The Consolidated "Restaurant and bar reviews/recommendations/questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Restaurant and bar reviews/recommendations/questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I thoroughly enjoyed Picasso at the Bellagio.
Wish we had tried this when we stayed at the Bellagio as we'd heard it was really good. It's seemed so popular, however, that there was a huge line to get in for lunch! Will try next time though...
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:47 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I thoroughly enjoyed Picasso at the Bellagio.
I second this and would like to add that Picasso is the best meal I've ever had in Las Vegas Aureole was nice too.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:43 am

I would disagree, respectfully, with DelMonico.
I have had much better steaks at much better prices. My medium rib eye was still mooing when it came to my table. The desserts were also uninspired and I found the room far too noisy for fine dining.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
We really liked Rum Jungle at Mandalay Bay.

For off-strip dining has anyone else tried Viaggio in Henderson? They've got great food and a REALLY nice wine list! (They also have a location in Reno)
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Jasmine at the Bellagio is my favorite. Delicious Cantonese food in a beautiful setting. Request a table in the front facing the fountains.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
I would disagree, respectfully, with DelMonico.
I have had much better steaks at much better prices. My medium rib eye was still mooing when it came to my table. The desserts were also uninspired and I found the room far too noisy for fine dining.
Well yes, steak is quite subjective, and one is certainly spoiled for choice in this area in Vegas. Regarding a medium steak, however, a lot of the these steakhouses seem to have trouble cooking a steak past medium rare. It seems like it's usually either rare or burnt, and I've been told it's because they use high temperature ovens that cook the outside quickly while keeping the inside moist and rare. Not sure if this is the case with Delmonico's.

On that note, which steakhouses in Vegas would you recommend?
Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
On that note, which steakhouses in Vegas would you recommend?
Good points. Delmonico was actually the only steakhouse I have been to of late. I went to Nero's at Caesars years ago and remember it as a good meal, but it's probably not a fair comparison.

I'm not sure I would choose one of the big steakhouses in Vegas. There are so many more offerings these days. I've had very good meals at Mon Ami Gabi (despite very slow service) and Commander's Palace. I also think Bradley Ogden's restaurant is excellent, except for the limited wine list.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:56 am

I'll have to try those restaurants the next time I'm in town!

With regards to steakhouses, I've heard Charlie Palmer is quite good, the Palm has the name, and Smith & Wollensky is supposedly an experience all onto itself, but have not tried any of these in their Vegas locales. Anyone else have any suggestions/opinions for steak in Las Vegas?
Old Oct 6, 2004, 8:12 am

Programs: AW, UA, AA, SW
Well, dining in Vegas is definitely an experience. There are more options than you can shake the proverbial stick at, and we've tried them all over the years. I have a few ideas for nicer places that we enjoy.....

First and foremost I have to recommend Del Frisco's. From the service, to the food, this is by far the best steakhouse I have ever been to - Not to mention the VIP martini's . Being from Chicago we have some of the best; Morton's, Gibson's, and Ruth's Chris just to name a few. This place goes above and beyond, and I'm sure you'd enjoy it. The steaks are the best I've ever had, the smallest lobster tail available is 18oz, and the trio shrimp appetizer has shrimp that are bigger than most places lobster tails. It's not cheap, but sure to impress...

http://www.delfriscos.com/lasvegas/

Gallagher's at NYNY is another of our favorites. Try the crab legs!!! Two pounds of Alaskan king crab (there's a one pound offering too ), already split for you - UNBELIEVEABLE!!!! Ask for the roasted garlic with your dinner. It's not on the menu, but it's incredible. Top - notch steaks and veal. This place is small, so you'll need reservations. We like to go early and then head to the Piano Bar at times square - Great Fun!!

If a great brunch is something you may be into, try Zefferino in the Venetian - It's excellent and a bit cheaper than Bally's Sterling.

The other's that have been mentioned are great ideas as well; I just wanted to chime in with our faves!! Let us know how you enjoyed it!!
Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:33 am
Original Member

When dining at Caesars Palace or Bellagio, you can request a master wine list and get access to the complete cellar of the hotel in any restaurant. (This does not include Forum Shops restaurants.)

Craftsteak (MGM) is the best restaurant in Las Vegas as well as the best steakhouse. There is no close second in my book, although there are many other excellent steakhouses in town. The Kobe beef and the vegetable dishes (as well as excellent service, ask for Jodi or Marvin) are what makes Craftsteak rise above.

Bradley Ogden (Caesars) is the best gourmet room. All the Michael Mina restaurants are also excellent although the seating is cramped at Seablue. Nob Hill (MGM) is a real sleeper.

Shintaro (Bellagio) has the best sushi bar of the resorts.

Diego (MGM) is best Southwestern although I haven't been to Mesa Grill, which just opened at Caesars.

QL
Old Oct 9, 2004, 3:22 am

Sounds like the MGM is a great place for dining! Have walked past it a few times, but have not visited the "new" MGM at all (not since before the big fire in the 80's). Might need to pay a visit the next time I'm in town!

BTW, does everyone agree that the best restaurants in Vegas are in the hotels? Any non-hotel restaurant that might be worth checking out?
Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:18 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Rosemary's

I would agree that the best restaurants in Vegas are probably in the hotels on the strip (Picasso, Prime, Renoir, Craftsteak, Nobu, Ogden's, all the Mina restaurants, etc), but one place off the strip ($20 cab ride) is Rosemary's.

Locally owned and run by a husband/wife team that have trained under Emeril and other great chefs, Rosemary's is every bit as good as a restaurant on the strip but MUCH more reasonable. Prix Fixe runs $40, and on sunday nights, most bottles of wine are half price. Service is excellent and attentive because it is a small place, and I think we were one of the few out-of-towners eating there that night.

I think they recenly opened one up in the Rio, but I'm not sure. The one that is off the strip is WAY out Sahara Ave. Our cab driver got lost trying to find it.

www.rosemarysrestaurant.com

Last edited by Chalky White; Oct 12, 2004 at 7:10 pm
Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Rosemary's continues to be the best restaurant in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, the Rio location has been closed for awhile - the Rio crowd just wasn't into that fine cuisine. Run by a husband & wife team who are charming & incredible cooks. Well worth the taxi ride & I believe on Sundays, all wines are 1/2 price.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 6:47 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I've gotta agree with QL about the Craftsteak at MGM being an excellent choice, among many. Varied menu, good service and atmosphere. And the steaks are perfect!!

bj-21.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:33 am
Original Member

Two restaurants I DON'T recommend that are frequently mentioned are Prime and Aureole. Both are overpriced and suffer from lackluster service (I have been to Prime four times and never had good service). Go to Craftsteak or Bradley Ogden instead.

QL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.