Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyPriority companions not allowed in AMS priority security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Back when there was still a dedicated Privium security line, and KLM did not have its own escalator to security (In fact, security was on the same floor as check in is/was), the Priority Security line was always controlled by a schiphol employee. And they would not allow people not traveling in C, or holding SkyPriority or Elite status. Family members would sometimes be allowed if not too crowded, but they would also regularly deny access to travel companions who did not officially qualify.

This was actually only about 3-4 years or so ago. The current security setup on the mezzanine level is still fairly new.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Back when there was still a dedicated Privium security line, and KLM did not have its own escalator to security (In fact, security was on the same floor as check in is/was), the Priority Security line was always controlled by a schiphol employee. And they would not allow people not traveling in C, or holding SkyPriority or Elite status. Family members would sometimes be allowed if not too crowded, but they would also regularly deny access to travel companions who did not officially qualify.

This was actually only about 3-4 years or so ago. The current security setup on the mezzanine level is still fairly new.
Indeed the new security setup barely predates Covid. Schengen security was behind checkin rows 1-8 where currently temporarily disused stairs to zone 1 are. The elevator in SP zone was back then only for NS departures, as was whole security zone 2.
That was the main point of having the door to leave SP zone at the back - so that you could walk the 10 or so meters to Departures 1 priority security.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AS MHT
Are you single? or do you just enjoy sleeping on the couch?
Well, if not taking the SO into the priority lane leads to a break-up, then the original problem is solved, no?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The fewer people in the priority line, the better. Not only when the airport is in crisis mode, but always.

A selfish perspective, but there you have it. There are too many pax with priority status to begin with.

Johan
YES absolutely agree with you. Sky Priority is getting more and more crowded, which penalizes those of us who purchase premium cabin tickets.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:16 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Companions have never officially been allowed to use Priority airport services. KLM does routinely allow them to use the priority check-in desks.

When the airport is not in meltdown mode they do (or at least, did) allow companions to use priority security but that was never a stated benefit.

The point of FB status is that you may use those services. Your companion does not have that status so that question is frankly a little strange.
FB has always been the outlier here. There’s no point in having priority check-in if you cannot use it with a companion. The point of status is to increase loyalty. This policy doesn’t encourage booking with KLM and does the opposite.
GUWonder, rjburns, roelb and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
FB has always been the outlier here. There’s no point in having priority check-in if you cannot use it with a companion. The point of status is to increase loyalty. This policy doesn’t encourage booking with KLM and does the opposite.
If you book Delta can your companion go with you in the priority line?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Yes and they get seated together in Comfort Plus.
GUWonder and danielflyer like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Hornet1455
Most other airlines allow their status members the same airport benefits when they travel together. And no, I can't use the benefits when traveling with my significant other if she can't​​​​​. Your lack of understanding of this point is frankly a little strange.

My spouse and I routinely go through different security lines.

You’re assumption it only your way is acceptable is frankly a little strange
Sjoerd, FlyingCow and etiene like this.

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Jul 7, 2022 at 8:54 pm
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
If the status of your relationship hinges on which security line you can get your spouse through at the airport, then the loyalty that should most concern you probably isn’t that between you and the airline.

Last edited by etiene; Jul 8, 2022 at 2:21 am Reason: grammar
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
My spouse and I routinely go through different security lines.

You’re assumption it only your way is acceptable is frankly a little strange
Why would you? I don't see any advantage to splitting up.
GUWonder, mpkz, lynxy and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by Hornet1455
Most other airlines allow their status members the same airport benefits when they travel together. And no, I can't use the benefits when traveling with my significant other if she can't​​​​​. Your lack of understanding of this point is frankly a little strange.

and the gloves are off...and frankly, which is a little strange...settle down.....
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I repeat myself here, but ..

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry

Then become loyal to Delta or whoever offered SP extension.

This has never been a feature of KLM, FB or AMS. It only worked because Schiphol decided not to enforce access to priority lanes in the past.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
I compleltely agree with @Sleepy_Sentry here. Of course I expect my travel companions to be able to accompany me through priority security. I have never understood why KLM just doesn't do this by default, just as Delta does. Fortunately, it has never been an issue in the past.

What's the point of being loyal to an airline if they don't grant you this small privilege? Do they now expect there top-elites to stand in-line for hours when they travel for leisure with their SO or kids and possibly miss their flight? Have they gone completely mad? What's next? Calling the platinum line just to be told that they can only change the ticket of the Plat pax on a single PNR, and you'll have to connect to a non-elite agent to process a change for the other passengers?

Fortunately, my SO get's her SkyPriority beneifts all on her own nowadays, so we are not impacted. But I don't think I would have ever become loyal to both DL an KL if we wouldn't have been able to use this benefit in the past.

I also don't see any reason to do this. Have been to AMS at the busiest times, but never have had any issue at the Skypriority security in departures 2. There are no crowding issues there. The only issue I have ever experienced that leaded to more waiting time was security staff letting people from the regular line into the first two screening lines to move that line faster, at the expense of the priority passengers.
Hornet1455, mpkz, adancau and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
And, as a compromise probably nobody here will really want, what about extending SP security to a companion only if they are booked on the same PNR as you. If you happen to be travelling with a colleague, or other friends who happen to be on the same flight, even connecting onto the same flight later, but they have their own separately booked ticket, then they don't get SP security. Only fair compromise I can think of, but if you've gone to the effort of booking two people on the same ticket then both you and companion should get it. I only do it once, max twice, year. If colleague, relative, acquaintance is on a separately booked ticket, then tough luck.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: FB Plat
See my recent post in the other thread about the situation for priority passengers at AMS today, and why it is understandable that the airport will want to enforce eligibility
johan rebel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.