Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint, a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2016 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 2 June 2016 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
P.S. The LAWA Executive Management Program Status Reports can be accessed here:
This is their latest update (from November, page 41):
Originally Posted by LAWA
The dry-in work for the secure passenger connection between Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) and Terminal 4 is complete. Work progresses toward the February 2016 opening.

The project schedule was impacted by the discovery of unknown utilities which necessitated re-designing the foundation in the landside area. The project team has re-prioritized the project scope so that key components related to the passenger walkway will be completed close to original schedule target date. The project team continues to work with the contractor to mitigate any further delay with the remaining work.
Reading a bit deeper, work on the walkway should be finished on February 25 and the project completed on May 25, 2016.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 19, 2016 at 7:02 pm Reason: Add detail
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:16 am
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
UA or AA to connect to TN in TBIT?

Hey folks,

I have a trip from LAX-PPT on TN that I booked on AA using Award miles. Hurray. Now, I'm working on booking SFO-LAX separately.

It looks like I have two options:
1. via UA @ $70
2. via AA @ $113

Should I take UA or AA?

The pros of taking AA is that I could then ask them to interline at SFO. And in theory, if things go awry on the AA SFO-LAX flight resulting in missing the TN flight, they should take care of me... right? (Is this a good assumption)

On the other hand the UA flight is a slightly better time, and it's almost 50% the price! But then I'd have to pick up my bags and re-check them in, correct?

What would you do?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by popomama
I have the following connection. Anyone think I will have issue for catch the connection?

AA 5971 SFO-> LAX arrive at LAX at 9:42AM
AA 183 LAX->PVG(Shanghai) depart at 11:30

Thanks.
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Easy peasy; plenty of time, same terminal, you'll probably be bored with how much time you have .

I would check the previous day in case of weather issues... SFO and sometimes LAX are prone to fog this time of year, that early in the morning.
Well... not necessarily same terminal.

AA5971 is an Eagle flight operated by E170 so it will arrive at the remote terminal. The bus ride from remote terminal to T4 is about 20~25 minutes.

AA183 has departed from both T4 and TBIT. I would check the terminal/gate before you board the SFO-LAX flight.

If it is departing from T4 on the day of your travel, you can just walk to the gate after arriving from the bus.

If it is departing from TBIT on the day of your travel, you need to transfer to the T4-TBIT shuttle at Gate 44. If the T4-TBIT shuttle is not running, then you have to exit to the curbside and walk over to TBIT and clear TSA again.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by dtc
Hey folks,

I have a trip from LAX-PPT on TN that I booked on AA using Award miles. Hurray. Now, I'm working on booking SFO-LAX separately.

1. via UA @ $70
2. via AA @ $113

Should I take UA or AA?

The pros of taking AA is that I could then ask them to interline at SFO. And in theory, if things go awry on the AA SFO-LAX flight resulting in missing the TN flight, they should take care of me... right? (Is this a good assumption)

On the other hand the UA flight is a slightly better time, and it's almost 50% the price! But then I'd have to pick up my bags and re-check them in, correct?

What would you do?
1. I don't think AA will protect you if you miss the TN flight. You are using AA miles but your LAX-PPT trip is ticketed and operated by TN. AA's responsibility is only SFO-LAX if you are using AA for that segment. [rant] In the old days before AA eliminated the North American gateway rule for mileage redemption, you could have routed your award SFO-LAX-PPT using the same number of miles as LAX-PPT... in which case TN would have ticketed SFO-LAX-PPT (with AA operating SFO-LAX) and TN would be responsible for leaving you behind[/rant]

2. Neither UA or AA will check your bags thru. See here for AA-specific info: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...kets-changing/ Remember... you are connecting from an AA flight to a TN flight, not a AA to AA or AA to OneWorld flight.

3. I would personally use AA because the T4 to TBIT transfer is easy short walk (less than 1 minute). If you use UA, it is either a long walk or a long shuttle ride (either way, it is around 25 minutes).

4. So it really comes down to schedule. Since you have to wait for your luggage to come out, I would recommend at least 90 minutes if you are using AA mainline (737 flights), 2 hours if you are using AA Eagle (E170 flights) or UA.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 20, 2016 at 4:28 pm Reason: Add quoted post for context after merging threads
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dtc
Hey folks,

1. via UA @ $70
2. via AA @ $113

Should I take UA or AA?

What would you do?
both are equally unreliable at this point. i'd probably choose AA, as I think they are slightly less unreliable out of SFO than UA. book a long "layover" (at least 2 hours, preferably 3).
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:49 pm

T1 to Tbit

Is there a way to get from T1 to Tbit without going security? Like a tunnel or something? Or just the bus and out of security?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by dlopan
Is there a way to get from T1 to Tbit without going security? Like a tunnel or something? Or just the bus and out of security?
Nope. Gotta exit T1, then take the bus to TBIT.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Nope. Gotta exit T1, then take the bus to TBIT.
How long to take the bus or walk?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

That depends how fast you walk. It's about half a mile, so it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes. The shuttle ride, including the wait and the stops at T2 and T3, is not likely to save you any time.

For additional details, please refer to the wikipost.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:31 pm

If you have only 1 small luggage, you should walk. It will be faster 10~15 minutes.

The bus will take at least 15 minutes but maybe worth it if you have lots of luggage or traveling with kids/elderly with mobility issues.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:36 pm

I want to use the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge at Terminal 2. My next flight leaves at Terminal 7. I will not need to re-check bags.

Should I clear security at terminal 5 or 6 and take the Tunnels to terminal 7? Or just go right to security at terminal 7?

Are the tunnels within security or outside of security?

Will security at terminals 5/6 let me clear myself through their security lines if I have a ticket for terminal 7?

I'm just trying to think of the fastest way to do this and how much time I need to give myself.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by marktwothousand
I want to use the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge at Terminal 2. My next flight leaves at Terminal 7. I will not need to re-check bags.

Should I clear security at terminal 5 or 6 and take the Tunnels to terminal 7? Or just go right to security at terminal 7?

Will security at terminals 5/6 let me clear myself through their security lines if I have a ticket for terminal 7?

I'm just trying to think of the fastest way to do this and how much time I need to give myself.
Walking directly across the parking garages from T2 will put you at T6, so you might as well use security there and walk the tunnel to T7, which is airside.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:57 pm

Since LAX is situated in a "U" pattern, leaving T2 and crossing the parking garage will set you out in front of T6.

If you LOVE being inside airports, you can try to go in through security at T6. I've been allowed AND rejected at different times for having a gate 70-88 boarding pass at the 60-69 checkpoint.

But usually, it's not worth it to me. I'll just walk along the outside path (and since it's LA, it's generally pretty good weather) and go in through the T7 security.

Time to leisurely walk out of MLL in T2, across the lot and to T7, I would estimate to be 10-15 minutes (google maps pedometer says .5 miles). Obviously the security time will vary.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:09 pm

The tunnels are located in the secured area, past the TSA checkpoints.

Terminals 6, 7 and 8 are connected behind security on the departure level; there is no need to use the tunnels to connect between these terminals.

Originally Posted by always_solo
If you LOVE being inside airports, you can try to go in through security at T6. I've been allowed AND rejected at different times for having a gate 70-88 boarding pass at the 60-69 checkpoint.
The official policy is that travelers with same-day boarding passes may access any terminal at the airport.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
The official policy is that travelers with same-day boarding passes may access any terminal at the airport.
Good to know. The last time I tried to pass through a terminal that was not my own was a few years back, so I'm glad to see that things have changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.