Reload this Page >

LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Airport Commissioners Approve Final Environmental Impact Report for LAX Landside Access Modernization Program

Excerpt:
LAMP consists of several primary components: an Automated People Mover (APM) system with six stations that would transport passengers between the CTA and the other main project components located east of the CTA. These other components include a Consolidated Rent-A-Car Facility (ConRAC) and two new Intermodal Transportation Facilities, which include public parking and passenger drop-off and pick-up areas. To provide access to the Metro regional rail system, the APM system would include a station at the Intermodal Transit Facility where it interfaces with Metros Airport Metro Connector station at 96th Street/Aviation Boulevard. In addition to the major components listed, LAMP would also include planned roadway improvements throughout the LAX area.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:22 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I rarely visit LAX since moving from the city in 2009, but I just have to say that after a recent trip there last week, the upper roadway was absolutely terrible. I was stunned at how the Hertz shuttle from the rental car dropoff took 15 min just to get to the upper roadway, and basically another 15 min to get around to T7 United. This is way worse than I ever remembered, and I don't know what the main problem is -- the lane closures, badly time traffic lights, mergers and intersections of the different sections of loop shortcuts, or what. It was absolutely awful, and if I had not arrived a bit early, I would have missed my flight.

Are there any interim measures that they are considering putting in place to segment lanes / create bypass lanes to help traffic move better, and not allow one terminal's traffic to clog up the entire loop's?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've lived here all my life and notice the same thing. It probably has a lot to do with this: http://www.travelandleisure.com/airl...siest-airports

It's a staggering figure - third busiest airport in the world, 83,000,000 passengers last year. And, there's the usual figure that goes along with it of LAX being the busiest O&D airport in the world coupled with the fact that every single one of those passengers arrives and departs the airport in some motor vehicle conveyance. There is not one train/trolley/monorail/etc that moves passengers into and out of LAX off the road. Consider that a huge number of Atlanta's numbers come from Delta passengers transiting and they never leave the airport. Beijing has a train for access, which alleviates some of the motor traffic. Then, you have LAX - everyone arrives in a vehicle on the roadway with rubber tires.

Until something is built, we continue to grapple with the gridlock.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:55 pm
TA

I noticed they didn't have a lot of police/parking enforcement shooing people who were waiting in cars idle. Maybe that could help a bit...
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:50 am
TA

Is it possible for the parking structures to be used as early exits somehow, for traffic that has finished their business at the terminal curbside, to divert them from further blocking the upper roadway while trying to get out?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will not go to the arrivals level. Period. I feel like I'm going to die down there trying to get in to the inner lanes.

I get off at Nash sometimes instead of Sepulveda. Maybe it doesn't save any time but I feel like I am moving at least.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Apr 2, 2017 at 10:09 pm
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I will not go to the arrivals level. Period. I feel like I'm going to die down there trying to get in to the inner lanes.
A week ago, my daughter's flight arrived at T7 half an hour early at 8 am. Normally, I pick her up on the departure level. However, last Sunday traffic on the upper roadway was backed up so badly that Waze advised me that it would take 15 minutes to get to T7 from Sepulveda via Vicksburg Ave and the East Way cutoff. Instead, I kept to the right where Vicksburg Ave intersects with World Way and stayed on the lower level. It took only three minutes to drive around the airport and I got to T7 before she got off the plane (yes, I had to go around which took another five minutes).
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
It will eventually be interesting to see if adding a central peoplemover/tram/intermodal transit center plus more public transit plus consolidation of rental cars into one ginormous facility makes things "work" from a transportation perspective, but, as one who is part of the O/D problem, I fully expect that the construction that's going to happen will make the interim problems even worse.
Without a substantial change in how people get to the LAX complex (i.e. including the transit center) from the 105, it's probably going to have limited impact--that's become a severe bottleneck, and the layout of roads around the area doesn't help-- there aren't a lot of through roads that will get you to the lot C/transit center area by taking other exits off the 105.

I used to use the old lot B instead of C to avoid the slow trip through the tunnel. It was a little longer bus ride, but it was way easier to get to and the return buses from the terminal ran more often.

It does look like they might have finally improved the lot C bus situation - I didn't travel much last year out of LAX, but it had gotten bad enough that I could walk from T7 to Lot C faster than taking the bus. A few weeks ago it looked like they had a bunch of new buses and were actually using them.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TA
Is it possible for the parking structures to be used as early exits somehow, for traffic that has finished their business at the terminal curbside, to divert them from further blocking the upper roadway while trying to get out?
Not form the upper level but the lower level has a service road in the middle of the loop. You don't need to go all the way around to the south side to exit.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
1. a Miami-style high speed monorail connecting the terminals with a centralized rental car and transportation hub station off-site
This is part of the Landside Access Modernization Program: http://www.laxishappening.com/connecting-lax/
Old May 15, 2017, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
This is part of the Landside Access Modernization Program: http://www.laxishappening.com/connecting-lax/
At the rate they are going, it could be 10-15 years out
Old May 15, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
At the rate they are going, it could be 10-15 years out
2024 is the estimated completion of construction of the automated people mover and consolidated rental car facility.

http://www.laxishappening.com/assets...-Factsheet.pdf
Old May 16, 2017, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
2024 is the estimated completion of construction of the automated people mover and consolidated rental car facility.

http://www.laxishappening.com/assets...-Factsheet.pdf
That is way too long for a project like this - 3-4 years tops, and they've already overpaid on the estimate, let alone the final bill.

In that amount of time, they should be adding the seamless overlay onto the terminal buildings as well.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:16 pm

The Parking Spot is apparently feeling threatened by the plan.
Parking lot operator sues LA over LAX upgrades

Excerpt:
Benjamin M. Reznik, a lawyer representing the parking lot companies, tells Curbed that the report proposes making the main terminal loop open to cars only, meaning shuttle buses and other “aggregators” would not be allowed. This would be a big shakeup for parking lot companies, whose customers use shuttle buses to get to and from parking and the airport, Reznik says. The parking companies want the EIR to assess the opposite—restricting cars.

Trevor Daley, the chief of external affairs for Los Angeles World Airports, told the Times that the lawsuit was “a clear attempt for the Parking Spot to preserve their parking revenue by slowing down this important project that moves passengers efficiently.”
Of note is that their attorney is a longtime friend.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
CEQA lawsuits are routine in projects like this for opportunist to blackmail a settlement.

I'm sure Parking Spot's main objective here is to ensure it can still send its shuttles into LAX rather than forced to pickup and drop off at the transit center. And extract some cash out of LAWA while they are at it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.