Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint, a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2016 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 2 June 2016 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From the Wikipost at the top of the page:
Originally Posted by Wikipost
... if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:47 pm

Thanks! Can you get boarding passes printed out at the baggage recheck area or is it simply a bag drop off? Also, I am arriving around 7PM ish. I don't have GE. Is it actually quicker to do the auto kiosks and then go into the line or just go straight into the line as a US citizen?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I don't have GE. Is it actually quicker to do the auto kiosks and then go into the line or just go straight into the line as a US citizen?
Please ask that question in the following thread:
Thank you,

TWA884
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:04 pm

Moderator's Note:

A recent question and an answer about visiting the Hard rock Cafe and the Hollywood Walk of Fame during a 10 hours layover at LAX were moved to the the following thread:
TWA884
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I am flying from EUG to LAX on Alaska and LAX-DXB-AMS on Emirates. (All one ticket) As I see it, I have three main options:

1. Check my bags all the way through to AMS in EUG. This would allow me to stay air-side at LAX as you can now go from Terminal 6 to TBIT. This option would save me time at LAX but, as I am flying FC, my bags would not be tagged as FC for Emirates so it would take me longer in AMS to collect my bags. (In theory)

2. Check my bags in EUG to LAX only, collect my bags at Terminal 6 and re-check my bags with Emirates at TBIT. (I have a long layover so this would work.) This would mean going back through security at TBIT. This would cost me time at LAX but (again, in theory) save me time at my final destination.

3. Do option 2 but instead of going back though security at TBIT (assuming long lines and no priority line) go to T4 and go through priority security there as I am an American Gold.

Here are my questions

1. Which would you do?
2. Does TBIT have a priority security line for Emirates?
3. Can I use my AA Gold status to use the priority line at T4 with non-AA tickets?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Klrduks; Aug 2, 2016 at 4:27 pm
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Klrduks
1. Which would you do?
2. Does TBIT have a priority security line for Emirates?
3. Can I use my AA Gold status to use the priority line at T4 with non-AA tickets?

Thanks in advance for your help.
1. I would do 1 by default... I believe that your class is supposed to be coded into the bag tag itself, but I'm not sure if the AS tag would "have" that info. Either way, I think you'd spend more time and effort at LAX getting your bag to TBIT just to have an F tag vs. the extra time you'd wait for your bags in AMS.

2. There is a priority security lane in TBIT for all premium airline passengers.

3. No; your AA GLD status matters not for entering T4, since you are on an EK ticket.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Thank you IceTrojan. That helps.

Alaska does not show status on their bag tags so it would probably get loaded into regular baggage. Those traveling to Amsterdam have said that on a A380, it may take 45-60 minutes to unload all of the bags. Emirates does tag their bags based on cabin flown and their B & F cabin baggage usually comes out first.

I guess bottom line is, do I want to spend 30-45 minutes at the end of the trip waiting for a bag or spend 30-45 minutes at LAX in the middle.

Still pondering. Thanks again.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You can ask in the lounge and see if Emirates can retag your bags for you. No guarantees but a better option that having to collect bags, recheck in, and go back through security.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
My question would be whether Emirates has its own employees unloading at AMS or do they utilize contractors working for Schipol or another third party?

If the latter, the likelihood that the container holding the priority bags is in fact processed first, is greatly diminished.

Either way, I would NOT pick up the bags at LAX.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:02 am

Is there an air side link (walking, bus, etc) between T2 and T3?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Is there an air side link (walking, bus, etc) between T2 and T3?
No.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:05 am
Juz

TBIT tight connection

I have a 2 hour connection 06:30-08:30 from TBIT to T7 (ua)

I'm from Australia and I have a visa waiver, can I or should I be using the self serve passport kiosks in customs for a faster entry?

I know I have to drop my bags off exit the building and re enter through t7 and re check security which is a pain

Anyone have advice or previous experiences? I'm worried I'll miss the connecting flight
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
You can use the APC Kiosks providing you've entered on the VWP at least once since 2008 (I believe). It's not necessarily faster.

Never done a connection at LAX so can't help with the rest, but clearing CBP without GE has taken me 90 minutes before (BOS).
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
It's not without risk, but if you arrive on time you should be ok. I assume you know that your best bet is to walk to T7 from TBIT.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How important is a timely arrival at your final destination? When is the next flight is you misconnect? These are all considerations when you book a connection which is somewhat tight, but doable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.