Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Old Apr 14, 2024, 12:01 pm
  #991  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,985
Originally Posted by TWA884
From an article in the Los Angeles Times lat week:
They can just make Hollywood & Vine a stop on the LAX people mover.
chrisl137 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2024, 10:36 am
  #992  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LAX/SMF/PDX/HNL
Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Posts: 1,774
A few more comments on the Manhattan Beach vs Hermosa Beach decision:

Walking on the Strand in MB is a better experience than in HB.
In MB, the bicycle trail is separate from the pedestrian Strand, so the experience will be more relaxed, not having to watch out for bikes and (the evil) electric bikes.
Also, the Strand in MB is elevated above beach level, so the views of the ocean waves is superior, especially at low tide.

All restaurants or retail in MB requires at least a block-long uphill hike.
For anyone with mobility issues, HB is the better choice.
Even the multi-story parking structure in HB is on grade level of the Strand and Pier Plaza.

Pro tip: the large house on the north end of the Strand in Hermosa Beach, adjacent to the stairs to MB, was the beach house filmed in "Beverly Hills 90210."
The HB pier and famous Lighthouse restaurant both appear in La La Land.
dlaue is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:46 pm
  #993  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by chrisl137
It's actually kind of a nice loop, in the middle of the night.

It's not that different than my drive home from Economy parking when there's construction south of Century.

Head up La Cienega to Fairfax and the Peterson Museum. Continue up Fairfax, stop at Canter's and be disappointed that the bakery isn't as good as pre-pandemic (and closes at midnight). Continue up Fairfax to Hollywood and take Hollywood all the way to Western, with a stop near the chinese theater to be completely underwhelmed and be reminded of Niagara Falls, Ontario (not the one on the 10). Take Western to Los Feliz, then up to Griffith Park, check out the observatory, which does actually have some cool stuff. Enjoy the view, which really is spectacular on a clear day. Leaving the observatory, head down toward the east and take the 5 to the 2 and get off on Glendale and take Alvarado to Hoover to avoid DTLA on the way back south. I'd probably take the 110 back the 105 to get to Manhattan Beach, because no good ever comes from getting on the 405, only tears. I've always been blessed to find street parking in MB on weekdays (usually just for the farmers market on Tuesdays), or parked in the library/city hall lot. Hang at the beach, send pictures to people in places where it's still cold and snowing. Then head back to LAX.

I don't think I'd want to try it on a Thursday before 10pm, ever. And it's kind of a lot of driving if you get stuck in drive time traffic, with a lot of it best done on surface streets because the destinations are mostly far enough from freeways that you're going to spend a lot of time on surface streets anyway.

The northbound section up to GP is only about 30 minutes of driving after 11 pm, but could easily be a couple hours in the car during the day. The southbound part from GP to MB is probably anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes during the day, depending on what's going on on the roads. And that assumes you don't get lost or stuck behind an accident. Add to that the time getting a car and returning it and you could easily be cutting things close.

The first thing I would drop is Hollywood Blvd. I (and I think everybody else does, too) tell people not to bother, they do anyway and then report that it was kind of dumpy. I'm not that into cars, so I'd skip the Peterson museum, too, but if if you hit that first, then take Beverly to Western it's probably the lightest traffic route you'll get, and keep an eye on the time. Figure Manhattan Beach will take 2.5 hours, plus the time to get back to LAX and get through the U, which can take another 40 minutes (to go a whole mile!) from just outside the U and be prepared to skip it entirely. If you take an Uber or Lyft it eliminates the car dropoff step. If you're flying out of a terminal on the south side, the rideshare can take the shortcuts across, but if you're on a shuttle you're stuck going through the whole U.

(ETA: and I'll second the Tar Pits. The Tar Pits/Page Museum/Hancock Park are one of the coolest things in LA and tend not to be crowded. The museum is small and you can see most of it in an hour without feeling rushed. The park is well laid out and pleasant, with big mastodons in the pond and oil spots bubbling up where you don't expect.)

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the detail on this.

Did some uber fare estimates and just getting from LAX to Petersen and then Griffith would cost more than the car rental itself - so the whole day would be far too costly.

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.
mustkill is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:44 pm
  #994  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 31,270
Originally Posted by mustkill
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the detail on this.

Did some uber fare estimates and just getting from LAX to Petersen and then Griffith would cost more than the car rental itself - so the whole day would be far too costly.

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.
What about skipping Griffith park? Are you still planning to go to the beach...either MB or SM pier?
It was a pretty ambitious itinerary & I understand about the cost but I hope you aren't going to sit in the airport.
corky is online now  
Old May 4, 2024, 9:30 pm
  #995  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Posts: 5,446
I am looking at taking a flight from ICN to LAX and then to YYZ. I have a 7 hour layover and what should I do during that time?
Davvidd is offline  
Old May 4, 2024, 11:56 pm
  #996  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LAX/SMF/PDX/HNL
Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Posts: 1,774
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I am looking at taking a flight from ICN to LAX and then to YYZ. I have a 7 hour layover and what should I do during that time?
Aside from the beaches discussed in threads above, the Zimmerman car museum in El Segundo a hidden gem. It's a less than 10 minute taxi ride from the airport. Admission is by suggested donation. Unless things have changed, you can actually enter many of the cars on display. Their website is slow, however. Watch the opening hours.

https://automobiledrivingmuseum.org/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...alifornia.html
corky and Davvidd like this.
dlaue is offline  
Old May 6, 2024, 8:41 am
  #997  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,439
Originally Posted by dlaue
Aside from the beaches discussed in threads above, the Zimmerman car museum in El Segundo a hidden gem. It's a less than 10 minute taxi ride from the airport. Admission is by suggested donation. Unless things have changed, you can actually enter many of the cars on display. Their website is slow, however. Watch the opening hours.

https://automobiledrivingmuseum.org/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...alifornia.html
Good idea... and you can combine it with a combo visit to the Toyota Sports Performance Center for some ice skating A bit unorthodox suggestion but the TSPC rink is where the LA Kings practice so if you are a hockey fan, it is kind of a fun experience to visit the practice rink.

The TSPC ice rink is right down the street from Zimmerman car museum you can walk between the two place. Cap it off with a In-N-Out burger in El Segundo (not the super busy one by the airport).

Check for open ice time here: https://www.toyotasportsperformancec...public-skating

https://www.yelp.com/biz/in-n-out-burger-el-segundo

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+...!3e2?entry=ttu
corky, SPN Lifer and dlaue like this.
bzcat is online now  
Old May 6, 2024, 6:56 pm
  #998  
Formally known as reinmedia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: El Segundo | Honolulu
Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
Posts: 375
Originally Posted by bzcat
Good idea... and you can combine it with a combo visit to the Toyota Sports Performance Center for some ice skating A bit unorthodox suggestion but the TSPC rink is where the LA Kings practice so if you are a hockey fan, it is kind of a fun experience to visit the practice rink.

The TSPC ice rink is right down the street from Zimmerman car museum you can walk between the two place. Cap it off with a In-N-Out burger in El Segundo (not the super busy one by the airport).

Check for open ice time here: https://www.toyotasportsperformancec...public-skating

https://www.yelp.com/biz/in-n-out-burger-el-segundo

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+...!3e2?entry=ttu
And they have a full bar at the TSPC so you can grab a pint while you watch some hockey. Also, the Lakers practice facility is walkable from TSPC so depending on your time of year, you can catch a G League game which is a really cool experience.
obscure2k likes this.
Flyloha is offline  
Old Jun 9, 2024, 4:34 am
  #999  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 760
Arriving at 10am on a Monday in T6 (domestic inbound), departing 10pm from TBIT.

Flying business class and have a number of lounge options but I am keen to make use of the time in LA. I'm thinking about walking to the T7 Polaris Lounge for breakfast, exiting the airport, either taking a bus (I read the right one would be "Big Blue Bus Route 3") or Uber/Lyft to Venice Beach, taking a hop on/off bus through the santa monica loop, then hollywood loop, then doing the reverse to get back to lax by 5, 6, or 7ish. Bags are checked through and have pre-check, so not too worried about timing, but do want to shower and eat at the Star Alliance TBIT or Polaris lounge (even with the trek to/from TBIT) so I can sleep well on the 13 hour flight.

I did something similar 7 years ago (based on advice from this thread!) except I took a bus from LAX to Union Station (I think), caught the hop on/off bus and rode the downtown loop, rode the hollywood loop, then took some kind of direct bus back. I figure it's worth seeing the santa monica area this time and spend most of my time walking around there, pass through the hollywood loop (feels obligatory, even if it ain't too pretty), and just forgo downtown (I imagine going to downtown and heading back to LAX from there around 5-7pm would put me in rush hour traffic?). But I'm not married to the idea of the hop on/off bus; if there's enough to see/do around santa monica, maybe I just spend the afternoon on foot there and head back to the airport early instead? Or another tour/excursion suggestion?

As a side note, ordinarily I'd want to travel with a roller carry-on in case my checked bag gets lost, but I understand LAX has no luggage storage (airside nor public area) including not in any of the lounges, and the third-party services would require a detour either before I get out of the LAX bubble or in santa monica before I catch the hop on/off bus, which may be cumbersome given the tight schedule. So I'm thinking of checking through my ordinary carry-on and just carrying a small backpack.

Any thoughts / advice on my plan? TIA!
Nazdoom is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 2:28 pm
  #1000  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 31,270
I think hitting SM is a great idea since you have already seen downtown. Is there a bus that covers SM and maybe also Beverly Hills? In SM you could spend some time walking around the pier and the beach. Beverly Hills is fun for some shopping and maybe lunch.
Nazdoom likes this.
corky is online now  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 10:20 pm
  #1001  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Posts: 15,588
Originally Posted by corky (Post # 1000)
I think hitting SM is a great idea since you have already seen downtown. Is there a bus that covers SM and maybe also Beverly Hills? In SM you could spend some time walking around the pier and the beach. Beverly Hills is fun for some shopping and maybe lunch.
Take the Lot G shuttle bus from the terminals to the Aviation/LAX Station (Metro C Line connecting point). The shuttle is free with valid proof of transit. Aviation/LAX Station is served by numerous other bus lines, including Culver CityBus, Beach Cities Transit to Redondo Beach, and Big Blue Bus (BBB) to Santa Monica (SM), BBB Route 3 or BBB Rapid 3. From SM the BBB Route 5 can take you to within walking distance of Beverly Hills.

https://www.bigbluebus.com/Routes-And-Schedules/
Nazdoom likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jun 10, 2024 at 10:35 pm
SPN Lifer is online now  
Old Jun 11, 2024, 11:11 am
  #1002  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,439
Follow these steps if you want to do the Hop on/off bus.

1. Take the LAX Shuttle C to the City Bus Center. I normally don't recommend taking Shuttle G to Metro Station which is a lot longer ride and you will be going in the wrong direction and backtracking on the bus if you are headed to Santa Monica - it will add about 30 minutes to your trip.

Use this website to track real time arrival stats on the Shuttle C: https://ridelax.com/routes/20/stops

General info on all the LAX Shuttle Bus: https://www.flylax.com/lax-traffic-a...transportation

2. From the City Bus Center, find the Big Blue Bus #3 stop. You want the direction that is headed towards Santa Monica. Ride the bus from LAX City Bus Center to Downtown Santa Monica (4th St and Colorado Ave stop).

3. Walk to Santa Monica Pier via Colorado Ave (5 mins) or cut thru the Santa Monica Place shopping center.

If you want to do the Hop on/off bus, go directly to the stop for Starline Tour near the Pier on Ocean Ave. https://starlinetours.com/en/city-si...-double-decker

The Starline Tour Yellow route will take you to Venice Beach. And later you can take it back to Santa Monica and then Beverly Hills where you can change to Starline Tour Red route which will take you to Hollywood.

Beware that the Hop on/off bus do not travel in the bus lane so they could get stuck in traffic and run off schedule. Don't worry if you miss the last Startour bus of the day. Here is the hack to get back to LAX:

If you are in Hollywood area, find a subway station along Hollywood Blvd. Take the Red line to Union Station and transfer to Fly Away Express Bus to LAX. It's kind of going in the wrong direction but the subway ride is fast and the arrival time is predictable.

If you are in Mid City/Beverly Hills area, find Wilshire Blvd... it is probably a short walk from wherever you are. From any major cross streets, find the Rapid bus stop and get on the Santa Monica bound Metro 720 bus. This bus will take you back to Downtown Santa Monica where you can catch the Big Blue Bus #3 back to LAX. 720 and BBB3 are both frequent buses so you won't need to wait very long for the next one even on weekends.

https://cdn.beta.metro.net/wp-conten...12-10-23-1.pdf

https://www.bigbluebus.com/Routes-an...s/Route-3.aspx



bzcat is online now  
Old Jun 12, 2024, 10:38 am
  #1003  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Philadelphia, LAX, Paris
Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Posts: 3,414
Originally Posted by bzcat
Follow these steps if you want to do the Hop on/off bus.

1. Take the LAX Shuttle C to the City Bus Center. I normally don't recommend taking Shuttle G to Metro Station which is a lot longer ride and you will be going in the wrong direction and backtracking on the bus if you are headed to Santa Monica - it will add about 30 minutes to your trip.

Use this website to track real time arrival stats on the Shuttle C: https://ridelax.com/routes/20/stops

General info on all the LAX Shuttle Bus: https://www.flylax.com/lax-traffic-a...transportation

2. From the City Bus Center, find the Big Blue Bus #3 stop. You want the direction that is headed towards Santa Monica. Ride the bus from LAX City Bus Center to Downtown Santa Monica (4th St and Colorado Ave stop).

3. Walk to Santa Monica Pier via Colorado Ave (5 mins) or cut thru the Santa Monica Place shopping center.

If you want to do the Hop on/off bus, go directly to the stop for Starline Tour near the Pier on Ocean Ave. https://starlinetours.com/en/city-si...-double-decker

The Starline Tour Yellow route will take you to Venice Beach. And later you can take it back to Santa Monica and then Beverly Hills where you can change to Starline Tour Red route which will take you to Hollywood.

Beware that the Hop on/off bus do not travel in the bus lane so they could get stuck in traffic and run off schedule. Don't worry if you miss the last Startour bus of the day. Here is the hack to get back to LAX:

If you are in Hollywood area, find a subway station along Hollywood Blvd. Take the Red line to Union Station and transfer to Fly Away Express Bus to LAX. It's kind of going in the wrong direction but the subway ride is fast and the arrival time is predictable.

If you are in Mid City/Beverly Hills area, find Wilshire Blvd... it is probably a short walk from wherever you are. From any major cross streets, find the Rapid bus stop and get on the Santa Monica bound Metro 720 bus. This bus will take you back to Downtown Santa Monica where you can catch the Big Blue Bus #3 back to LAX. 720 and BBB3 are both frequent buses so you won't need to wait very long for the next one even on weekends.

https://cdn.beta.metro.net/wp-conten...12-10-23-1.pdf

https://www.bigbluebus.com/Routes-an...s/Route-3.aspx
VERY impressive recommendations!

As a LA resident, I am completely unaware of all these possibilities, and they are right in my neighborhood too. I guess I am so used to driving (and getting stuck in traffic) everywhere in LA Will keep this useful information for future use by visiting friends and relatives who donít want to deal with the nightmarish LA traffic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
sapguy is offline  
Old Jun 12, 2024, 12:42 pm
  #1004  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Posts: 1,312
@Nazdoom you could also rent a bike in Santa Monica then ride along the beach (north or south) or in SM, or all. The bike infrastructure is very good (objectively, not by LA standards ) all around SM, the beach bike path from Will Rogers Beach to Torrance, and the Expo bike path from SM to around Culver City. You can make your own outing and with a shower before your flight it works perfectly. Just bring a hat and plenty of sunscreen.

I believe it used to be possible to rent a bike one-way from Perry's Cafe in SM to Perry's in Torrance, a nice way to traverse the beach, but it looks like they recently closed their locations south of Venice.
corky, SPN Lifer, TWA884 and 1 others like this.
lrdpenn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.