Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (SILV), BA GOLD
Thank you very much, I appreciate very much your help.
Like many parents we love to see our children travelling, but....California is very far from France!
Thanks to all
JC
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
T1 to T4 @ LAX - walk?

I'll be taking a US Air flight from LAS to LAX this evening and connecting to an AA LAX-DFW redeye. According to the map, it looks like I'll becoming into terminal 1, and I'll need to transfer to terminal 4.

The last time I transfered between terminals at LAX, the shuttle bus ride was downright scary. The driver would simply skip the stop at certain terminals and then scream at any passenger who objected. Since I'll have plenty of time, I'm thinking of simply walking between terminals.

Is this doable? I.e., is there a sidewalk all the way, no major roads to cross, etc.? If so, can it be easily done on both levels?

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:42 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
From the Forum FAQ:

4) How do I transfer between terminals?

Walking:

Generally, if you are no further than 2 terminals away, it will be faster to walk.

It takes about 30 minutes to walk from T1-T7 following the U. You can also cut across the parking lots on the lower level, which will take about 10 minutes (though it was set up to do that, and you will be dealing with busy roadways)

Shuttle Bus: Board on the lower level (though sometimes they'll let you board as they're dropping off passengers on the upper departures level).
The LAX A Shuttle ("Airline Connections" - board at the BLUE signs) makes the loop to all terminals, going T1 to T7, then back to T1.

For those transferring to a downline terminal, you can also take any of the shuttles (B, C, G... even the Employee Shuttle if you don't have baggage)... just note that after T7, they will depart for their respective destinations.
Also, you can try and board any of the rental car shuttles, as they follow the same route as the LAX Shuttles, leaving the terminal area after T7.
T1-T4 is a pretty long walk; about 20 min, I'd estimate. Yes, there are sidewalks on both the departure and arrival levels and cutting through the parking lot might shave a little time off, but not much.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
depending on the time

the 20min walk could still be faster than waiting for the shuttle sometimes.

i'd recommend walking along the departure level. fresh air (aside from the occasional smokers) is good. a little exercise wouldn't hurt either.

of course, this is assuming you are in moderately good health. i don't recommend this for people traveling with A LOT of kids or someone in a wheelchair.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:09 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
...Is this doable? I.e., is there a sidewalk all the way, no major roads to cross, etc.? If so, can it be easily done on both levels?
LAX is much more "walkable" than many airports. No worrys. When stuck there and bored I sometimes walk all the way around.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:08 am

PlatinumScum, welcome to Los Angeles.

Enjoy the walk.
10 minutes = Brisk Pace
15 minutes = Moderate Pace
20 minutes = Causal Pace

Walking Directions From Terminal 1 To Terminal 4
(One Continuous Non-Stop Sidewalk For Your Entire Journey!)

Exit Terminal 1 (either level) and turn Right. Follow the continuous non-stop sidewalk toward Terminals 2 & 3. Just beyond Terminal 3 the sidewalk will curve toward the left (at The Horseshoe) and you'll pass in front of The Tom Bradley International Terminal on your Right. Once beyond the Tom Bradley International Terminal the sidewalk will again curve toward the left. Just beyond the curve Terminal 4 will be on your Right.

LAX Terminal Maps
http://www.lawa.org/lax/termaponly.html
http://www.lawa.org/lax/terminalMap.cfm

Last edited by MRLIMO; Jul 23, 2007 at 3:28 pm
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
LAX terminal question

Ok, did a search and didn't find my answer.

I need some help from the LAXperts.
I'm scheduled to fly HNL-LAX-NYC-LAX-HNL in late Sept to attend a family function in NY.

For various reasons (mainly dealing with the need to keep 50-90K miles alive on both AA & DL) I am contemplating an itinerary that looks like this:

Outbound: HA 2 HNL-LAX connecting to DL 410 LAX-JFK.
Layover in LAX is 1:55 (from 9:20PM to 11:15PM).

Return: AA 3 JFK-LAX connecting to HA 9 LAX-HNL.
Layover in LAX is 3:00 (from 2:55PM to 5:55PM).

So my question revolves around the connections in LAX, especially the first one: is ~2 hrs enough time to get from HA (T2) to DL (T5)?
If I've read the FAQs correctly, T2 doesn't connect airside to anyplace I want to go, so I'll have to go out and then back thru security at some point.
Is this enough time at 9:20PM on a Thursday night? Do I walk all the way around, or cut across/thru/under the parking areas? Is taking this route at night advisable?

Similar question for the return.
While I assume 3 hours is plenty of time to walk from T4 (AA) to T2 (HA) at 3 in the afternoon on a Sunday, I want to confirm.

Like I said, I'm considering this to keep miles alive, otherwise I'd pick one airline and avoid the hassle. Appreciate your thoughts on going between terminals.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
Ok, did a search and didn't find my answer.

I need some help from the LAXperts.
I'm scheduled to fly HNL-LAX-NYC-LAX-HNL in late Sept to attend a family function in NY.

For various reasons (mainly dealing with the need to keep 50-90K miles alive on both AA & DL) I am contemplating an itinerary that looks like this:

Outbound: HA 2 HNL-LAX connecting to DL 410 LAX-JFK.
Layover in LAX is 1:55 (from 9:20PM to 11:15PM).

Return: AA 3 JFK-LAX connecting to HA 9 LAX-HNL.
Layover in LAX is 3:00 (from 2:55PM to 5:55PM).

So my question revolves around the connections in LAX, especially the first one: is ~2 hrs enough time to get from HA (T2) to DL (T5)?
If I've read the FAQs correctly, T2 doesn't connect airside to anyplace I want to go, so I'll have to go out and then back thru security at some point.
Is this enough time at 9:20PM on a Thursday night? Do I walk all the way around, or cut across/thru/under the parking areas? Is taking this route at night advisable?

Similar question for the return.
While I assume 3 hours is plenty of time to walk from T4 (AA) to T2 (HA) at 3 in the afternoon on a Sunday, I want to confirm.

Like I said, I'm considering this to keep miles alive, otherwise I'd pick one airline and avoid the hassle. Appreciate your thoughts on going between terminals.

Thanks in advance.
Take the shuttle bus and you should be fine.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't see any reason why you can't manage the connection. You'll be going from T2 to T5. As the previous poster indicated, take the inter-terminal shuttle and there's no problem. You can walk across but it's probably not worth the effort. I find walking across at surface level not that easy to do but when connecting across the top of the parking structures, it's much easier (i.e., T1 - T7)
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)

Thanks in advance.
Have you considered going HNL-JFK on DL and JFK-HNL on AA/HA to avoid the terminal changes?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by ORDSteve
The tunnel between 5 and 6 was open about 2 weeks ago and I assume it still is.
Re-verifying that the 5-6 tunnel was open last week, 4-5 was closed. I really, REALLY wish they'd re-open it to 4. I was doing a UA>AA transfer and almost made it!
Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:36 am

Connection time LAX

Sorry if this has been addressed before, couldn't find a link. I am travelling Oct 1 AC from YVR/LAX arriving at 1200. Departing SQ11 at 1435h. Have I allowed enough time to get from T2 to TBIT and clear security? I will already have cleared US customs YVR.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Shouldn't be a problem. I've made that connection myself.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: AA P, QFPM, EYG, HH D, PC PA
Having cleared customs is big advantage. You should have no trouble.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:34 pm

Enough time for connecting flight at LAX?

Has anybody taken Singapore Airline from Toronto, via LAX to Taipei ?

My flight arrives from YYZ to LAX at 8:45 pm at Terminal 2 and leaves at 11:20 pm to TPE. I believe I have to change terminal, and wondering if the baggage checked will have time to be transferred, and will I have enough time for the transit since I have to check in again the in International terminal.

Will I have enough time for the connection? I am just worried that there is snow delay from Toronto and I will miss my flight to Taipei.

My alternative is to change to the earlier flight which arrives 2:30 pm in the afternoon which is way too early though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.