The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Or...for a more esoteric experience you may want to head over to Venice Beach (as posted by bmxbboy) and Santa Monica pier. Lots to see...some normal(?)...some bizzare...might remind you of King's Cross area if you are familiar with that part of Sydney.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:06 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Warp your mind with a (sur)real Los Angeles experience, visit the...

The Museum of Jurassic Technology
9341 Venice Boulevard
Culver City, California 90232
http://www.mjt.org/

It's a short (8 mile) cab ride or you can take public transit there...
(check http://www.mta.net/default.asp for which buses will get you there)

...and it's in the Palms neighborhood, with all sorts of fun & funky little cafes within walking distance...
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:57 am

You can make a quick appointment with a plastic surgeon or dermatologist and get some Botox injections.

Seriously, I would just relax in the lounge. Other than taking a walk along the beach (not very appealing to someone who lives in a city with better beaches) there's not much to do if you factor in ground travel time (and angst) from LAX.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by schwarm
Seriously, I would just relax in the lounge. Other than taking a walk along the beach (not very appealing to someone who lives in a city with better beaches) there's not much to do if you factor in ground travel time (and angst) from LAX.
. . . and, most importantly, if you are unwilling to rent a car.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:34 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
. . . and, most importantly, if you are unwilling to rent a car.
So take the C Parking Lot shuttle over to the Transit Center and take the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus Route 3 or Rapid 3 to downtown Santa Monica

http://www.bigbluebus.com/busroutes/index.asp

and see all the bums and transients.

http://lavoice.org/article115.html

But don't smoke or you'll get a ticket!

http://www.smgov.net/news/releases/a...ao20061011.htm
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:56 pm
In memoriam

Santa Monica Third Street shopping area is a good bet. And there is a really good sushi place across from REI on 4th Street. Don't recall the name, but the lunch specials for $10-15 are a deal. Nice park and view of the ocean if you walk West a couple of blocks.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
How about something more LA like, such as the La Brea tar pits? Closer then the Getty. Just a thought....
Old Feb 8, 2007, 5:52 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
2 hours to kill at LAX airport

I arrive at 9:30 at TBIT (international) and am meeting a friend who flies into T5 (domestic) at 12:00. Any handy hints on where to hang out in the airport while I wait (I'm not looking to do an In-n-Out run)? I don't suppose there's any way that I can take a closer look at the Theme Building?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
This should hit the spot...
http://www.encounterlax.com/
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:14 pm

Bring a book. After the theme building, there isn't anything to do.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:19 pm

As mentioned, transport is a big issue. Either getting to and taking busses, or the hassle and time of rental car pick up and drop off. I'd stay at the lounge I think. Otherwise, if $ no matter, take a cab and do as suggested -- Venice or I'd suggest Santa Monica and the 3rd street promenade. Not sure, but perhaps $40 or so each way for the cab.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Moderator's Note:

There were 8 threads in the last year on this topic. I have merged them into this consolidated one which should prove helpful in the future

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:11 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
can I get out of there?

I am arriving to LAX (int'l arrival) 11:30pm Wednesday and departing domestically 6:30am Thursday.
Let's add 1 hour for Immigration and 1,5 hours for check-in, it really leaves only 3,5 hours available in a middle of the night.
Questions:
1) Does it worth to book a hotel (money is not a concern) - my only concern that 2-3 hours in bed in the middle of the night will do no good other than disrupt sleep pattern.
2) I'd rather kill some time at the place which can provide 24 hr access to showers and access to food - is there anything like that walking distance or at the airport?

AX
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by AX9465
I am arriving to LAX (int'l arrival) 11:30pm Wednesday and departing domestically 6:30am Thursday.
Let's add 1 hour for Immigration and 1,5 hours for check-in, it really leaves only 3,5 hours available in a middle of the night.
Questions:
1) Does it worth to book a hotel (money is not a concern) - my only concern that 2-3 hours in bed in the middle of the night will do no good other than disrupt sleep pattern.
2) I'd rather kill some time at the place which can provide 24 hr access to showers and access to food - is there anything like that walking distance or at the airport?

AX
Small bit of info needed... what airline are you departing on?

IMO, I wouldn't book a hotel, you won't get any use out of it (especially considering the 30 minutes each way it will take to wait/ride the shuttle, and check in.

Unfortunately, LAX is pretty desolate at night. If you get out in time, you can do an In-n-Out run, since they're open until 1am.

According to Google, there's a 24 Hour Fitness next to LAX on Century Blvd... you probably could get a shower there (and workout)... I don't know if they sell a day pass... or you could pretend to be interested
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Small bit of info needed... what airline are you departing on?
IceTrojan: thanks for the info. I am arriving on LR and departing on US.
AX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.