FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taca is the Pits
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:06 am
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by tfjim
Craz, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. The changes in onboard service on TACA have been well documented here. What were you expecting??

Sure, the example you cite of it taking 1.5 hours for the FA to come around to offer a drink sounds a bit odd. Very odd in fact. If it were me I certainly wouldn't have waited that long. I would have been buzzing that buzzer long before that. I want/need my Bloody Mary!!!

As for the security of the cockpit door, I could be wrong about it, but I don't believe that even the FAA specifies protocol for working the cockpit door, that is up to the airlines. I'd even go so far to say as I see nothing wrong with it, I think the domestics have gone a bit overboard with their security procedures.

So, onboard service is not great these days on TACA. I do think it's rediculous that there are no pillows or blankets for some of these overnight flights from the states to Central America. The food is pretty lousy in business class. I totally agree with those points. But from most other perspectives I think TACA is entirely competitive.

You say you could have gotten lounge access at JFK?? That's a new one for me, at least they are offering it. Absolutely nothing at ORD and most other departure points. Even SJO.

They have HOT NUTS now!! Whoo hoo! This was great on my last few flights. Love the hot nuts!! The FA brought me as much as I desired. And there were plenty of drinks and polite service from the FA's.

Here's a good reason I think your judgement of TACA might be a bit harsh: on my trip last month ORD-SJO-BOG and return in business class I had fine service on all segments. On the return through SJO we were weather delayed getting into SJO so I missed my ORD connecting flight. In spite of the delay being weather related TACA put me up for two nights (my flight was Friday, no flight SJO-ORD on Sunday) at the Holiday Inn downtown San Jose including all taxis, food, etc. This was totally above and beyond what would have been required and I salute TACA for their treatment of me during the delay.
Just returned from another trip, this time to Europe, went over Continental and back on SAS, all legs were in Coach. Let me tell you I got better food, treatment etc... on both CO & SAS in coach then I did in Biz on Taca. the FAs on both were Constantly going around with Drinks and Snacks. On SAS those in Ecomony Plus werent left alone for more than 20 mins without having being offered something. I couldnt see into the Biz section but can only guess what it was like. I dont know about SAS situation but CO isnt growing $$$ on any trees.

Again even if Only to compare to what it was like during the Run, Taca is just a WN to me. Although I LOVE its flight times , I dont see myself using them in the future, (just as I more or less have left AA for the same reason and went to CO - where Im well over the Plat requirement already and Im a LifeTime Plat on AA). I do miss Avianca and would not hesitate to buy a tkt on them as they were Great.

Last edited by craz; Sep 26, 2005 at 7:49 pm