Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Old May 2, 2018, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by VINAYGAV
Thank you both.

Assuming I would have to go thru security again after immigration/customs, would I be able to put my duty-free purchases into the checked-in bag? Should I do it as soon as I claim my bags or after I go thru customs?

Or is my assumption incorrect and I won't have to go thru security again?
My pleasure.

All international passengers arriving in the US must pass through TSA security before boarding a connecting flight.

You will have to wait for your checked bag to go through customs and then take it to the transfer/recheck desk to drop it off for you next flight. That will give you an opportunity to place your duty free items in your checked bag.

In the alternative, have the seller place the duty free liquids in secure, tamper-evident bags (STEBs).
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:04 am

Aussie with a us visa: any tips on the immigration q at Tom Bradley??

My first two trips using my visa were a contrast - one through a no-queue immigration line, the other piled onto that long slow snaking line that takes an hour. Anyone got tips on which queue is which at Tom Bradley (LAX)?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Best Western Rewards, BA Executive Club
Talking LAX T4 CBP immigration?

I'm arriving into LAX later this month on AA109 from LHR, last time I did this flight was twice about 2 years ago, I've also done the later AA135 flight twice and on all those occasions I've arrived into TBIT and cleared CBP and collected my luggage there. However when checking AA109 on the last few days it said it was arriving into Gate 41 or 43 and baggage claim was T4CA.. does this mean I clear CBP at T4? or do I have to clear CBP at TBIT and then collect my luggage over at T4?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bangan
I'm arriving into LAX later this month on AA109 from LHR, last time I did this flight was twice about 2 years ago, I've also done the later AA135 flight twice and on all those occasions I've arrived into TBIT and cleared CBP and collected my luggage there. However when checking AA109 on the last few days it said it was arriving into Gate 41 or 43 and baggage claim was T4CA.. does this mean I clear CBP at T4? or do I have to clear CBP at TBIT and then collect my luggage over at T4?
Hello [MENTION=826308]bangan[/MENTION],

There is a Federal Inspection Facility (FIS) in T4, however, it is not always open. There is extensive discussion of it in the American Airlines forum. Here are some of the relevant posts (sorry, the search function is acting up today and it took me a while to locate these):
Originally Posted by bzcat
I'm just throwing caution to the wind here... not all int'l arrival to T4 has direct access to T4/TBIT FIS. Only Gate 41 and 43 have direct access.

<snip>

1. T4 gate 41 or 43 arrival - sterile walkway to T4 FIS (or TBIT FIS if arrived at late night or early morning).
1a. If no checked bags, you can exit FIS directly to the T4/TBIT connector and re-clear TSA.
1b. If you have checked bags, you have to proceed to TBIT custom. Before leaving the secured area, there is a luggage re-check station to drop off bags if it is tagged to the final destinaiton. Exit TBIT to landside and turn right to clear TSA to T4 connector, or walk to another terminal.

<snip>
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Am a US citizen. Last week I arrived from LHR to Gate 43. In the sterile walkways I was directed down an escalator (I think it was an escalator) and then we were presented with a "fork" or sorts. US and Canadian citizens and Global Entry people could turn right and use the Global Entry and APC (Automated Passport Control) kiosks still in the T4 building while just about everyone else was directed to turn left and presumably had a long walk to TBIT to the large CBP arrivals area.

When you stay in T4, while there seems to be an adequate amount of Global Entry and APC kiosks, after you're issued the receipt from the kiosk, you need to have a sort-of final approval by a CBP agent to proceed, either to the street or to the baggage claim (which I also presume is in TBIT but I'm not sure) depending on if you checked bags.

Problem is, there is only one CBP agent for the APC line and one for the Global Entry line and the CBP agent spends at least a couple of minutes with each person to ask some questions. The Global Entry line seems to move a little quicker, but only a little. I'm not Global Entry, so while I quickly got my APC receipt, I had to wait 15 minutes for the "final" interview. I was in MCE so I was relatively early to arrive in the hall. I can't imagine how long the line took for those way in the back in Y.

It was a small room and there were no other empty desks for CBP agents. It looked like it was set up for just the 2-agent total arrangement.

After the final interview and you didn't check bags, you're directed through a door which is in fact the T4 building exit onto the World Way sidewalk located on the far northwest corner of the building on the arrivals level. No "meet and greet" area to speak of.

<snip>
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: aadvantage
does Immigration at Terminal 4 exist?

Hi,

I am flying with American from Auckland at the beginning of November into Terminal 4 at LAX , I have seen some talk online that you actually clear immigration/customs in TBIT and not terminal 4? is this correct? I did the same route a in Sept 2016 and don't remember going through TBIT but I may have been there without knowing!

I have applied for the Global entry so if I get approved I wish to do the enrollment on arrival but depending on which terminal i clear immigration will depend if I do it when I land into LA from Auckland or if I do it when I arrive back through LA from London as the times of day is different.

Thanks in advance

Kara
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Hi Kara,

you are correct.

When you arrive from auckland on AA, you wont clear immigration at T4. Rather youll take a 10 min long walk that takes you all the way from your arrival gate in T4 to the TBIT immigration lines through the connector and from there you can use a global entry kiosk to get out quickly. With AA its convenient that they are connected to TBIT with a short walk. Hope this helps! Cheers!
Counterpointing likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: aadvantage
Thank you so much flyingrohit for your reply. I do remember a bit of walk last time but did not realize at the time I was entering a different terminal! That is good to know as I see the enrollment on arrival for the global entry starts from 6am at TBIT and not until 10am at T4 and my flight gets in about 6.30am. Thanks Kara
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...and Mucci.
Been quite a while since I connected at LAX, certainly not since the new TBIT connector was put in place. With an upcoming international>domestic connection on AA, have read the various threads but am still a little unclear.

AA internstional flight is currently slated to arrive in T4, gate 41, and the onward domestic from T4 gate 45. Obviously I have to clear immigration, customs and security en-route between gates, but not clear exactly where all that will happen. Will I have to go to TBIT to clear immigration and customs, or can that be done in T4? And where would security happen?

I will be travelling with carry-on only, and have Global Entry. Looking to understand what would be the quickest routing through immigration, customs and security for the onward flight, it’s a relatively tight connection at 1h40.

Thanks for any guidance.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I believe from 41 you have to go to TBIT. But it's irrelevant since you either go through T4 or TBIT and you don't get to choose. If you get to TBIT, just walk back over to T4 to use the precheck line.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I believe from 41 you have to go to TBIT.
Not necessarily. There is an immigration and customs facility in T4, it is located in the northwest corner of the arrival area. However, its hours are limited. If you arrive when the T4 Federal Inspections Services facility is closed, you will directed to continue in the tunnel to the TBIT FIS.

Oaxaca likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...and Mucci.
Originally Posted by TWA884
Not necessarily. There is an immigration and customs facility in T4, it is located in the northwest corner of the arrival area. However, its hours are limited. If you arrive when the T4 Federal Inspections Services facility is closed, you will directed to continue in the tunnel to the TBIT FIS.

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1000184971569528832
Thanks, my flight is scheduled to arrive in that time window, sounds promising. After T4 immigration, is there a different route to customs and/or security if you do or don’t have checked bags, or is it all the same?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca

Thanks, my flight is scheduled to arrive in that time window, sounds promising. After T4 immigration, is there a different route to customs and/or security if you do or don’t have checked bags, or is it all the same?
You'll exit the FIS facility on the arrival level of T4. Just take the escalators or elevators up to the departure level and proceed to the TSA security checkpoint. The entrance to the PreCheck lanes is on the east end of terminal.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TWA884
The entrance to the PreCheck lanes is on the east end of terminal.
That is "toward T5" (right, if you go outside) or "away from TBIT" (not left, if you go outside) for those with no sense of direction or totally discombobulated after 10+ hours on a plane. It is also "back from the direction you probably landed."
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Will be travelling with 2 US citizens to TBIT so can use the US citizen immigration lines. What are these lines like on a Saturday evening?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
US Citizens and permanent residents are directed to use self-service kiosks at TBIT so they generally breeze right thru in about 20 minutes. Not sure how that works if you are not US passport holder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.