will pre-clear immigration and custom in Canada so you will arrive as domestic passenger.
Thank you for your reply. It's Air Canada! I did not know immigration would be conducted in Toronto. I researched it a little since your post and think I have an understanding of it now. If you have any idea of where to meet up with my friend that would still be nice maybe I shojld just look at a plan or something. I have never been to LAX so it is all so new.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:09 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mirasa
If you have any idea of where to meet up with my friend that would still be nice maybe I shojld just look at a plan or something. I have never been to LAX so it is all so new.
We have a thread discussing that topic:
TWA884
Los Angeles moderator
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:53 am

Chris
If you have no checked luggage, you should be able to make this connection with 2 hours.

The walk from TBIT to T5 to check in with F9 is maybe 10 minutes if you walk at a slow pace. However, LAX will be busy at that time since there are lots of transcon red eyes and international departures at LAX between 11PM and 1AM. Expect to encounter lots of vehicle traffic if you decide to take the bus to T5 (suggestion: don't do it, faster to walk especially with no large checked luggage)
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:06 pm

If you have no checked luggage, you should be able to make this connection with 2 hours.

The walk from TBIT to T5 to check in with F9 is maybe 10 minutes if you walk at a slow pace. However, LAX will be busy at that time since there are lots of transcon red eyes and international departures at LAX between 11PM and 1AM. Expect to encounter lots of vehicle traffic if you decide to take the bus to T5 (suggestion: don't do it, faster to walk especially with no large checked luggage)
Since I'll also be able to check in online for F9, I shouldn't have any need to even stop at the desk since we're not checking anything on F9 either.

Chris
Old May 2, 2018, 8:22 am

I will be arriving at LAX by United flight from Singapore (around 11 AM on a Tuesday), and have a United connection to Newark in 90 minutes. I bought the (single) ticket from United website (I was booking Newark-Singapore round trip). I probably will have one checked-in bag. I am a little worried about making the connection. Any suggestions? Will Mobile Passport help a little?
Old May 2, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by VINAYGAV
I will be arriving at LAX by United flight from Singapore (around 11 AM on a Tuesday), and have a United connection to Newark in 90 minutes. I bought the (single) ticket from United website (I was booking Newark-Singapore round trip). I probably will have one checked-in bag. I am a little worried about making the connection. Any suggestions? Will Mobile Passport help a little?
If it is a UA to UA connection, you should be OK. According to ExpertFlyer, United Airlines minimum connect time from international to domestic at LAX is 70 minutes.

Do use the Mobile Passport app, it will definitely be faster.

You may want to take a look at the following threads:

In the Los Angeles Forum:
In the United Airlines | MileagePlus forum:
Old May 2, 2018, 11:24 am

UA38 SIN-LAX uses the T6/T7 immigration so you will arrive and depart from the same terminal complex. So 90 minutes should be enough.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
If it is a UA to UA connection, you should be OK. According to ExpertFlyer, United Airlines minimum connect time from international to domestic at LAX is 70 minutes.

Do use the Mobile Passport app, it will definitely be faster.
UA38 SIN-LAX uses the T6/T7 immigration so you will arrive and depart from the same terminal complex. So 90 minutes should be enough.
Thank you both.

Assuming I would have to go thru security again after immigration/customs, would I be able to put my duty-free purchases into the checked-in bag? Should I do it as soon as I claim my bags or after I go thru customs?

Or is my assumption incorrect and I won't have to go thru security again?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.