Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Old Jul 18, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by corky

I love Playa Provisions but there really isn't anything else around there. I have not been to the beach in Playa del Rey but is there anything else around other than just sitting on the sand?
There isn't anything around there which is the point... I said for pure beach time (walking, sitting, watching sunset, not shopping or people watch), PDR is better. Less crowded than Santa Monica, Venice, or Manhattan. If you want to watch people and be part of the scene, Venice Beach is obviously the place to go. If you want more dining and shopping options near the beach, Manhattan Beach can't be beat.

PDR also extends to Dockweiler State Park which as I mentioned has great views of planes taking off overhead. So if you are into that kind of thing, this is the beach to visit.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
So it sounds like for outdoors people and walkers, Playa del Rey (PDR) is the place to go.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Is it walkable to the Whole Foods "near" LAX?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
So it sounds like for outdoors people and walkers, Playa del Rey (PDR) is the place to go.
If you are only there for the walking around and a few places to eat at. There's still getting to and from PDR and LAX.

If you want to people watch and beach areas, either Venice or Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica. If you want to tourist, Hollywood and Vine.

There's a lot of ground to cover in all of these as well as getting back to LAX in a timely fashion.

David
corky likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare (Post # 918)
The big, unanswered question.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
How much time do you have and how fast do you walk?
Old Jul 22, 2023, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
How much time do you have and how fast do you walk?
5-6 hours. 2 miles per hour?
Old Jul 22, 2023, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5-6 hours. 2 miles per hour?
Sure. There are two, but the closer one to the south on Sepulveda is a further walk because pedestrians aren't allowed in the tunnel. I've never been to the one to the north, but it looks like it's about a 4 mile walk.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by chrisl137
but the closer one to the south on Sepulveda is a further walk because pedestrians aren't allowed in the tunnel.
Could take a shuttle to nearby hotel and walk remaining distance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Could take a shuttle to nearby hotel and walk remaining distance.
That's a great idea! Which one will get me to the closest?
Old Jul 22, 2023, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I wouldn't. I think it might be boring. And unless you travel with a beach chair and towel, you are just going to be sitting on sand with the ocean on one side and not much on the other. MB, HB and Venice are far, far more interesting. Like I stated up thread....there are volleyball games going on to watch, interesting & beautiful homes to look at when walking along the walk path--you can walk across the beach to dip your toes in the water. At least in MB there are benches if you want to stop a take a break from the walk (Hermosa doesn't have benches along the walk path but you can sit on the little wall)---the walk path runs the entire coast & parts are split into a bike path. Both MB & HB have piers to walk out and get a different perspective and view. If you choose to go a block over from the walk path, there are restaurants and bars and shops---many with outdoor dining. Hermosa and Manhattan are charming little beach towns and everything can be easily walked. Of course you have to get there but the same applies to PDR as far as getting there.
SPN Lifer, DELee and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a great idea! Which one will get me to the closest?
Maybe try this one. It will still be a bit of a hike to the WF but it sounds like you are ok with that. BTW, the WF is in a big shopping center that is called Plaza El Segundo (I think).
https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...7-a979c79310b0
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe try this one. It will still be a bit of a hike to the WF but it sounds like you are ok with that. BTW, the WF is in a big shopping center that is called Plaza El Segundo (I think).
Yeah, that's what it's called. I used to sometimes go there when I was working in north RB. And if you're just looking to get some food, there are a bunch of fast casual places along Sepulveda before you get there.

The one to the north looks like it's close to the Hilton Culver City/Four Points Sheraton Westside/Courtyard Westside. No idea about shuttles to them.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it any good? Have you been there before?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it any good? Have you been there before?
You can check out whatís there on google maps. Itís not a place to really spend the day. Whole Foods, a big pet supply, a home decorating/furniture store, Starbucks, a few restaurants. I used to sometimes kill time there to let traffic die down before driving home. Basically pick up some stuff at the WF and pet store, drink some coffee, then head home.
corky and lsquare like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.