Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN's Boeing 787 first commercial flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I know, sorry if you thought this was going to have the exact itinerary for the 787's first commercial flight BUT.. I think it's time we start speculating times and routes the first flight might be...
So I'm hoping for SCL-EZE, what do you say?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
We speculating first commercial revenue flight, or first regular ongoing route after short/medium-haul training and familiarization flights? For example, United's first 787 ongoing route is going to be DEN-NRT, but I'm sure there will be DEN-SFO, DEN-IAH, DEN-IAD, DEN-ORD training and crew familiarization revenue flights.

From that perspective, SCL-EZE is a waste of a plane. But SCL-EZE would be a fun cheap early 787 trip to make during those training flights.

For an ongoing route, I'd love to see a nonstop SCL-LAX replacing LA600/601 with that Lima fuel/cargo/pax stop. Or didn't LAN run an occasional SFO-SCL with an A340 at times, which is a waste of a 4-engine TATL/TPAC appropriate craft, but would be a good N.Amer/S.Amer nonstop route.

Also isn't there supposed to be an SCL-SYD route opening up for LAN? A 787 would be the right tool for that job.

I'd just like to be able to take LAN back to the States from MVD with just one connection in SCL and not the Lima hangover. Have family in SFO. So voting for SCL-SFO. Don't think that "LAN Uruguay" is going to fly nonstop to the USA anytime soon, jejeje.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by MarkXS
We speculating first commercial revenue flight, or first regular ongoing route after short/medium-haul training and familiarization flights? For example, United's first 787 ongoing route is going to be DEN-NRT, but I'm sure there will be DEN-SFO, DEN-IAH, DEN-IAD, DEN-ORD training and crew familiarization revenue flights.

From that perspective, SCL-EZE is a waste of a plane. But SCL-EZE would be a fun cheap early 787 trip to make during those training flights.

For an ongoing route, I'd love to see a nonstop SCL-LAX replacing LA600/601 with that Lima fuel/cargo/pax stop. Or didn't LAN run an occasional SFO-SCL with an A340 at times, which is a waste of a 4-engine TATL/TPAC appropriate craft, but would be a good N.Amer/S.Amer nonstop route.

Also isn't there supposed to be an SCL-SYD route opening up for LAN? A 787 would be the right tool for that job.

I'd just like to be able to take LAN back to the States from MVD with just one connection in SCL and not the Lima hangover. Have family in SFO. So voting for SCL-SFO. Don't think that "LAN Uruguay" is going to fly nonstop to the USA anytime soon, jejeje.
I think your dreams of not stopping in LIM are not going to come true at all in the near future.

My bet is that the first flights on the 787 will be on 600/601 WITH the stop in LIM.

Personally, I think that LAN's 787 coach is going to be 9 seats abreast, 17" width (like UA's and unlike JL/ANA's)...so I am not really looking forward to it anymore.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I think your dreams of not stopping in LIM are not going to come true at all in the near future.

My bet is that the first flights on the 787 will be on 600/601 WITH the stop in LIM.

Personally, I think that LAN's 787 coach is going to be 9 seats abreast, 17" width (like UA's and unlike JL/ANA's)...so I am not really looking forward to it anymore.
My bet is that they're going to fly SCL/EZE/SCL/EZE/SCL/EZE/SCL/EZE for crews to get used to them.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:22 am

When will we be able to book the B787 flights?

I will be flying EZE-SCL return in Feb next year, hopefully I can go on one of their dreamliners.

Thank you.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:27 pm

LAN on 25AUG12 has loaded Boeing 787 flights and opens reservation. The obvious routes are: SCL - LIM and SCL - EZE.

For the moment only flights between 01NOV12 and 31DEC12 are loaded, however this may be brought forward as 1st 787 for LAN reportedly is set for 31AUG12 delivery.

http://airlineroute.net/2012/08/25/la-787/
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Yes --- I can see the flights and they are loaded with a seat map of 2-3-2 in economy NOT 3-3-3 as reported earlier. So which is it???

MY guess is this is a Seat Guru foul-up. I am sure they will take many many months to load the 787 seat maps. I don't know why Expert Flyer as a paid service can't use a better source for seat maps. Seat Guru is a sad joke.

Last edited by phlashba; Aug 28, 2012 at 8:00 am Reason: add'l comment
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phlashba
Yes --- I can see the flights and they are loaded with a seat map of 2-3-2 in economy NOT 3-3-3 as reported earlier. So which is it???

MY guess is this is a Seat Guru foul-up. I am sure they will take many many months to load the 787 seat maps. I don't know why Expert Flyer as a paid service can't use a better source for seat maps. Seat Guru is a sad joke.
It is 3-3-3. The seatmaps are currently 2-3-2 so that there will not be any issues with aircraft swaps (and everyone with an A and C seat will always retain their aisle/window, etc.) I'm sure there will be some route and schedule tweaking in the early days.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Marco Polo, Virgin Flying Club, Etihad Guest & Silver BA Executive Club
Deleted

Last edited by g.yau; Aug 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm Reason: Deleted and inserted in different thread
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:33 pm

LA is using 767 seat map for 787.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:11 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

ExpertFlyer does not use SeatGuru for the layout or the availability of cabins/seats in our seat maps. That information comes directly from the airline reservation systems. As noted the issue is:

Originally Posted by jimyvr
LA is using 767 seat map for 787.
SeatGuru data is only used for seat ratings information. If you find an issue with the accuracy of the SG ratings data, please send them feed back to email us and we will forward to SG.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
ExpertFlyer does not use SeatGuru for the layout or the availability of cabins/seats in our seat maps. That information comes directly from the airline reservation systems. As noted the issue is:

SeatGuru data is only used for seat ratings information. If you find an issue with the accuracy of the SG ratings data, please send them feed back to email us and we will forward to SG.
I didn't check Seat Guru nor EF. All info I'm seeing is from GDS, which currently uses 767 seat map for 787. Same with JAL a year ago.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimyvr
I didn't check Seat Guru nor EF. All info I'm seeing is from GDS, which currently uses 767 seat map for 787. Same with JAL a year ago.
Likely to safeguard from aircraft swaps. There should be a minimum of seat assignment disruptions if this occurs, as they tweak the schedules.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:04 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I read yesterday this will be the first 787 commercial flight. However I couldn't find any reliable source. Now I read it will be "one of the firsts". Anyway I can't wait to see that plane (one more reason to go back to LA )

First 787 flights
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:44 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
It seems the LIM-LAX (or SCL-LIM-LAX) will be the first ^

LAN receives first 787; to start Lima-LAX flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.