Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint, a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2016 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 2 June 2016 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by always_solo
Good to know. The last time I tried to pass through a terminal that was not my own was a few years back, so I'm glad to see that things have changed.
The change was announced on September 8, 2014.
Originally Posted by @flyLAXairport
Enjoy every terminal amenity even if you’re not flying from that terminal! Have boarding pass for same-day travel & enjoy!
@kiat77 Now they do & why we're sharing this information with all of our travelers...
@hs247 as long as you have a valid boarding pass with same-day departure & a valid government issued ID, you're good...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Hi all,

I have not entered US through LAX for a LONG time and so do not know the situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

Situation as follows:
Arriving from NRT on AA170 at noon this summer.
Departing LAX to LAS on AA, trying to decide on the connection flight of 15.25 or 16.58 or 19.51 to LAS.

Party of 3. I am US citizen with GE, not that it matters since we will have checked bags.
Wife and MIL on tourist visas, though they may be able to follow me using the US citizen line?

Would the 15.25 flight be too much of a risk? On one ticket.

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indo79
Would the 15.25 flight be too much of a risk? On one ticket.
American Airlines' international to domestic Minimum Connect Time (MCT) at LAX is two hours, so your 3:25 pm flight to LAS is a legal connection. In the unlikely event that you miss it, American will protect you and book you on a later flight.

Check the AA Guide: LAX / Los Angeles Int Airport, MCT / Connection, etc. (Master thread) in the American Airlines forum for additional AA specific information.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:36 am

Thanks TWA884!

Another question. Is LAX TBIT like ORD where after customs and before leaving secured area, you can re-check your bags to your final destination (LAS) or do I have to bring 3 checked bags to T4?

My MIL is 78 years old, flying in from CGK-NRT (heading to city)-LAX-LAS. Hats off to her!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Thanks TWA884!

Another question. Is LAX TBIT like ORD where after customs and before leaving secured area, you can re-check your bags to your final destination (LAS) or do I have to bring 3 checked bags to T4?

My MIL is 78 years old, flying in from CGK-NRT (heading to city)-LAX-LAS. Hats off to her!
There is re-check station right outside customs so you don't need to bring your bags to T4 as long as they are tagged properly to LAS. And depending on when you make this trip, the land side TBIT-T4 connector maybe open so you can re-clear TSA without ever leaving TBIT.

The air side connector (useful when you depart LAS-LAX-NRT-CGK) is scheduled to open in February 2016.

The land side connector (useful when you arrive CGK-NRT-LAX-[immigration & custom]-LAS) is scheduled to open by summer 2016.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

Nice... I can't even get my MIL who's 65 to fly SEA-LAX
As others have said, it's actually not too bad, especially now that the new TBIT building is open. No worries booking the 15:35 flight, and if you miss it AA should be able to easily accommodate you. The key is definitely confirming that your bags are checked all the way to LAS.

And don't any bananas or other fresh fruit in your bags... even if you eat them on the plane before arrival, those CBP beagles will stiff you out and delay your transfer further.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:49 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by bzcat
There is re-check station right outside customs so you don't need to bring your bags to T4 as long as they are tagged properly to LAS. And depending on when you make this trip, the land side TBIT-T4 connector maybe open so you can re-clear TSA without ever leaving TBIT.

The air side connector (useful when you depart LAS-LAX-NRT-CGK) is scheduled to open in February 2016.

The land side connector (useful when you arrive CGK-NRT-LAX-[immigration & custom]-LAS) is scheduled to open by summer 2016.
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Nice... I can't even get my MIL who's 65 to fly SEA-LAX
As others have said, it's actually not too bad, especially now that the new TBIT building is open. No worries booking the 15:35 flight, and if you miss it AA should be able to easily accommodate you. The key is definitely confirming that your bags are checked all the way to LAS.

And don't any bananas or other fresh fruit in your bags... even if you eat them on the plane before arrival, those CBP beagles will stiff you out and delay your transfer further.
Perfect! Will change to 15.25 flight. This trip is in end of June.

With regards to fruits, oh they are Australian residents so trust me, we know all about customs
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:19 pm

I'll just add that the tunnel used by international arrivals to go from T4 to the Federal Inspection Facility at TBIT has reopened (source).
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:15 pm

lax international connection

I depart mexico city on American and connect through LAX to Sydney on Quantis. How are my checked bags handled at LAX. I am probably arriving at Anmerican terminal 4 and will depart LAX international terminal. and how long to clear customs in LAX
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Say6966
I am moving your thread to the LAX Forum for continuing discussion....
Obscure2k
Travelbuzz Moderator

Last edited by obscure2k; Feb 5, 2016 at 9:13 pm Reason: moving thread
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Say6966
I depart mexico city on American and connect through LAX to Sydney on Quantis. How are my checked bags handled at LAX. I am probably arriving at Anmerican terminal 4 and will depart LAX international terminal. and how long to clear customs in LAX
You will use TBIT immigration and custom. Once you clear custom and are land side you can recheck your luggage (if tagged to SYD) at the recheck station; or you can just take it upstairs with you to QF check in counter.

US passport holder should clear immigration in a few minutes via the self service kiosk. Foreign passport holders should expect at least 60 minutes in line. When you get off the plane, pay attention to see if there are AA agents passing out transit pass that will allow you to use the shorter line at immigration.

Custom could take 10 minutes or 2 hours depending on how fast your bags come out and how long is the line.

Last edited by bzcat; Feb 5, 2016 at 10:52 pm
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:04 am

You will use TBIT immigration and custom. Once you clear custom and are land side you can recheck your luggage (if tagged to SYD) at the recheck station; or you can just take it upstairs with you to QF check in counter.

US passport holder should clear immigration in a few minutes via the self service kiosk. Foreign passport holders should expect at least 60 minutes in line. When you get off the plane, pay attention to see if there are AA agents passing out transit pass that will allow you to use the shorter line at immigration.

Custom could take 10 minutes or 2 hours depending on how fast your bags come out and how long is the line.
I know that Say6966 has to go through immigration when making an international to international connection in the US, however, are you sure that bags checked through to their final destination outside the US have to clear customs during this connection?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I know that Say6966 has to go through immigration when making an international to international connection in the US, however, are you sure that bags checked through to their final destination outside the US have to clear customs during this connection?
I'm pretty sure you do.

NZ 1/2 had to get a special waiver from Homeland Security so you don't need to pick up the luggage on LHR-LAX-AKL, only if the passengers are continuing on the same flight (i.e. NZ1 to NZ1 no need to clear custom but NZ1 to NZ5 have to clear custom). Don't think any waiver exists for other airlines, especially since the itinerary we are talking about involves 2 airlines.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I'm pretty sure you do.

NZ 1/2 had to get a special waiver from Homeland Security so you don't need to pick up the luggage on LHR-LAX-AKL, only if the passengers are continuing on the same flight (i.e. NZ1 to NZ1 no need to clear custom but NZ1 to NZ5 have to clear custom). Don't think any waiver exists for other airlines, especially since the itinerary we are talking about involves 2 airlines.
This is correct, customs will have to be cleared at LAX as well as US immigration. The T4-TBIT connector should be open, but I don't think this in any way changes the process.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:40 pm

How long should it take to go from T8 to T4? I have TSA precheck if I need to go outside security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.