FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

Leedsflyer Jul 19, 2022 9:27 am

data point 15 July 22

Had to transit AMS as my direct FRA-MAN flight got cancelled by LH. Around 1745, S>NS passport control was empty. NS>S passport control empty for EU pax, bit of a queue but not much for non-EU (I guess ~ 15 mins max).

KLC flight to LBA was delayed a bit, first by late incoming crew, and then by a lack of luggage loaders. Around 30 mins late in arriving eventually at LBA. Flight almost full.

erik123 Jul 19, 2022 9:48 am

My kid arrived from JFK with 2 checked bags at 6:53AM. KL642. He stepped out of the terminal building at 7:30. Extremely quick even on a slow day.

Xandrios Jul 19, 2022 10:28 am

Originally Posted by b12e (Post 34439039)
BRU usually has an empty priority line. At least in my experience.

Water for sale at 1 eur has been as long as the new connector was opened, even unpoliced. Just grab a bottle from the shelf and deposit your euro, dollar, or whatever you have on you. I guess there's very little theft (and a lot of trust from the Brussels Airport Company).

Did they stop doing the "staging" in tents in front of the airport building? They did that last year when it got too busy at check-in desks.

The funny thing with the 1-euro water is that the rest of the terminal is full of these kiosks and machines selling water for 2-3 bucks. And indeed, it is unpoliced... but that also means no change options (or card). Great initiative though and imho affordable water should be a standard at every airport.

Didn't think to have a look outside as I arrived from the train station downstairs. My impression was that check-in was crowded but nowhere near as bad as needing lines outside.

I'd definitely consider flying from BRU again if things don't soon clear up at AMS. Pretty good experience.

Fabo.sk Jul 19, 2022 10:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 34437205)
If not for elite status as a factor, EasyJet check-in and in-flight out of AMS isn’t much worse than it is with economy class on KLM and SAS for AMS-CPH flights. At the right price and depending on the time of day, I would fly EasyJet again on the route. If other aspects of the ground process at AMS are better with EasyJet than with KLM for an economy class traveler nowadays, then that’s extra incentive to not stick as much to major alliances’ airlines when flying out of AMS.

I rarely find easyJet cheaper than legacy options, if even available on the route and time needed. particularly as I have to account for extra fee to take a cabin bag, extra fee to select a seat (as once you have one assigned, you can't even change it for a payment, let alone free, if you lose the assignment lottery) etc. And in AMS I also can't go to a lounge before flight to grab something to eat and drink.
But this is really getting OT

b12e Jul 19, 2022 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34439461)
Didn't think to have a look outside as I arrived from the train station downstairs. My impression was that check-in was crowded but nowhere near as bad as needing lines outside.

if you speak Dutch, I can recommend Luchthaven 24/7 which can be watched on vrtnu.be - it shows BRU during the covid pandemic. Also shows the "staging" system outside, to reduce crowds inside, and other struggles.

johan rebel Jul 19, 2022 11:31 am

Another data point

Originally Posted by mlin32 (Post 34438646)
By the way, I suppose the queues at passport contrôle in AMS for correspondances are not too bad these days?

NS > S at ±1.30 p.m.

- Both Privium gates closed. "Kapot", said the marechaussee.

- regular queue long enough to stretch to the end of the tensabarriers, but no farther.

- E-gates open, no queue, used those instead.

- ClubLounge West to B35 (surely the gate farthest from the lounge) took 12 minutes. Would have been 10 had it not been for the closed Privium gates.

​​​​​- mailed Privium as soon as I got to the gate, received a reply real quick: the gates now showed green in their systems, they had no idea why they had been closed, or even that they had been, were going to ask the KMar to check.

Johan

johan rebel Jul 19, 2022 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by b12e (Post 34438625)
Edit: Now also received it in Dutch.

Just got it too.

A collection of embarrassing platitudes and half-truths in pretty lousy Dutch.

Johan

b12e Jul 19, 2022 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34439843)
Just got it too.

A collection of embarrassing platitudes and half-truths in pretty lousy Dutch.

Johan

It was even a highlight (!)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...54b8795b9.jpeg

westi2002 Jul 19, 2022 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34438968)
I had kept a 3hr buffer after arriving with the train from AMS but was airside in less than 15 minutes after arriving. Was flying TUI so no priority... however at the airport website you can actually purchase Priority security access irrelevant from your ticket type (for like 12 euro). Awesome! More airports should be doing that.

Please not. The SP lines at AMS will be clogged.
In WAW actually you can buy access for 30 PLN (7 EUR).

ygkcastaway Jul 19, 2022 3:18 pm

I will be flying AMS-MUC-YYZ on August 1st (8:50 am flight to MUC on LH) in J. I unfortunately *do* have to check a bag. I'm just trying to make sure I've got everything right in advance - I've read an embarrassingly large number of replies on this post, but having never been to AMS, there are still a few things that I'm not sure on. I'm also trying to figure out what ungodly hour I need to arrive at.

I know there will be a long line after arriving by car to even get into the terminal building - Is this the line for security, for check-in/bag drop-off, or both? I may try and take a train in to avoid some of this.

I understand that flying J on LH gets me priority security. Once in the terminal with bags dropped off, Do I have to exit again to get into the security line? Or, at that point is there any reliable way to get to the priority security line? I'm having a hard time grasping if the SkyPriority instructions in the original post ("If you have priority, ignore the main entrances to the checkpoints [… ] Enter via SkyPriority zone") apply to me, with priority security but no Flying Blue status. I read a few posts ago that someone flying J got stuck with the general security line for a while, so I'm just trying to figure out if that could have been avoided or not.

Any advice/help/confirmation is greatly appreciated! Would you recommend getting there the full four hours early?

johan rebel Jul 19, 2022 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34367869)
I'm not sure if NS lounge gets the same catering as the main lounge, but it was indeed terrific yesterday. With focus on Asian/Indonesian.

Same Indonesian theme today. Nasi, Rendang, all the condiments.Plus the usual soups, salads, wraps, sandwiches etc. Very good.

ClubLounge West is a haven of peace and quiet.

Unless you know exactly where it is, the lounge is not that easy to find. Nevertheless, a steady stream of pax arrive thinking they somehow qualify for entry. An American gentleman who entered right before me announced his arrival with the following words in lieu of a greeting: "I'm flying business class today!". He wad quickly sent packing. Later, as I was walking past heading for the toilets, a party of three walked in. The gent leading the pack, just as polite as his compatriot, said "So what's the deal here? We have American Express!". I almost burst out in laughter. Had a short conversation with the agent later, she said that denying people entry was almost a full-time job. I had picked a seat in the far corner of the lounge, out of sight and hearing of the reception desk, but next time I think I'll go for one close by with a clear view. Nonstop entertainment!

Johan

mlin32 Jul 19, 2022 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34440407)
. Later, as I was walking past heading for the toilets, a party of three walked in. The gent leading the pack, just as polite as his compatriot, said "So what's the deal here? We have American Express!". I almost burst out in laughter. Had a short conversation with the agent later, she said that denying people entry was almost a full-time job. I had picked a seat in the far corner of the lounge, out of sight and hearing of the reception desk, but next time I think I'll go for one close by with a clear view. Nonstop entertainment!

Johan

If I had a 0,05 € piece everytime I've heard or seen an argument over lounge access in Europe with that statement.......:D

johan rebel Jul 19, 2022 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by ygkcastaway (Post 34440393)
I know there will be a long line after arriving by car to even get into the terminal building - Is this the line for security, for check-in/bag drop-off, or both

I always arrive by car, and have always been able to enter Terminal 2 through door F immediately. No queues, no checks. Always mid-morning, others can hopefully confirm if the situation is different at other times of the day. Once inside, you turn right and walk to the contiguous Terminal 1, where the LH check-in counters are.

Originally Posted by ygkcastaway (Post 34440393)
I understand that flying J on LH gets me priority security.Once in the terminal with bags dropped off, Do I have to exit again to get into the security line? Or, at that point is there any reliable way to get to the priority security line?

No you don't, and yes there is. When you've dropped of your bags you make your way back to Terminal 2, preferably along the "back wall", so to speak. Just past the very conspicuous entrance to the Privium Lounge you will see the "back door" to priority security ahead of you. Present your boarding card and follow the crowd up the stairs/escalator. Once upstairs just go with the flow.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a0bf186f03.jpg

Johan

ygkcastaway Jul 19, 2022 3:39 pm

Much appreciated!!

b12e Jul 19, 2022 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by westi2002 (Post 34440392)
Please not. The SP lines at AMS will be clogged.
In WAW actually you can buy access for 30 PLN (7 EUR).

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34438968)
however at the airport website you can actually purchase Priority security access irrelevant from your ticket type (for like 12 euro). Awesome! More airports should be doing that.

The "larger" Spanish airports also allow you to purchase it. Afaik 6 euro, with the exception of Madrid where the price is doubled (12 euro). Both rounded up.
https://serviciosvip.aena.es/vip/en/...rack-fast-lane