Wiki Posts
Search

SkyPriority companions not allowed in AMS priority security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Gold, Hertz 5*, GE/NEXUS
SkyPriority companions not allowed in AMS priority security

My significant other and I are flying AMS-CDG today with hand luggage. We went to the SkyPriority check-in area and were asked whether we had bags to check. When I said no, the agent said, "Then we can't let you into the SkyPriority security line. Schiphol has changed the rules from today, and only the SkyPriority member is allowed into the priority line."

Just for the hell of it, we tried to enter the line of it and were told that "companions have never been allowed in this line." Umm, no - we traveled together two weeks ago and six weeks ago and used the priority line without any problems.

Every time you think Schiphol can't possibly get any worse, they find ways to prove you wrong. 🤯

KLM's lounges are mediocre at best, priority bags are rarely delivered first (even in AMS/CDG!), and now we can't consistently use priority security - so what's the point of Flying Blue status?
​​​​
KLBGO and edefran like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:25 am

Companions have never officially been allowed to use Priority airport services. KLM does routinely allow them to use the priority check-in desks.

When the airport is not in meltdown mode they do (or at least, did) allow companions to use priority security but that was never a stated benefit.

The point of FB status is that you may use those services. Your companion does not have that status so that question is frankly a little strange.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Gold, Hertz 5*, GE/NEXUS
Originally Posted by CyBeR
The point of FB status is that you may use those services. Your companion does not have that status so that question is frankly a little strange.
Most other airlines allow their status members the same airport benefits when they travel together. And no, I can't use the benefits when traveling with my significant other if she can't​​​​​. Your lack of understanding of this point is frankly a little strange.

Last edited by Hornet1455; Jul 7, 2022 at 7:50 am
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Hornet1455
Most other airlines allow their status members the same airport benefits when they travel together. And no, I can't use the benefits when traveling with my significant other if she can't​​​​​. Your lack of understanding of this point is frankly a little strange.
I am aware that some airlines do this, but I doubt it's most. Regardless, KLM has in the past allowed this but at this point there are simply too many people to do it and the priority experience for those that did earn those benefits would be negatively affected.

Your wife can use the SP lane by purchasing a ticket that includes SP, be it in a premium cabin or when flying KLM using the Flex option in Y. You can then use your benefits like normal.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hornet1455
And no, I can't use the benefits when traveling with my significant other if she can't​​​​​.
Well, technically you can.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Your wife can use the SP lane by purchasing a ticket that includes SP, be it in a premium cabin or when flying KLM using the Flex option in Y.
So the companion will be on a separate PNR? That will be great for IROPs and the like. Get real.

Travellers are loyal to an airline/alliance because of the conveniences afforded when travelling. With this, KLM/Schiphol are inconveniencing the travel process.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by edefran

Travellers are loyal to an airline/alliance because of the conveniences afforded when travelling. With this, KLM/Schiphol are inconveniencing the travel process.
Or are loyal because their employer forces them to .

I agree with what you're saying and the circumstances are not helping as well. The best that we can do is to just hope that this won't happen again and in the mean time, people should transit through AMS instead of starting at AMS.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
So the companion will be on a separate PNR? That will be great for IROPs and the like. Get real.

Then become loyal to Delta or whoever offered SP extension.

This has never been a feature of KLM, FB or AMS. It only worked because Schiphol decided not to enforce access to priority lanes in the past.
And it was not "starting today" either.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I do see it as a benefit to solo-travelling SP passengers because this will reduce the number of passengers in the SP line.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
I do see it as a benefit to solo-travelling SP passengers because this will reduce the number of passengers in the SP line.
The fewer people in the priority line, the better. Not only when the airport is in crisis mode, but always.

A selfish perspective, but there you have it. There are too many pax with priority status to begin with.

Johan
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:17 am

If OP is worried about that, OP can buy the flex option himself as well.

I hold the opposite view that I am being convenienced by non-status pax being rejected from priority lines as they make those lines faster for me.

They are of course quite welcome to join again once things quiet down.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I agree with the OP that this is a grave inconvenience for passengers travelling together. Especially families (Plat parent who is now forced to stand in the hour long queue with the kids won’t be happy for example). Also for Silver/Elite members who now apparently are being denied entry to the priority security line, this will be an unwelcome surprise. KL has set sort of a precedent that entry to the Skyprio check-in equals priority security, so frequent AMS flyers naturally are accustomed to this. My guess is it’s Schiphol who’s doubling down on the eligibility checks.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
My guess is it’s Schiphol who’s doubling down on the eligibility checks.
Absolutely. It's a Schiphol employee (or contractor, who knows these days) doing the eligibility check. And it protects their Privium product.

Keep in mind also that Schiphol requires that carrier's priority pax be under 15% of their total, and they provision lanes and personnel based on that number. It is up to the airlines to decide who are able to use the priority lanes, so KLM *could* enable that for companions by coding and printing SkyPriority on their boarding passes, however there is no way KLM would stay under the maximum allowed 15% of pax if they did that.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Originally Posted by mfkne
Well, technically you can.
Are you single? or do you just enjoy sleeping on the couch?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I agree with the OP that this is a grave inconvenience for passengers travelling together. Especially families (Plat parent who is now forced to stand in the hour long queue with the kids won’t be happy for example). Also for Silver/Elite members who now apparently are being denied entry to the priority security line, this will be an unwelcome surprise. KL has set sort of a precedent that entry to the Skyprio check-in equals priority security, so frequent AMS flyers naturally are accustomed to this. My guess is it’s Schiphol who’s doubling down on the eligibility checks.
Silver elites are also accustomed to not having priority security at outstations.

You can't abuse the privilege you know you're not supposed to get for years, and then be all surprised pikachu when suddenly you don't get it any more.

reference picture, KLM elite being told they will not be getting something they should not be getting

Originally Posted by AS MHT
Are you single? or do you just enjoy sleeping on the couch?
Well, technically you can. Also while I understand most partners will prefer to suffer together, I for one would have no issue sending my partner ahead in prio lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.