Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Restaurant and bar reviews/recommendations/questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Restaurant and bar reviews/recommendations/questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by kklems
How is Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill? For the most part it seems to get good reviews We are in Vegas for 3 nights and have reservations at E, Gordon Ramsay Steak and Mesa Grill. Wondering if I should sub out Mesa Grill for another spot. Looked at Robuchon but $400 pp and up was a bit more than I wanted to spend. What do people like better Michael Mina or Mesa Grill?
I haven't been to Mesa Grill in years, but for good reason as the food was lackluster and service awful. Michael Mina isn't as good as it once was, but has exceptional signature dishes and definitely still one of my preferred spots in Vegas.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gengar
I haven't been to Mesa Grill in years, but for good reason as the food was lackluster and service awful. Michael Mina isn't as good as it once was, but has exceptional signature dishes and definitely still one of my preferred spots in Vegas.
Thanks everyone for the reports. Maybe I will keep looking for another spot. Read a fair amount of Yelp reviews which seemed to favor the place. (at least for a celebrity restaurant) I guess the huge amount of available times on opentable should have been a clue.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by kklems
Thanks everyone for the reports. Maybe I will keep looking for another spot. Read a fair amount of Yelp reviews which seemed to favor the place. (at least for a celebrity restaurant) I guess the huge amount of available times on opentable should have been a clue.
Available tables doesn't necessarily mean bad - some of these Vegas restaurants are really big, capacity wise. And many do lots of walk-in business- not everyone reserves.

Another thing to be careful of is, when considering places that serve moderate to strongly spiced food, a lot of Vegas diners have unadventureous palates - they may go in expecting sweet BBQ sauce on everything.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Chef Pierre Gagnaire will be cooking at his Mandarin Oriental Hotel restaurant Twist from June 21 to June 25.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Chef Pierre Gagnaire will be cooking at his Mandarin Oriental Hotel restaurant Twist from June 21 to June 25.
Ugh! I check out on the 21st. I've been hoping to catch him in house one of these trips.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Ok back from
Vegas:
First night e by Andrés. Awesome,
Very enjoyable experience and the food was really good. Loved all but a couple
Of dishes. The only annoying thing was two of the random table members had bet on the GS bb game and were heming and hawing about going back at 830
But the server that handles
The drinks promptly took care of it. (Not the restaurants fault and they handled
It well. Maybe a Vegas only issues)

Second night we were staying at LV Ren and I found a living social deal for Envy steakhouse so we are there. Not very impressed. Spinach salad was over dressed and my MR steak was more like blue rare. The server promptly took it back and it came out MR but to me it is inexcusable for a house to not properly cook a steak. My wife's filet was cooked correctly. For sides we got the wild mushrooms and the lobster mac n chesese. Neither were anything special. Place was dead (3 tables) but the service team was very good.

Last night we decided to try Joel Robochon. We went back and forth pre-dinner about the full tasting menu versus a partial but in end we went with the full. While all the dishes were good only a co,uple were really extraordinary. The beef course was some of the best beef I have ever tasted (and I live in the Midwest- beef country). I was
Most disappointed in seafood course. I had read so many positive reviews of the langoustine ravioli and it was just ok. Both preparations of the cod had a bit of fishy taste to them. (Fish that is less than fresh off the boat). Service 5/5, food 4/5 value 3/5. I have not eaten a 3* Michelin restaurant before so I don't have anything to compare it to. Definetly an experience I would not do again in LV. Kind of a once in a lifetime.

One other minor complaint was when I was seated they asked if we wanted still or sparkling water. I said still (I know sparkling would incur a cost). They brought another bottle during the meal. On my tab there was a charge for two bottles of water at $10 each. (All the tables had bottles on them as well)Seems to me when you order a $445 tasting menu a couple bottles of water would be reasonable(if nothing else to clear the palate between courses). Just get like I was being gouged.

An interesting fact from the e chefs was that he said Michelin is no longer giving stars for LV restaurants and they are planning to start doing regions versus cities. The chefs were very open about happenings, future plans, like and dislikes of other LV spots.

I would go back to e by Andrés in a heartbeat to try a new menu. Envy not so much and Robochon was a one time deal but a pleasant experience ( and
I keep thinking about that beef yummmmmy).

Forgive any typos as I am posting from
My phone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.