Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyPriority companions not allowed in AMS priority security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not enough by any measure. As far as I'm concerned that sludge is undrinkable, regardless of which way you spell it.

Johan
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR
They don't (currently, to my knowledge) do any more access control than 'is this bp valid', but they are most certainly capable of and almost certainly do count how many pax go through them. And they know which gate is assigned to priority lanes and which isn't.
What do you mean by "assigned to priority lanes"? Any boarding pass will work at any scanner as far as I know. I wonder if a non-same-day boarding pass would still work?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:06 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Interesting you should say that. I'm finding coffee in Sweden unusually good.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by erik123
What do you mean by "assigned to priority lanes"? Any boarding pass will work at any scanner as far as I know. I wonder if a non-same-day boarding pass would still work?
It used to be like that but I believe it isn't any more. In any case there is a document a bit upstream that describes how to encode priority access on a BP. At that point all Schiphol has to do is keep archive of BPs scanned, which they probably have to do anyway, and run data analysis on it.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:27 am

They know where the gates are. And what gates are only accessible to pax who have been checked (manually by a person) and are about to enter the priority line. By the way the entrance to the security area outside the SkyPriority check-in area has been converted to regular economy and privium only -- they removed the premium gates there.

It's possible they also enabled the check to see if the passenger is actually a premium passenger in the gates but I doubt this as this would make the manual check unnecessary.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
A typical short haul flight has 4 rows of business (16 pax). Then it has 150 economy pax. Out of those, I'm guessing, 5% may be elite and 5% on Flex tickets. That means 31 priority pax out of the 25 allowed with that 15% rule.
Well, I don't think the 15% is rigidly applied "per flight".

And remember that half of KLM's customers are transferring, but your calculations above appear to assume they all originate at AMS and must pass through security there.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Try using a Ryanair boarding pass at the Skypriority access gate then
b12e likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Try using a Ryanair boarding pass at the Skypriority access gate then
It'd be a good way of testing it.

If anyone who has Privium and willing to fly FR (or just buys the cheapest ticket they sell from AMS without intention to fly them..) could just try to scan their RYR boarding pass.... That way any manual check would allow you to pass, and in case the BP scanner says "no", it's not that awkward as you can go through the Privium gate instead.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Have you considered, that since there is a shortage of security personnel at AMS, the reason that priority security is, unlike non-priority, not worse than it used to be, exactly because there is now a much stricter separation between prio and non-prio pax?
Again, I have not experienced any issues in the past couple of weeks, before last wednesday when they implemented this "stricter seperation".

So yes, my opinion is that Schiphol should focus on getting those security lines moving, instead of putting extra staff on all kinds of new useless checkpoints.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:17 am

I disagree because here's what would happen if they didn't stop companions (without status of course) from using the priority lines: someone would figure out that you can simply buy a KL flex ticket for a little extra € which lets you and everyone with you use the priority line which is *much* shorter than the regular line. Groups and families that would otherwise not have access travelling together would have one person buy their ticket on a separate PNR (something real people don't care about) with flex, the rest would get light fares, and once at the airport they'd all come through the SP check-in, the one with SP goes "they're with me" and they all walk up the stairs to clog the priority security line. This information would quickly get out because people can't help themselves and would post their amazing travel life hack on twitter, instagram and facebook, and before you know it most of the passengers at the airport are using this scheme and tadaa we're all stuck in a giant line behind people who have no business being there and, not being frequent travellers, are inexperienced and holding up the line even more.

Oh, and this of course is all in addition to people like the ones I kicked out of the SP check-in line yesterday who thought that they might be skypriority even though they weren't in a premium cabin and fly once a year, and there were multiple such groups.

Last edited by CyBeR; Jul 10, 2022 at 8:17 am
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: KL Plat
I disagree because here's what would happen if they didn't stop companions (without status of course) from using the priority lines: someone would figure out that you can simply buy a KL flex ticket for a little extra € which lets you and everyone with you use the priority line which is *much* shorter than the regular line. Groups and families that would otherwise not have access travelling together would have one person buy their ticket on a separate PNR (something real people don't care about) with flex, the rest would get light fares, and once at the airport they'd all come through the SP check-in, the one with SP goes "they're with me" and they all walk up the stairs to clog the priority security line. This information would quickly get out because people can't help themselves and would post their amazing travel life hack on twitter, instagram and facebook, and before you know it most of the passengers at the airport are using this scheme and before you know it we're all stuck in a giant line behind people who have no business being there and, not being frequent travellers, are inexperienced and holding up the line even more.

Oh, and this of course is all in addition to people like the ones I kicked out of the SP check-in line yesterday who thought that they might be skypriority even though they weren't in a premium cabin and fly once a year, and there were multiple such groups.
That most certainly shouldn't be allowed. The grey-ish are is pax with status and companion(s) travelling together, where staying together would be nice, but not an official Skyteam privelege in terms of priority security.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:33 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Interesting details, thanks.
It is not per flight, no. So a very elite-heavy flight primarily used by business flyers is compensated for by a flight to a holiday destination with relatively few elites.
The Schiphol page explains that these percentages are per airline. However how do you define 'an airline'? If KLM would include Transavia flights (Which, from what I understand, is basically a sub-brand of KLM)... then the average percentages would change quite dramatically as HV has zero premium passengers.

One thing I don't understand though, is that some airlines are actually not offering priority - even for their Elites or Business pax. If this service does not require a surcharge compared to regular non-prio pax, then why would any airline exclude themselves? I remember a few years ago when the priority security entrance was still manned, that they had a laminated page with logo's of Airlines and FFP's for the employee to be able to recognise which premium pax would be allowed, and which ones would not.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)

One thing I don't understand though, is that some airlines are actually not offering priority - even for their Elites or Business pax. If this service does not require a surcharge compared to regular non-prio pax, then why would any airline exclude themselves? I remember a few years ago when the priority security entrance was still manned, that they had a laminated page with logo's of Airlines and FFP's for the employee to be able to recognise which premium pax would be allowed, and which ones would not.
consistency, maybe? We know AFKL aren't offering consistency in any way, but as an airline not paying extra, it's probably easier to not offer it anywhere, even when at some outstations it may be free to offer it anyway.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:01 am

Interesting details, thanks.
The Schiphol page explains that these percentages are per airline. However how do you define 'an airline'? If KLM would include Transavia flights (Which, from what I understand, is basically a sub-brand of KLM)... then the average percentages would change quite dramatically as HV has zero premium passengers.
Presumably it's by AOC or whatever other distinction they make between airlines for contractual purposes. Otherwise, AF would be included too.

Seeing as how the signage above the entrance also says "first and business class" and the scanners don't seem to enforce the use of "fast track" coding in the bp, I expect "not offering" priority for J/F is actually not a thing airlines can technically do since any access control is at this time done by a person checking the boarding pass for markings and they would likely let you in if you present a boarding pass that says 'BUSINESS/FIRST CLASS' like they tend to do. They can of course choose not to tell their passengers about it. Once Schiphol decides to start enforcing the coding on the BP that's a different matter; then if they don't offer it the passenger will be refused by the gate.

I guess it's also possible that outside of the documents airlines made specific agreements to not use priority lanes to reduce their fees (which I'm sure EasyJet and Ryanair would be the primary suspects for having done such a thing.)
Xandrios likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Interesting you should say that. I'm finding coffee in Sweden unusually good.
I just don't drink the stuff. Not in Sweden, nor anywhere else. Tastes like sludge to me. YMMV.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.