Taca is the Pits

Old Sep 16, 05, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs down Taca is the Pits

Ok I know we should be happy that we even got our tkts. However I think Southwest treats its passengers better, and I Never flew WN.

To start with I had a Taca flight n Biz. Was told the Lounge is on the way to the plane, Nope they use Swiss's Lounge which is on a floor above the Check-in Floor and it cant be accessed once you go thru Security, didnt want to go thru Security a 2nd time so I stayed put.

Once aboard (flight was full 1/3 full in Biz), no FA came over to ask if I wanted anything till I got up and walked into the galley. Which was a sign of what to expect. Not until 1 1/2 hrs after take-off did the FA come around to see if anyone wanted anything to drink! Breakfast from what they did serve it seems they serve nothing at all. A small cup of fruit cocktail and a Muffin.

I would suggest to everyone to bring their own food with them if they wish to eat. And get ready for an FA that will hide and read a book in the jump seat and will get p*ssed when you ask them for something to drink since you are distrubing their reading. (happened on both flights).

I liked Taca when we were doing the RUN , but I guess they are in big trouble and one is treated like the Horses or Dogs that line the roads thoughout the Country-INDIFFERENCE at best.

Those having multiple flights OUCH,

A Pity to see this happen to an airline that seemed to have not been able to do any wrong during the RUN

Last edited by craz; Sep 26, 05 at 7:47 pm
Old Sep 18, 05, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

forgot to mention on both my flights the Pilots when they needed to to the lavs, Simply opened the Cockpit door and went on their way as if it was 9/10/2001. the FA was helping sell the food in coach with the other 3 FAs. Nothing except the curtain bet the cockpit and Biz section.

One time as I moved the curtain to go myself the CP door was wide open as the Pilot was coming out himself.
Old Sep 18, 05, 11:27 am

Programs: United 1K
My friends just got back from an LAX-LIM round trip on Taca and had a similar experience to the OP on their return flight with a very slow moving flight attendant who was clueless in customer service.
Old Sep 18, 05, 2:58 pm

Programs: Platinum AA, LatinPass Million Miler
Our experience was different

Even though service has changed since we first did the LP runs in 2000, we had great customer service on our recent flights in Business Class from Chicago to Guatemala City. Even though we only had sandwiches in both dirrections (redeye flights) they were served by very competent and friendly FAs. We were offered pre-flight drinks and several other drinks during the flight, including coffee service.
Old Sep 19, 05, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Although I wrote more extensively in the "Salones VIP" postings, I will comment on my 6 flights on TACA in the past 8 weeks.

Yes, they have gone downhill. No blankets or pillows even in Busn. for the Central Amer. destinations. Pillows only on the S. Amer. flights. Even attendents dont know why and showed sympathy. But they do keep cabin warmer (so no jacket needed) -- but a bit too warm for me.

We did have good service. Drinks before take-off and after. Warm nuts on flights. Meals were so-so -- so good to take a snack for yourself. Surely not much for Busn Class, except a slightly larger seat. Think domestic first class on a short haul flight.

Movies are old. Still deplane by stairs at some destinations, incl. SJO and Lima!

Agents at SJO were very helpful. I bought a chair in a box and wanted to check it in on my connection from EZE to LAX. No problem as I only had 3 check ins for the 2 of us to that point.

In every case, they did board Busn. Class first.... but if you go on a bus first, it does not matter much.

Planes were clean.

Yes TACA is not a great airline, but the people we dealt with were friendly and helpful. Hope you do the Santiago run and let us know.
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:02 am

Craz, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. The changes in onboard service on TACA have been well documented here. What were you expecting??

Sure, the example you cite of it taking 1.5 hours for the FA to come around to offer a drink sounds a bit odd. Very odd in fact. If it were me I certainly wouldn't have waited that long. I would have been buzzing that buzzer long before that. I want/need my Bloody Mary!!!

As for the security of the cockpit door, I could be wrong about it, but I don't believe that even the FAA specifies protocol for working the cockpit door, that is up to the airlines. I'd even go so far to say as I see nothing wrong with it, I think the domestics have gone a bit overboard with their security procedures.

So, onboard service is not great these days on TACA. I do think it's rediculous that there are no pillows or blankets for some of these overnight flights from the states to Central America. The food is pretty lousy in business class. I totally agree with those points. But from most other perspectives I think TACA is entirely competitive.

You say you could have gotten lounge access at JFK?? That's a new one for me, at least they are offering it. Absolutely nothing at ORD and most other departure points. Even SJO.

They have HOT NUTS now!! Whoo hoo! This was great on my last few flights. Love the hot nuts!! The FA brought me as much as I desired. And there were plenty of drinks and polite service from the FA's.

Here's a good reason I think your judgement of TACA might be a bit harsh: on my trip last month ORD-SJO-BOG and return in business class I had fine service on all segments. On the return through SJO we were weather delayed getting into SJO so I missed my ORD connecting flight. In spite of the delay being weather related TACA put me up for two nights (my flight was Friday, no flight SJO-ORD on Sunday) at the Holiday Inn downtown San Jose including all taxis, food, etc. This was totally above and beyond what would have been required and I salute TACA for their treatment of me during the delay.
Old Sep 23, 05, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tfjim
Craz, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. The changes in onboard service on TACA have been well documented here. What were you expecting??

Sure, the example you cite of it taking 1.5 hours for the FA to come around to offer a drink sounds a bit odd. Very odd in fact. If it were me I certainly wouldn't have waited that long. I would have been buzzing that buzzer long before that. I want/need my Bloody Mary!!!

As for the security of the cockpit door, I could be wrong about it, but I don't believe that even the FAA specifies protocol for working the cockpit door, that is up to the airlines. I'd even go so far to say as I see nothing wrong with it, I think the domestics have gone a bit overboard with their security procedures.

So, onboard service is not great these days on TACA. I do think it's rediculous that there are no pillows or blankets for some of these overnight flights from the states to Central America. The food is pretty lousy in business class. I totally agree with those points. But from most other perspectives I think TACA is entirely competitive.

You say you could have gotten lounge access at JFK?? That's a new one for me, at least they are offering it. Absolutely nothing at ORD and most other departure points. Even SJO.

They have HOT NUTS now!! Whoo hoo! This was great on my last few flights. Love the hot nuts!! The FA brought me as much as I desired. And there were plenty of drinks and polite service from the FA's.

Here's a good reason I think your judgement of TACA might be a bit harsh: on my trip last month ORD-SJO-BOG and return in business class I had fine service on all segments. On the return through SJO we were weather delayed getting into SJO so I missed my ORD connecting flight. In spite of the delay being weather related TACA put me up for two nights (my flight was Friday, no flight SJO-ORD on Sunday) at the Holiday Inn downtown San Jose including all taxis, food, etc. This was totally above and beyond what would have been required and I salute TACA for their treatment of me during the delay.
Just returned from another trip, this time to Europe, went over Continental and back on SAS, all legs were in Coach. Let me tell you I got better food, treatment etc... on both CO & SAS in coach then I did in Biz on Taca. the FAs on both were Constantly going around with Drinks and Snacks. On SAS those in Ecomony Plus werent left alone for more than 20 mins without having being offered something. I couldnt see into the Biz section but can only guess what it was like. I dont know about SAS situation but CO isnt growing $$$ on any trees.

Again even if Only to compare to what it was like during the Run, Taca is just a WN to me. Although I LOVE its flight times , I dont see myself using them in the future, (just as I more or less have left AA for the same reason and went to CO - where Im well over the Plat requirement already and Im a LifeTime Plat on AA). I do miss Avianca and would not hesitate to buy a tkt on them as they were Great.

Last edited by craz; Sep 26, 05 at 7:49 pm
Old Sep 23, 05, 1:28 pm

Craz,

I mostly agree with you on the service issue and that if it came down to buying tickets I don't see what TACA has to offer over the other legacy airlines. I'd rather collect AA or UA miles if I can I guess and get the same drab service.

I also agree that Avianca provides nice service and is worth the effort. I highly recommend that anyone passing through Bogota in the future take a day to stop in the city and check it out. Can be done easily.

Search this Thread