Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint, a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2016 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 2 June 2016 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Would love some advice please.

Flying into LA in October, 2016 on QF15 from Brisbane at 0600.
Australian passport, 4th trip to the USA in 6 years (2nd trip on my current passport).
Have used ESTA all 4 trips.

The Qantas website is giving the following options for connecting flights to Seattle (on the one ticket)

0800 - VX781 (Virgin America T3)
0840 - AS455 (Alaska Airlines T6)
0950 - UA5608 (United Airlines T8)
1040 - AS449 (Alaska Airlines T6)

Will have checked bags and would like to have enough time to quickly grab some food in between flights.

What would be the most appropriate connecting flight?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
While the international to domestic minimum connect time at LAX is 2 hours, if I were you, I'd go for the 8:40 AS flight. The reason being that AS has the most flights from LAX to SEA - as many as 16 a day - so there are numerous backup options in case of a misconnect.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by kcupp95
Would love some advice please.

Flying into LA in October, 2016 on QF15 from Brisbane at 0600.
Australian passport, 4th trip to the USA in 6 years (2nd trip on my current passport).
Have used ESTA all 4 trips.

The Qantas website is giving the following options for connecting flights to Seattle (on the one ticket)

0800 - VX781 (Virgin America T3)
0840 - AS455 (Alaska Airlines T6)
0950 - UA5608 (United Airlines T8)
1040 - AS449 (Alaska Airlines T6)

Will have checked bags and would like to have enough time to quickly grab some food in between flights.

What would be the most appropriate connecting flight?
you will not have any problem making it to AS455, IMO. VX781 might be a little bit close for comfort, however T3 is closer than T6 so a shorter walk, thus saving some time (5-10 mins).

UA5608 is an express flight on a CR700. probably to be avoided for that reason alone given that VX and AS fly the big planes.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Since you have checked luggage, I wouldn't do any connection with less than 2:30. The Alaska one at 8:40 AM is the earliest I would attempt. Also gives you some time to eat breakfast

Regarding walking distance... by the time kcupp95 makes this trip (in October 2016), the TBIT-T4 connector should be open. That means potentially, kcupp95 can recheck the luggage and then clear security right in TBIT and then board the transfer bus to T6 - the TBIT/T4 bus depot will be right past TSA checkpoint in the connector building, and I'm assuming LAWA will be operating some type of shuttle. This info will need to be verified once TBIT-T4 connector opens.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bzcat
Since you have checked luggage, I wouldn't do any connection with less than 2:30. The Alaska one at 8:40 AM is the earliest I would attempt. Also gives you some time to eat breakfast
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you will not have any problem making it to AS455, IMO. VX781 might be a little bit close for comfort, however T3 is closer than T6 so a shorter walk, thus saving some time (5-10 mins).
Originally Posted by TWA884
While the international to domestic minimum connect time at LAX is 2 hours, if I were you, I'd go for the 8:40 AS flight. The reason being that AS has the most flights from LAX to SEA - as many as 16 a day - so there are numerous backup options in case of a misconnect.
Thanks guys - I was hoping that flight would be a good option
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _kydi
2) To save time, is it possible to cut through parking lots 7 and 1? Or would this be an even greater headache?
Originally Posted by serfty
Q2: Yes to cut through - I'd walk down on the arrivals level to just past the "spacehip" restaurant building and cut through there using the pedestrian crossings (You need to navigate the ground floor of a car park)
There's also an elevated route that avoids waiting for the pedestrian signals at the crosswalks (there are three road crossings on the route):

From T1, you can take the stairs or elevator up from directly under the skyway to the P1 lot. When you get across, you're on level 4 of P1, and have to go down one level (stairs or elevator right there) to level 3 of P1, and you can walk straight across the road bridge between P1 and P7, saving you having to get across the center road if there's traffic. At the far side of P7 there's a structure with stairs and elevators that takes you up one level to get to the bridge across to T7, so the bridges to the terminals are on level 4, even though P7 only has 3 parking levels. If you're fast on stairs it's likely faster than the ground level route-- I'll try timing it on the next few trips.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
2016 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Hi,

I have a connecting flight from T2 to TBIT with a 2hr 30min connection. Do you recommend walking or taking the shuttle? If walking, how long is the walk. Also, I'm assuming I have to clear security again. Do you think I'll have enough time to visit the Star Alliance lounge?

Does anyone know how many showers if any are located at the Star Alliance First Class Lounge?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Presumably it's a Domestic to International connection.

Plenty of time if flights are on schedule.

It's a five minute walk at most from T2 to TBIT - the Bus will generally take more time (moreover its TBIT stop is really between T3 and TBIT).

There are no showers specifically for the *A first lounge; that 'lounge' is really a relatively small separate room abutting the main lounge with some better f&b as well as a short menu of snacks to order). Not sure about atcual count, but there's at least 6 showers - they'll give you a beeper if busy.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I've got a Virgin America flight from LAS-LAX, then a Virgin Australia flight back to Australia. I have about 2 1/2 hours between flights. I believe I have to pick my baggage up and check back in, but are they in the same terminal? I thought they were, but I just read somewhere on here that Virgin Australia actually flies out of TBIT?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by oh_lol
I've got a Virgin America flight from LAS-LAX, then a Virgin Australia flight back to Australia. I have about 2 1/2 hours between flights. I believe I have to pick my baggage up and check back in, but are they in the same terminal? I thought they were, but I just read somewhere on here that Virgin Australia actually flies out of TBIT?
Virgin Am and Virgin Aus both operate out of T3 according to the LAX website, only Virgin Aus arrivals are at TBIT then departures are at T3. i'm not sure how up to date that info is.

if your travel is on a single ticket you probably will not need to recheck your bag at LAX, you should be able to check it all the way to your final destination at LAS. if you have separate tickets you can ask about interlining your baggage at LAS, but if they refuse, you will have to reclaim and recheck at LAX.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Virgin Am and Virgin Aus both operate out of T3 according to the LAX website, only Virgin Aus arrivals are at TBIT then departures are at T3. i'm not sure how up to date that info is.

if your travel is on a single ticket you probably will not need to recheck your bag at LAX, you should be able to check it all the way to your final destination at LAS. if you have separate tickets you can ask about interlining your baggage at LAS, but if they refuse, you will have to reclaim and recheck at LAX.
Virgin Australia departs from TBIT. Only check in is at T3.

If you do not need to check in (e.g. already have boarding pass and your e-visa already checked and verified by airline), you can proceed directly to TBIT and clear TSA/go to gate.

If you need to get boarding pass or re-check luggage, you need to go to T3 landside first to get those things squared away. Then you walk next door to TBIT and clear TSA and go to gate.

If LAS-LAX-SYD (or BNE) is on the same ticket, I'm pretty sure VX will interlined the baggage and there is no need to pick up and re-check. Just confirm with the agent at LAS to be sure. Even if you have to re-check, it is not the end of the world because you have to leave T3 anyway to get to TBIT.

Last edited by bzcat; Jan 19, 2016 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:14 pm

I have the following connection. Anyone think I will have issue for catch the connection?

AA 5971 SFO-> LAX arrive at LAX at 9:42AM
AA 183 LAX->PVG(Shanghai) depart at 11:30

Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by popomama
I have the following connection. Anyone think I will have issue for catch the connection?

AA 5971 SFO-> LAX arrive at LAX at 9:42AM
AA 183 LAX->PVG(Shanghai) depart at 11:30

Thanks.
Easy peasy; plenty of time, same terminal, you'll probably be bored with how much time you have .

I would check the previous day in case of weather issues... SFO and sometimes LAX are prone to fog this time of year, that early in the morning.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:23 pm

Any update on T4 Connector Project?

Hi,
Anyone know the latest status of this project? When can we expect to get to Tom Bradley International Terminal from T4 without going through the security check again?

Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by popomama
Hi,
Anyone know the latest status of this project? When can we expect to get to Tom Bradley International Terminal from T4 without going through the security check again?

Thanks.
This is the latest from the AA T-4 - LAX TBIT Int'l. terminal & airside connector coming o/a early 2016 thread in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum:
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes, according to the Executive Management Program Status Report that LAWA releases every month. While the connector ran into a few issues they have prioritized the work to ensure a Feb 2016 opening for the airside walkway and it is on schedule.

Only about six more weeks before this shuttling nonsense between TBIT and T4 ends.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.