Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW: KLM Economy Comfort!

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 5:07 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Cabin divider

In this trip report there is a picture of the divider that separated EC from E.

Old May 6, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Gajan
In this trip report there is a picture of the divider that separated EC from E.

First thing that comes to mind is.....'is this a joke'? Those this divider really work for people not walk up front or give EC people a more private feel...I would think not.
Old May 6, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
First thing that comes to mind is.....'is this a joke'? Those this divider really work for people not walk up front or give EC people a more private feel...I would think not.
Not sure why you would need a more private feel - EC is about seats (more legspace, more pitch) - not about creating a separate cabin.

On two recent flights when there were a lot of empty seats, the purser announced that people could only move to EC if they paid an extra amount (which both times was the amount when booked online ahead of time). FAs were also sending a person back when he still tried move up without paying."

So the divider together with FAs monitoring does seem to do the trick.
Old May 6, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by NB00
Not sure why you would need a more private feel - EC is about seats (more legspace, more pitch) - not about creating a separate cabin.

On two recent flights when there were a lot of empty seats, the purser announced that people could only move to EC if they paid an extra amount (which both times was the amount when booked online ahead of time). FAs were also sending a person back when he still tried move up without paying."

It is a different seat, nothing more. That said, there is a huge difference between the B744 and the M11, the B744 has a separate cabin and the M11 indeed has such dividers only. That and the different headrest covers are the only visible difference. The increased seat pitch is different but not really visible.
Old May 6, 2012, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NB00

Which is KLM's impression as well.

An unobtrusive barrier like this looks to have done the trick.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

From the TA website:

Aanpassing beleid Economy comfort

Met ingang van 4 maart 2013 past KLM haar beleid aan ten aanzien van Economy Comfort voor passagiers reizend in de Y, B of M boekingsklasse. Voor passagiers reizend met een ticket in deze boekingsklassen biedt KLM de Economy Comfort stoel niet langer kosteloos aan.

KLM wil met deze aanpassing de privileges van Economy Comfort uitsluitend aanbieden aan Elitedeelnemers van het Flying Blue programma. Klanten die al een boeking hebben gemaakt vóór 4 maart 2013 en reizen op of na deze datum behouden het recht op een gratis Economy Comfort stoel.

De verandering in beleid geldt voor verkoop vanaf 4 maart 2013.
Een Economy Comfort stoel kan gekocht worden met Flying Blue Miles (alleen via KLM.NL en het persoonlijke FB-account van uw klant) of tegen betaling in euro's. De volgende tarieven worden gehanteerd:

• Intercontinentale vluchten: 15,000 tot 25,000 Flying Blue Miles of 60 tot 160 euro
• Europese vluchten: 5,000 tot 7,500 Flying Blue Miles of 20 tot 30 euro

Voordelen van het Flying Blue programma:
  • Platinum-deelnemers kunnen kosteloos een zitplaats reserveren in de Economy Comfort-zone.
  • Gold-deelnemers ontvangen 50% korting op de prijs van een zitplaats in de Economy Comfortzone.
  • Silver-deelnemers ontvangen 25% korting.
*Dit kan alleen via KLM.NL
Only free for Platinum elite members from 4 March 2013; full-fare passengers are no longer exempted.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:28 am

I wonder about Delta Platinums. Has been free for us.

From the TA website:

Only free for Platinum elite members from 4 March 2013; full-fare passengers are no longer exempted.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I wonder about Delta Platinums. Has been free for us.
I think that they should be safe (as this is a joint benefit). Pulling the plug from side would lead to pulling the plug on the other side as well.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold STE+
From the TA website:

I hope this is the beginning of improving the FB program for elites
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Rolandvdk
I hope this is the beginning of improving the FB program for elites
I do not think the rationale behind this change is to improve the situation of FB elites. Rather, it's a cold blooded move to raise ancillary revenue. I guess that anyone who buys Y, B, and M fares on KL might be also be willing to pay for EC, or at least KL believes so...

To large extent this move also falls in line with the choice and control strategy of unbundling and pricing everything.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:40 pm

It has always been spotty - sometimes free, sometimes not.

I just made a booking to test and the website wanted to sell me the EC seats for half off. It didn't tell me it was half off, but I opened another browser without my Skymiles number and the price was twice as high. So, it recognized my Skymiles number, but gave me half off instead of 100% off.

The Delta website still claims it is free on KLM for Delta Platinums and Diamonds: http://bit.ly/XJFq3b

I think that they should be safe (as this is a joint benefit). Pulling the plug from side would lead to pulling the plug on the other side as well.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
KLM system doesn't seem to recognize us as DL Plat or higher (probally sees us as general Skyteam Elite+).
As a DL SM PM/DM you have to call KLM, explain the situation and ask if they place you manually in a EC seat or pay and ask for your money back after the flight(s)

Last edited by Grouchy; Mar 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:51 pm

Is anyone aware of a situation where a DL Plat or Diamond paid KLM money for an Economy Comfort seat and received a refund?

Originally Posted by Grouchy
KLM system doesn't seem to recognize us as DL Plat or higher (probally sees us as general Skyteam Elite+).
As a DL SM PM/DM you have to call KLM, explain the situation and ask if they place you manually in a EC seat or pay and ask for your money back after the flight(s)
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Ask for and get the refund several times each year for EC or EER seats on KLM flights as a DL PM

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Is anyone aware of a situation where a DL Plat or Diamond paid KLM money for an Economy Comfort seat and received a refund?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:08 am

That's good to know.

How do you ask for the refund - i.e., to which email address or phone number?

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Ask for and get the refund several times each year for EC or EER seats on KLM flights as a DL PM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.