FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

FlyingFrZ Jun 18, 2022 10:27 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34346617)
It means fewer than 60,000 departing passengers.

​​​​​​
Oh ok. I guess that's good news for us if the data is actually true

irishguy28 Jun 18, 2022 11:09 am

Originally Posted by siw (Post 34347123)
Yes, I always book directly with airlines and I never use online travel agents.

Before the pandemic, I always shopped around and bought from whichever agent was willing to sell the ticket the cheapest.

Since the pandemic...not so much!!

johan rebel Jun 19, 2022 1:49 am

Transavia has announced that pax with tickets for flights departing from AMS may opt to depart from RTM or EIN instead. For free, as long as the new flight is on the same day and to the same destination.

Johan

CyBeR Jun 19, 2022 3:16 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR (Post 34347197)
My KLM flight for 2 days time was cancelled, and without doing anything 2 hours later I was rebooked onto Lufthansa flights with similar departure and arrival times. I'm impressed to be automatically rebooked outside of AF/KLM, but a little disappointed to not be able to claim the EU261 compensation.

I've been automatically rebooked onto FlyBe the next morning out of LCY but opted to fly KL from LHR the same day instead… where everything was of course a giant mess so I could still collect my EUR 350 voucher. Best of both worlds really.

TEDisgone Jun 19, 2022 8:18 am

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 34345745)
Have a flight coming up on July 7th AMS-MSP (09:45am departure). Unfortunately I can't realistically book other airports as I need to be in Amsterdam and I'm trying to do my best to prepare for the airport security there. Fortunately will be in J, which gets me Skypriority access.

For the night before my flight I'm debating staying at the Schiphol Sheraton right at the airport, the Hilton right at the airport or sticking with our hotel near Centraal station. From what I've read on this thread, might it be better staying downtown and hopping on a train out to Schiphol? Or should I plan on spending the night right at the airport terminal. Thanks in advance.

Nothing beats the ability to just walk across the skybridge from your hotel to the terminal but I have stayed at hotels in Hoofddorp when the Hilton has been too high and I wasn't arriving or departing at extreme hours - then I would stay at the Hilton, no matter the price! There's a brand new InterCity Hotel that has rates going for about €75 per night and seems to be less than a 5 minute walk from the station. The frequent train is only one stop and is (I think) €4. Good luck and please report back!

johan rebel Jun 19, 2022 9:45 am

Originally Posted by TEDisgone (Post 34349383)
Nothing beats the ability to just walk across the skybridge from your hotel to the terminal . . . then I would stay at the Hilton, no matter the price!

The walk to and from the Sheraton is shorter by almost 1 kilometer. You also get the slightly quirky/millennial Citizen M, which should be more affordable than the Hilton or Sheraton. You do need to go outdoors to get there, but the walk is almost entirely under cover.

Johan

Markie Jun 19, 2022 9:47 am

I did the Yotel airside this past week. It's expensive for what you get but I slept well enough - arriving 22:30 and leaving 07:45.
Odd feeling waking up inside the terminal.

Fabo.sk Jun 19, 2022 10:52 am

Originally Posted by HadesNL (Post 34345539)
Swiss (LX) operates from T1A which has its own security filter and from there on is a short walk to the gates.
Problem is getting inside from T1 to T1A as you need to reach the connector while battling the hordes trying to reach checkin/security in T1/T2.

Did they reopen T1A? Last I've seen, LH Group was operating from T1 checkin row like 3.

Flights today show check in 1-3, so unless it's a workday only change, it's still Departures 1. (and frankly, good riddance. If dropped off by car, it was ok-ish, but from train you're looking at a loong walk to T1A to drop off bags, then a loong walk back to either Privium or *A/A26 lounge, then a looong walk to B gates...)

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 34345745)
Have a flight coming up on July 7th AMS-MSP (09:45am departure). Unfortunately I can't realistically book other airports as I need to be in Amsterdam and I'm trying to do my best to prepare for the airport security there. Fortunately will be in J, which gets me Skypriority access.

For the night before my flight I'm debating staying at the Schiphol Sheraton right at the airport, the Hilton right at the airport or sticking with our hotel near Centraal station. From what I've read on this thread, might it be better staying downtown and hopping on a train out to Schiphol? Or should I plan on spending the night right at the airport terminal. Thanks in advance.

Depends on how much you value 30 extra minutes of sleep in the early morning. It's not a problem to arrive at the airport from Centraal by train (every couple of minutes), but on-site hotel means you either can sleep longer, or sleep the same and arrive at the airport before the worst of the morning peak starts.

Originally Posted by HadesNL (Post 34346564)
The Ubers cancelling could be because the impossibility to reach some (binnenstad) streets due to the canals/street works/closure as much traffic is 1 way now (detours) + your taxi needs a special permit to use the tram/bus lane and/or enter seperate construction lanes (a last new trick by our green party)

Uber black / van seems to be reliable but Uber X is shakey unreliable....

I'd always expect that they are cancelling because they know there's almost 0 chance someone will want to ride from the airport to the city at 4:30 in the morning. So they have to return empty.

BubbaX Jun 19, 2022 12:34 pm

Citizen M has a shower in the middle of the room, and a tablet to control everything. But it works. Hoofdorp has options. I'm partial to cheap hotels by Amsterdam Sluiterdijk station -- think Hoofdorp, but towards the city. Yes, you lose maybe 15 minutes vs. the Hilton.
On the other hand, hotels served by a shuttle are not ideal at AMS. Some of those serve five properties and take half an hour. Either go walking distance, or take Hoofdorp/Sluiterdijk.
(Okay, I remember a Mercure once that was served by shuttle and wasn't bad. Just know what you're getting into).

South London Bon Viveur Jun 19, 2022 1:02 pm

If you are price conscious then Hoofdorp, Sloterdijk and Zuid are all perfectly fine locations with very easy access to Schiphol- as others have said, you might lose around 15-20 minutes compared with the Hilton and Sheraton, which is a minor inconvenience, especially as the chances are you will need to leave loads of time anyway for the Schiphol security and passport control circus.

FlyingFrZ Jun 19, 2022 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34343571)
The way things stand, you *will* be staying in Amsterdam!

Meaning you've asked to change your ticket from LAX-LHR-AMS to LAX-LHR (or LAX-LHR-NCE), and they have refused? Rather than asking to short-check your bags, you should be asking to change the destination.
I think BA has already dropped all Covid-related flexibility, but given that your ticket was booked some time ago, and in J, you may have greater flexibility to make changes to your ticket.
The KLM ticket can be cancelled for a refund (KLM and AF are quite generous regarding cancellations now)

So I actually spoke with BA regarding this ticket. To change the destination it was coming out to $10k per person :D

I even asked about moving the AMS flight a day later so I could short check the bags to LHR, and they quoted me a measly $8k per person fare difference. What a steal :p

mb752 Jun 19, 2022 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ (Post 34350079)
So I actually spoke with BA regarding this ticket. To change the destination it was coming out to $10k per person :D

I even asked about moving the AMS flight a day later so I could short check the bags to LHR, and they quoted me a measly $8k per person fare difference. What a steal :p

For what it's worth I've once had a vaguely similar situation a few years ago where I wanted to short-check a bag to LHR. In my case I checked in with AA for my first leg, and they wouldn't do it, but it wasn't any issue at all having the bag pulled at LHR. I just asked at a BA help desk in LHR after deplaning and my bag showed up on one of the belts within half an hour. If you have lots of time between arrival and the first LHR-NCE flight anyway...

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if BA let you short-check it even without an overnight connection, in my experience they are more flexible about that sort of stuff than US carriers.

malmostoso Jun 19, 2022 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34349762)
(and frankly, good riddance. If dropped off by car, it was ok-ish, but from train you're looking at a loong walk to T1A to drop off bags, then a loong walk back to either Privium or *A/A26 lounge, then a looong walk to B gates....)

Amen.

klwjrw Jun 19, 2022 3:24 pm

Given all the issues with Schiphol right now, is it best to check one's luggage or strictly use carry-on? I have a flight in mid-August from AMS to ORD at 11:00 am. Will not get to Schiphol until 8:30 am. From what I am reading, this may not be enough time to check-in and go through security. Flying Business Class with United if that makes any difference.

klwjrw Jun 19, 2022 3:56 pm

Does anyone know if it is best to check luggage or use carry-on luggage for flights from Amsterdam to the US? We are flying Business Class with United in mid-August from AMS to ORD. The flight is at 11:00 am and we will not be able to be at Schiphol before 8:30 am. From what I have been reading about this airport, I have concerns that we will not make our flight and want to try everything possible to expedite our way through the airport. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.