Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
As a longtime and frequent Parking Spot renter, I can see why they'd be concerned (though not sure their lawsuit is valid). If, in the future, when I park at Parking Spot their shuttle van has to take me to the consolidated transit center, I don't see why I wouldn't just park at the municipal lots.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
KPCC:
LA to take fading LAX community by eminent domain

The Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday voted unanimously to use eminent domain to acquire the remaining residential properties in a neighborhood near the Los Angeles International Airport.

The city affirmed a vote in June by the Board of Airport Commissioners to start the government process of taking private property in the Manchester Square area through forced purchase, clearing the path for airport expansion projects.

The area will be the future home of a rental car center, additional airport parking and a public transportation hub.

<snip>
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAWA released a video showing how the automated people mover will connect consolidated car rental facility, the remote parking and the public transportation hub to the terminals:

Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TWA884
LAWA released a video showing how the automated people mover will connect consolidated car rental facility, the remote parking and the public transportation hub to the terminals:

The Future of LAX - Automated People Mover
So they are pretty much turning LAX into MIA. It would be nice if they added security in the consolidated facility so the people mover would run airside and incentivize passengers to use a kiss-n-fly drop-off at the consolidated facility vs driving to the terminals, as well as simplify transfers between the terminals and allow a more flexible allocation of gate space.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TWA884

The Future of LAX - Automated People Mover
The Ren LAX is going to get a bit noisier than now with that path for the people mover. Also, Randy's Donuts is gonna get a lot of foot traffic in the future.

The biggest problem with all of the modernization elements is to make access to your terminal longer and longer. Who's going to want to take this mover to and from T4/5/6/7/8/9? I'll make the walk across the central area but larger groups and those with lots of luggage are gonna have challenges.

Edit: re-viewing the video shows that its really after T1 and T7 that the walk across the middle gets longer the way that they've routed the mover - too bad they didn't have it stop at the Theme Building.

David

Last edited by DELee; Aug 18, 2017 at 3:33 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:50 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DELee
The Ren LAX is going to get a bit noisier than now with that path for the people mover. Also, Randy's Donuts is gonna get a lot of foot traffic in the future.

The biggest problem with all of the modernization elements is to make access to your terminal longer and longer. Who's going to want to take this mover to and from T4/5/6/7/8/9? I'll make the walk across the central area but larger groups and those with lots of luggage are gonna have challenges.

Edit: re-viewing the video shows that its really after T1 and T7 that the walk across the middle gets longer the way that they've routed the mover - too bad they didn't have it stop at the Theme Building.

David
Cool video!

But it'll still take 45 minutes to get in/out of the terminal, but psychologically it won't feel as bad because people will be walking or on the people mover for that period of time instead of waiting in traffic.... </sarcasm>

More constructively, my guess is that there'll be a number of electric carts to drive people across the longer paths (eventually at least) & moving walkways. For example PVD has a long walk on a skybridge across the parking lot to their CRCF and SEA has a long walk through the parking structure to their light rail train. Both have an on-demand electric cart system for people with lots of luggage or who can't walk as easily.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

(1) Just where is this T9?
(2) What choice will people have? Order a for-hire vehicle from the rental lot?
(3) It will probably be no more difficult for those that already suffer a lower level drop off (who have to schlep from a center island, then get their luggage upstairs to find the check-in / bag drop).
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:57 pm

My understanding is that the APM will replace the car rental and the parking lot shuttles, and will provide easier access to bus and light rail public transportation. The plan does not call for the elimination of vehicular access to the central terminal area. The Landslide Access Modernization Program is projected to reduce traffic in the terminal area by as much as 27 percent, not eliminate it (source).

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(1) Just where is this T9?
A part of United Airlines President Scott Kirby's plan to expand at LAX?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
LAWA awarded contracts to construct the terminal buildings for the peoplemover train

LAX News Release: LAWA Authorizes $336-Million Design-Build Contract for Construction of Terminal Cores

ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:29 pm

Traffic likely will never get better at LAX because once you remove certain vehicles (e.g. rental car shuttles) from the ring road the excessive road capacity will be immediately filled by other vehicles currently avoiding that road. That's why highway and road expansion like the $1.5 billion I-405 widening a few years ago to "relive congestion" is a fools errand and wasted investment. The only way to relive congestion on ANY roadway is to properly charge for access - you need to levy a congestion charge (toll) to use the road if you want it to always be free flowing and easily accessible.

What the peoplemover will do is to provide alternative to people accessing the central terminal area (CTA) by vehicles, and that is a genuine access improvement. The vehicle access point now expands to the 3 peoplemover terminals outside the airport ring road, plus any of the Metro stations that can offer relative painless transfers to the peoplemover at the 96th street station. The whole point is to offer easy alternatives for you to get dropped off or picked up beyond the LAX CTA perimeter. The is no current alternative except by foot. Whether you drive, uber, rental car, taxi, or take the FlyAway or Metro, all involve getting on or off a vehicle inside the CTA ring road.

Last edited by bzcat; Feb 1, 2018 at 6:39 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
That's why highway and road expansion like the $1.5 billion I-405 widening a few years ago to "relive congestion" is a fools errand and wasted investment.
The last thing I ever want to do is relive the congestion around LAX, and building more lanes in and out will help do exactly that.

That's a very appropriate typo.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
LAX people mover design unveiled in new video. Work could begin on the project this year

The video shows off the design of the shuttle, which will transport passengers between terminals, rental car centers, and the under-construction Crenshaw/LAX Line. Traveling along an elevated track, trains will arrive every two minutes and rides from the 96th Street Metro Station are expected to take under 10 minutes start-to-finish.

Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaymar01
The video shows off the design of the shuttle, which will transport passengers between terminals, rental car centers, and the under-construction Crenshaw/LAX Line.
If they could improve road access to the people mover from the 105 (i.e some high-throughput exit that doesn't use the tunnel), that would be great.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Wow, talk about heavy LA 2028 in that video.

But, the good news is these projects will now finally happen with the Olympics coming for sure. It appears they were planned with the 2024 as the potential Olympics date.

I agree with the above that a better drop-off terminus outside the airport would be really smart.

Rasheed
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:18 pm

https://www.lawa.org/News%20Releases...20Release%2008

Demolition of Burger King to make way for the APM. Construction of APM should start in a couple of weeks.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.