Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Well, all of the three star hotels around the immediate LAX area are nice enough and can be had for decent rates by bidding on Priceline. The area is largely industrial with busy streets and void of any charm. You would have to go to a place in Manhattan Beach or Marina Del Rey for something that had a view of something other than runways and buildings that was still reasonably close to LAX.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Well, all of the three star hotels around the immediate LAX area are nice enough and can be had for decent rates by bidding on Priceline. The area is largely industrial with busy streets and void of any charm. You would have to go to a place in Manhattan Beach or Marina Del Rey for something that had a view of something other than runways and buildings that was still reasonably close to LAX.
Thanks FlyinHwaiin - that's useful
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:44 pm

Now that the Encounter restaurant has reopened, I was thinking of giving it a try next week. The menu is posted online, sans prices. It sounds good...has anyone tried it yet? And what is the price range for lunch? Is it worth leaving the terminal and going through security again?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
32 hours in LA..what to do..

I just flew in from Singapore this morning and am spending a day and night in
LA before continuing on to PDX where I live..Im staying at the Sheraton airport and do have a rental car. Anyone have some suggestions of things to
in a day in LA?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
Turtle Races - Near you (Marina Del Rey)

Brennan's Pub
4089 Lincoln Blvd
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Turtle Races start at 9PM tonight. A truly unique experience. Remember not to point, you will get fined $10 for unfairly influencing the turtles. Last time I was there they had a great live band doing 80's covers and a pretty fun crowd.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: US Gold, HH gold
LAX- what to do for 7 hours

I land in LAX at 9am and leave again LAX-LHR at 4:30pm. Any suggestions for how to kill the time in between? I'd prefer not sit in a lounge or do much of anything in the airport given I'll be on such a long flight after.

Anything close by worth checking out that I can get to by taxi or bus?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
If you appreciate Good Beer, take the shuttle to the Four Points LAX -- they have an amazing selection for a hotel bar.

From the LAX transit center you can take a #3 Santa Monica bus up to the Santa Monica Pier. Lots to see there. The ride cost 75 cents and will take you 45 minutes or so (each way)
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Let's see...

If you haven't just returned from the cheap electronics goods bazaars of Asia, you might idulge your techno-lust at Fry's Electronics down in Manhatten Beach. Just a quick (free) ride on the Lot C shuttle to the bus transit center and then catch Metro Bus 232 (LONG BEACH TRANSIT MALL) heading west ($1.25) to SEPULVEDA BL/ROSECRANS AVE.

Oh, and it's in a larger shopping mall so if you need to get a spouse-atonement gift you can hit Goldiva Chocolate, Victoria's Secret, Macy's, or Williams-Sanoma as appropriate.

PS: L.A.'s transit public options can be found at www.metro.net
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:56 am
JTG

Programs: UA/AA/SW/MR Gold/Hyatt/HH
Fry's? During the holiday season? Are you insane?!
Old Dec 19, 2007, 2:35 am

Programs: US Gold, HH gold
I'm going to be there on New Year's day and would like to go out to one of the beach areas. Will there be any shops or restaraunts open near the beach's on Jan 1?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:29 am

Long Layover in LAX with Kids

I have 4 hours between flights with my 5 and 6 year-old boys in LAX. Can anyone familiar with LAX offer any suggestions of someplace to go to occupy the kids? Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:45 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
BJC1202, welcome to FlyerTalk. We have an active L.A. forum so let me seamlessly move your Q. there for some focused help. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BJC1202
I have 4 hours between flights with my 5 and 6 year-old boys in LAX. Can anyone familiar with LAX offer any suggestions of someplace to go to occupy the kids? Thanks.
There aren't too many places to go without a car. Do you plan on renting a vehicle?
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by BJC1202
In-N-Out run!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:39 am

Arrive LAX 10PM depart 6AM; where to stay?

I really do not want to spend a night in LAX itself (ewwww, the thought makes me want to take a shower), but I am not really upto spending $$ for a hotel for that short amount of time. In reality I can only get about 5 hours of solid sleep and less assuming I hit In N' Out up. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.