Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Old Jun 6, 16, 4:37 pm

New passport ESTA traveller, took me more than 2 hours to get through immigration.

My arrival was 1pm at Tom Bradley.

My friend arrived 4pm same terminal and took 20 mins only.
Old Jun 15, 16, 8:10 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
I will be on AA 170 NRT to LAX (June 26). Based on the history on FlightAware, it may arrive at T4. Can someone please confirm if we will take buses to TBIT?
Old Jun 16, 16, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by naswi View Post
I will be on AA 170 NRT to LAX (June 26). Based on the history on FlightAware, it may arrive at T4. Can someone please confirm if we will take buses to TBIT?
The two wide body capable gates on the west side of T4 (41, 43) have direct tunnel access to TBIT FIS so you will walk (actually a shorter walk than from the far end of TBIT).

The wide body gates at the end of T4 pier (46-49) have no access to TBIT FIS so you will be bused to TBIT. I believe AA is in the process of converting some (all?) of these gates to narrow body use.

The narrow body gates at the east side of T4 (40, 42) have no access to TBIT FIS so lots of Mexico and Central America arrivals are bused to TBIT as well.

Edit: Flightaware shows AA170 has been arriving at either 41, 43, or TBIT for the last 2 weeks.
Old Jun 16, 16, 11:28 am

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
The two wide body capable gates on the west side of T4 (41, 43) have direct tunnel access to TBIT FIS so you will walk (actually a shorter walk than from the far end of TBIT).

The wide body gates at the end of T4 pier (46-49) have no access to TBIT FIS so you will be bused to TBIT. I believe AA is in the process of converting some (all?) of these gates to narrow body use.

The narrow body gates at the east side of T4 (40, 42) have no access to TBIT FIS so lots of Mexico and Central America arrivals are bused to TBIT as well.

Edit: Flightaware shows AA170 has been arriving at either 41, 43, or TBIT for the last 2 weeks.
THANK YOU so much for the information. Based on flightaware it will be either 41 or 43 so glad to know that there is a tunnel vs bus transfer.
Old Jun 26, 16, 9:00 pm

Just returned from my Hong Kong MR, we arrived at 41. As BZCAT mentioned, the tunnel is open. It was about 10 mins walk. For me, it was fun to see this part of LAX.

FYI, the restrooms aren't available until you are the Inspection Area.
Old Jul 24, 16, 6:32 pm

Hello I am arriving business class around 7ish PM on a Friday later this summer. I don't have GE. How busy is customs is at this time? I am a US Citizen. Would using the kiosks or going straight into line be the quickest way through out of customs?
Old Jul 25, 16, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ASUDan130 View Post
Hello I am arriving business class around 7ish PM on a Friday later this summer. I don't have GE. How busy is customs is at this time? I am a US Citizen. Would using the kiosks or going straight into line be the quickest way through out of customs?
This is a good question and was wondering this as well?
Old Jul 25, 16, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ASUDan130 View Post
First, which terminal are you arriving? T2, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, or T7? You didn't specify so we can't really answer the first part of your question.

Second, I think you are asking a question about immigration, not customs. Once you clear immigration (either by kiosks or regular lines), you wait for your luggage by the apron and then exit customs like everyone else. There is no special lines for business class or otherwise.

Edit: I read in the other thread that you will arrive at TBIT...

Since you are arriving at TBIT, the immigration lines for foreign passport holders will be long. But US passport holders go to the kiosks and I've never spent more than 10 minutes in line since the kiosks were installed at TBIT. Once you clear immigration, the fun begins... You have to wait for your luggage to come out of the apron and LAX is notoriously slow for luggage. And there is no guarantee that they will unload the premium cabin bags first. It could take 10 minutes or it could take 90 minutes for your bags to come out. After you retrieve your bags, there are 3 separate exits for customs (or maybe 4 I don't remember exactly) and there are no special lines. Just pick the shortest.

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 25, 16 at 7:28 pm
Old Jul 26, 16, 1:13 pm

First, which terminal are you arriving? T2, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, or T7? You didn't specify so we can't really answer the first part of your question.

Second, I think you are asking a question about immigration, not customs. Once you clear immigration (either by kiosks or regular lines), you wait for your luggage by the apron and then exit customs like everyone else. There is no special lines for business class or otherwise.

Edit: I read in the other thread that you will arrive at TBIT...

Since you are arriving at TBIT, the immigration lines for foreign passport holders will be long. But US passport holders go to the kiosks and I've never spent more than 10 minutes in line since the kiosks were installed at TBIT. Once you clear immigration, the fun begins... You have to wait for your luggage to come out of the apron and LAX is notoriously slow for luggage. And there is no guarantee that they will unload the premium cabin bags first. It could take 10 minutes or it could take 90 minutes for your bags to come out. After you retrieve your bags, there are 3 separate exits for customs (or maybe 4 I don't remember exactly) and there are no special lines. Just pick the shortest.
Sorry yes I am arriving TBIT. Thanks for the summary so it sounds like as a US citizen you recommend using the kiosks over just going into the line? Nothing anyone really can do about the luggage situation I guess.
Old Aug 10, 16, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
From my Facebook feed:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
U.S. Customs & Border Protection introduced a new color coded way finding system to assist passengers as they head in to the primary inspection hall in the new Tom Bradley International Terminal. RED = U.S. or Canadian citizens. GREEN = B1 or B2, ESTA, LPR. ORANGE = Express Connection. WHITE = Global Entry. BLUE = Crew, APEC, Diplomats and special assistance. Grey = Non U.S Citizens.

Old Oct 16, 16, 10:38 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

And a close up from the US CBP Automated Passport Control thread in the Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum:

Originally Posted by Crazydre View Post
LAX Tom Bradley has become the second terminal (after Toronto's preclearance) where Border Crossing Cards can be used at APC, in addition to B1/B2 visas. Judging by the signage, it would appear first-time ESTA:s are also eligible (similar to Miami)
Old Oct 16, 16, 12:24 pm

My mum is flying on in AA135 from LHR, due to arrive at TBIT around 5.20pm later this week. She will have a phone, but we can't count on it working, so I'd like to plan a meeting place.

Can anyone suggest somewhere that is easy to find, inside, after customs, and ideally without involving stairs/elevators, that she or I could wait at?

The official map is useless, as it only shows the departure level

Is Cantina Laredo OK for this? If so, can anyone tell me exactly where it is?

Failing that, if I ask her to meet me at the Coffee Bean in Arrivals, is there any chance she gets lost and ends up at the Coffee Bean in Departures?!
Old Oct 16, 16, 12:38 pm

Sorry, another question! I am picking more people up later in the week, again, without phones! My dad is arriving on Thomas Cook TCX824, supposedly at Terminal 2. His flight is scheduled to land at 2.45pm.

Assuming his flight is on time, will he clear immigration/customs at T2? If he's late, do they regularly move flights at that terminal to, e.g. TBIT for immigration and customs/baggage claim?

If he does arrive at T2, can someone please confirm that the Starbucks on the arrival level in that terminal is a good spot to meet?

Last edited by williamsmj; Oct 16, 16 at 12:43 pm
Old Oct 16, 16, 3:21 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by williamsmj View Post
Is Cantina Laredo OK for this? If so, can anyone tell me exactly where it is?
Cantina Laredo is located at the south end of the TBIT arrival level (toward T4 - American Airlines). It has both bar and table seating.

Originally Posted by williamsmj View Post
Assuming his flight is on time, will he clear immigration/customs at T2? If he's late, do they regularly move flights at that terminal to, e.g. TBIT for immigration and customs/baggage claim?
T2 has its own Federal Inspection Services facility. I do not know its opening hours; however, several international carriers operate out of that terminal, so I doubt that many passengers are bused over to TBIT for immigration and customs processing.
Old Nov 17, 16, 5:34 am

Programs: AA CK
How bad is customs on Saturday afternoon? Last time I've had 90+ minute waiting time at customs - while APC was a breeze.

Search this Thread