FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

atflyer Jun 12, 22 8:02 am

Originally Posted by AnaTFN (Post 34328656)
Part of this could be as you say, human nature. But I also think having to stand several hours is a major factor. A person that is able to go through regular check in and security before this mess might realistically need assistance when confronted with the long standing times that are now needed at peak times.

Good point. I had my leg broken 3.5 months ago and after 2 months I was able to walk relatively normal again without crutches, but since in the accident I also had my foot out of its joint which severely affected the bonds, long standing was a no-go due to swelling etc. and I needed to rest the foot on a chair every now and then. In that period say 30-45 min of walking/standing a kind of worked, but if I would have to face a queue of > 1 hour I certainly would have to have asked for assistance.

johan rebel Jun 12, 22 8:04 am

Originally Posted by AnaTFN (Post 34328656)
Part of this could be as you say, human nature. But I also think having to stand several hours is a major factor. A person that is able to go through regular check in and security before this mess might realistically need assistance when confronted with the long standing times that are now needed at peak times.

Hadn't thought of that, but that's of course a factor. I have an elderly aunt with knee issues in exactly that position. I recall arranging for her and the rest of our party to board first along with the obviously decrepit, which drew plenty of nasty looks and even the odd angry comment from the J pax lined up at the gate. Those same pax then had to share the cabin with us for 11 hours, giving us plenty of time to beam at them.

Johan

johan rebel Jun 12, 22 8:08 am

In more good news for AMS flyers, starting tomorrow the Dutch railways will run fewer Intercity trains between the airport and Rotterdam and Arnhem. The reason? You guessed it . . . . they are short of staff!

Johan

AnaTFN Jun 12, 22 8:57 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34328831)
In more good news for AMS flyers, starting tomorrow the Dutch railways will run fewer Intercity trains between the airport and Rotterdam and Arnhem. The reason? You guessed it . . . . they are short of staff!

Johan

Yesterday I had this happen already when talking the train from Utrecht to Schiphol, few trains running and airport staff told me it was due to staff shortage.

JeffersonCampervan Jun 12, 22 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Duschi (Post 34328648)
Immigration line looked extremely long (snaking all the way passed escalators down to Schengen departures. - right side of security ) yet downstairs passport control (Schengen to International) was completely empty.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is an "Immigration line"?

I'm arriving Thursday from YYZ with a Canadian passport - will I be in a long "Immigration line"?

hhdl Jun 12, 22 11:17 am

Edit: misread... Delete

johan rebel Jun 12, 22 11:23 am

Originally Posted by AnaTFN (Post 34328912)
few trains running.

The same number of passengers arriving on fewer trains will also mean a more irregular and pulsating flow at check-in and security, although the effect might be minor. I have no idea what percentage of pax travels to the airport by rail.

Johan

GUWonder Jun 12, 22 11:32 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34328591)
Luchtvaartnieuws reports that Schiphol now also has serious problems providing wheelchair and mobility assistance. They are short of staff, of course, but the number of requests is also way higher than in 2019, i.e. pre-Covid. Given human nature, it wouldn't surprise me if some pax see requesting assistance as a way of avoiding the queues.

Johan

Plenty of those passengers should be doing just that. There are a lot of people who may walk just fine to make a typical transit at AMS (as it would be for me or you in 2019, 2020 and 2021) but would need a wheelchair, walker or other mobility support aid if having to wait on their feet in a crowd for 1+ hours or so at a stretch. Human biology is part of human nature, and requesting wheelchair assistance as a way to avoid standing in the big lines can be just what a doctor would advise them to do if asked.

atflyer Jun 12, 22 11:59 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34329253)
The same number of passengers arriving on fewer trains will also mean a more irregular and pulsating flow at check-in and security, although the effect might be minor. I have no idea what percentage of pax travels to the airport by rail.

Johan

I think the effect will be minor. They used to have intercities with 15 min intervals and that went up to 10 minute intervals. This now goes back to 15 minute intervals. Probably still better than in most other countries with at best 30 min connections......

johan rebel Jun 12, 22 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by atflyer (Post 34329354)
Probably still better than in most other countries with at best 30 min connections......

Tell me about it. I have to settle for 60 minutes, with lousy punctuality to boot.

Johan

BubbaX Jun 12, 22 3:36 pm

Bah, I have fond memories of landing in Schiphol at 8 pm on a Sunday night and getting a hotel room, because with the maintenance and reduced service, there was no way I was going to make it home that night. Now if only the trains here were as cheap.

Bogwoppit Jun 12, 22 7:12 pm

We landed yesterday at 7:30am from YUL. Immigration was about 30 minutes, but we got out of the plane fast, and the watched as the line built quickly behind us. We did not check bags, so no bags collection to deal with.

Normally trains at that time are pretty regular to Centraal, but we had one option, and had to change at Duivendrecht. The city is very busy, my last visit was during the curfew in December. Every locker at the train station was taken at 2pm when we went to retrieve ours.

Interestingly, KLM used a remote stand, and the funky lift buses at YUL. A very strange thing. Boarded from the back, all the priority passengers had a nice walk to their seats.

mpkz Jun 12, 22 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34328831)

Johan

Fewer ICD from Rotterdam or normal IC?

Thom00992 Jun 13, 22 12:25 am

Datapoint from this morning (06:30):

Tents outside full, honestly looked like a disaster. Entrance to Departures 2 through the leftmost doors. SkyPriority check-in had no wait times. Schiphol personnel down the stairs to guide the flow of traffic upstairs. Once upstairs, Privium and SkyPriority (no segregation) take a right, snake around the entrance, funneled to the left to the filter above Departures 1. Never seen a priority line snake so much. Filters 4-7 above Departures 1 handled all the priority traffic this morning. Non priority pax line looked like 2-3 hours, yet according to Schiphol's app arriving 2 hours before your flight is more than sufficient today..

In all: 06:35 I arrived at Schiphol, 07:15 sat in a very dormant Lounge 25.

cmhua777 Jun 13, 22 12:47 pm

Is SkyPriority only for KLM/SkyTeam or can any J/elite passenger use it? Heading out on United in J and trying to gauge when to arrive.