Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint, a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2016 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 2 June 2016 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
There's a new airside connector from T4 to TBIT. You can take the tunnel from T6 to T4, then go upstairs and follow signs to TBIT.

Should take 10-15 min tops.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Is there a transit desk at TBIT where you can pick up any BPs?
Old May 9, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Yes, you can walk all the way through. Head down into the tunnel around the midpoint of T6 (signs for "Delta Gates 50-59"), walk all the way past T5 and into T4, up to gate level, start heading towards the exit, turn left at the last gate to take the passageway to TBIT (signs for "Gates 130-159").

I'd say 15 minutes. More if you need to go to the further gates in TBIT.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I'm actually curious about this too. I assume you can pick them up at the lounge if you have access.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Two ways to get from T6 to T4:
- Walk via tunnels and passage ways, or
- Take a shuttle bus

I got lucky with the shuttle bus today T4>T6. One was about to depart as I was passing by (since you have to walk by there to get to the tunnel), and with no aircraft traffic, got there in 5 minutes (with some great view of the ramp). So... check to see where the shuttle is before deciding whether to walk.

As stated, T4>TBIT is now connected by a passage way:

AS will bring your BPs out when you check in, if it's all on one ticket. If you bought separate tickets, you'll very likely have to go to the landside CX ticket counter.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
No transit desk.

I needed to go to the gate for my CX BP. Not even the OW lounge would issue it.

<mod hat on>
As this is specific to LAX, we're relocating this thread.

~beckoa, co-moderator AS Mileage Plan
Old May 9, 2016, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kieron
Yes, you can walk all the way through. Head down into the tunnel around the midpoint of T6 (signs for "Delta Gates 50-59"), walk all the way past T5 and into T4, up to gate level, start heading towards the exit, turn left at the last gate to take the passageway to TBIT (signs for "Gates 130-159").

I'd say 15 minutes. More if you need to go to the further gates in TBIT.
My ticket is Alaska then CX on one ticket, so I hope to get the CX BP when I check in with Alaska. So, by taking the tunnel from LAX terminal 6 to terminal 4 then the connector to TBIT I won't have to encounter any security line? This sounds great - and hopefully it works. I certainly want to avoid a shuttle, as someone here posted, as that would mean exiting and reentering via security. Something I want to avoid as my connecting time is not that long, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Thank you for your reply.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you go landside, you can walk or take a shuttle bus which goes the long way around the loop. Some people advocate for walking on the arrivals level in order to be under cover if it's raining, but you get more exhaust fumes down there.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you go landside, you can walk or take a shuttle bus which goes the long way around the loop. Some people advocate for walking on the arrivals level in order to be under cover if it's raining, but you get more exhaust fumes down there.
loopflyer is specifically asking about an airside connection.
Originally Posted by loopflyer
Can someone tell me with assurance if there is an airside connection (tunnel?) to use, how long of a walk? I really would hate to have to exit the arriving terminal and then reenter the horrendously long security lines at Bradley at the hour I'm due to depart there.
Now that the T4 - TBIT Connector is open, there is no need to exit the secured area when walking from T6 to TBIT.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
If you want to take the shuttle from T6 to TBIT, where do you get it at T6? I have looked far and wide for a map that shows the information and have been unable to find anything except references to the shuttle. Thanks!!
Old May 10, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Klrduks
If you want to take the shuttle from T6 to TBIT, where do you get it at T6? I have looked far and wide for a map that shows the information and have been unable to find anything except references to the shuttle. Thanks!!
Gate 65A. It's a shuttle to T4, not TBIT.

edited to add: According to the AA app update pushed out yesterday (5/15), it's now moved to between gates 60 and 62, on the "stem" of the concourse closer to the exit.

Last edited by Kieron; May 16, 2016 at 6:19 pm
Old May 13, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton and SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
LAX international connection - from TBIT to Terminal 7

Hello! I've read a lot of conflicting, possibly outdated information about the best way to get from TBIT to Terminal 7 at LAX quickly. I have a very tight connection going from MEL-LAX-ORD and have no checked luggage. I'm not so concerned about clearing Customs as I have Global Entry and will be at the front of the plane, but the transfer time makes me nervous.

I've read about the new airside connector between terminals, but everything I've read is going FROM terminals TO TBIT and not the other way around. Not sure if clearing Customs affects this.

Some say that I should leave TBIT and take a shuttle bus, only to clear security again. I've also been told that I can request cart transportation and pay a tip (I'm United Platinum), but I haven't been able to confirm this.

If someone with experience can please clarify, it would cut down on some anxiety about making the connection. Thanks very much!

Last edited by cocktailsatewr; May 13, 2016 at 4:44 pm Reason: added routing for clarity
Old May 13, 2016, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit landside and clear security before boarding your next flight. You may do so at any terminal along the way between TBIT and T7. When construction on the connector building is finished - hopefully, this month - there will be a security checkpoint on the first level.

Please check the Wikipost at the top of the page for more information.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cocktailsatewr
Hello! I've read a lot of conflicting, possibly outdated information about the best way to get from TBIT to Terminal 7 at LAX quickly. I have a very tight connection going from MEL-LAX-ORD and have no checked luggage. I'm not so concerned about clearing Customs as I have Global Entry and will be at the front of the plane, but the transfer time makes me nervous.

I've read about the new airside connector between terminals, but everything I've read is going FROM terminals TO TBIT and not the other way around. Not sure if clearing Customs affects this.

Some say that I should leave TBIT and take a shuttle bus, only to clear security again. I've also been told that I can request cart transportation and pay a tip (I'm United Platinum), but I haven't been able to confirm this.

If someone with experience can please clarify, it would cut down on some anxiety about making the connection. Thanks very much!
After you clear customs, you have to exit to landside per US regulation.

TBIT to T7 is the longest walk at LAX and it will take about 20 minutes if you are a fast pace walker. If you want to walk, I suggest you go up stairs to the departure level which is a lot more pleasant (sun light plus lower noise level and car exhaust).

The landside shuttle transfer time is competitive with walking (one of the only time this is true at LAX) so if you wish, you can do this at the arrival level. Look for the sign outside TBIT that directs you to LAX Terminal Shuttle A. It will take about 20 minutes waiting and actual time on the bus.

There is very little point to try to clear security at T4, T5, or T6 along the way. You are *A elite so go directly to T7 and use the UA elite line.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
LAX clearing customs/ security on a sat afternoon

Landing in LAX on an international arrival at 130 on a Sat afternoon. I have two hours to make my connection to an AA domestic flight at 3:30. Will this be enough time? Side notes: flying in on first class via SQ, I have GE and precheck. US passport holder. Two separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.