FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

Netherlines May 17, 2022 8:41 am

Originally Posted by offvoice (Post 34257172)
My thoughts as well.

Now I'm a bit in pickle. I booked a Thalys that departs 1 hour exactly after I land from JED (International). I was thinking that it was plenty of time until I saw what the outbound looked like last sunday.

I told myself I could do the transit to the EU area and leave the airport from there. But the pictures above (if I read them properly) tend to say it's as much an issue. Any reco? Should I leave directly upon landing or is it a mess as well and it's better to postpone the train segment?

if the train segment is on the same ticket as your JED-AMS flight you can take the next train when delays occur.

offvoice May 17, 2022 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Netherlines (Post 34257253)
if the train segment is on the same ticket as your JED-AMS flight you can take the next train when delays occur.

For sure - but in that specific case it’s not :(

mpkz May 17, 2022 9:32 am

Originally Posted by offvoice (Post 34257172)
My thoughts as well.

Now I'm a bit in pickle. I booked a Thalys that departs 1 hour exactly after I land from JED (International). I was thinking that it was plenty of time until I saw what the outbound looked like last sunday.

I told myself I could do the transit to the EU area and leave the airport from there. But the pictures above (if I read them properly) tend to say it's as much an issue. Any reco? Should I leave directly upon landing or is it a mess as well and it's better to postpone the train segment?

Schiphol was bad enough with baggage even before the current shitshow that 1 hour with checked bags would have been risky

offvoice May 17, 2022 9:34 am

Originally Posted by mpkz (Post 34257428)
Schiphol was bad enough with baggage even before the current shitshow that 1 hour with checked bags would have been risky

I’m not traveling with any checked luggage though, carryon only

Netherlines May 17, 2022 9:43 am

Originally Posted by offvoice (Post 34257436)
I’m not traveling with any checked luggage though, carryon only

If you're travelling to Belgium you can easily book an Intercity Direct.These trains run every hour and are not too expensive.If your destination is Paris or beyond it doesn't make sense to do that segment by train imo especially when travelling on an Intercontinental itenary.

offvoice May 17, 2022 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Netherlines (Post 34257468)
If you're travelling to Belgium you can easily book an Intercity Direct.These trains run every hour and are not too expensive.If your destination is Paris or beyond it doesn't make sense to do that segment by train imo especially when travelling on an Intercontinental itenary.

spot on I’m heading to Brussels afterward. I’ll check that to cover my basis then, thanks for the tip!

Ardecos May 17, 2022 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pau3590 (Post 34256543)
i Will check in tomorrow at 5.15 .. i hope it Will be not so busy

Seems similar to yesterday (16 May). I joined the queue about 11:45 a.m. and there were three immigration booths open (1 × EU, 1 x ROW, 1 x short connection). When I arrived it wasn't too bad as I was able to join the main queue but as I advanced slowly in the queue I could see it starting to tail back a lot. The pinch point seemed to be the checks being made before people were allowed to join the short connection lane. No automatic gates were working. Fortunately for me a new shift of immigration officers started at 12:00 and suddenly at least 7 gates were opened.

Xandrios May 17, 2022 3:06 pm

Is there any advantage of having Privium over regular Priority when flying Schengen these days? I have a KL flight coming up mid-june at 06:40AM and a LX flight at 07:00 mid-July (Start of the summer holidays...) but won't be able to be at the airport before 05:20AM using regular transport means. Giving me 80 min (KL) and 100 min (LX) to get from plaza to departure. Both in Business class.

From what I remember Privium for intra-schengen is now directed to the KLM SkyPriority escalator anyway. Does that mean, already having priority through the ticket, that the privium and priority queues are the same nowadays? Or is there a machine upstairs to scan the privium card to even get priority over other Skypriority pax?

Since summer holidays will just have started for the July flight I'm expecting mayhem again. Considering getting Privium if that will offer a better guarantee of getting through security faster than 'regular priority'. Or alternatively... I can just use regular priority and spend the extra money on a (very) early taxi to the airport instead.

Unfortunately I kinda have to decide now already, as Privium apparently has a sign-up delay of a few weeks due to their newfound business..

Pau3590 May 17, 2022 9:54 pm

departure 2 SP was able to check in directly at 5.30 this morning. security lasted max 10 minutes. 5.15 we were at Schiphol, 5.45 Crown lounge 52

Netherlines May 17, 2022 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34258457)
Is there any advantage of having Privium over regular Priority when flying Schengen these days? I have a KL flight coming up mid-june at 06:40AM and a LX flight at 07:00 mid-July (Start of the summer holidays...) but won't be able to be at the airport before 05:20AM using regular transport means. Giving me 80 min (KL) and 100 min (LX) to get from plaza to departure. Both in Business class.

From what I remember Privium for intra-schengen is now directed to the KLM SkyPriority escalator anyway. Does that mean, already having priority through the ticket, that the privium and priority queues are the same nowadays? Or is there a machine upstairs to scan the privium card to even get priority over other Skypriority pax?

Since summer holidays will just have started for the July flight I'm expecting mayhem again. Considering getting Privium if that will offer a better guarantee of getting through security faster than 'regular priority'. Or alternatively... I can just use regular priority and spend the extra money on a (very) early taxi to the airport instead.

Unfortunately I kinda have to decide now already, as Privium apparently has a sign-up delay of a few weeks due to their newfound business..

Privium used to have a separate lane for Schengen flights but not anymore for some time now.
I'm a Privium card holder myself and have SP too.On some occasions i was led through immediately when i waived my Privium Card however on other occasions i had to join the SP queue.I'm talking about the last couple of weeks here when chaos ruled at Schiphol.
The Schengen situation is not a great selling point for Privium.I don't understand why a seperate lane for Privium members is not available.It's easy to do but all things seem to go wrong @AMS these days.

erik123 May 18, 2022 1:56 am

At the sky priority area there is a separate scanner upstairs for Privium on the right. At least last month there was.

Netherlines May 18, 2022 3:08 am

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 34259541)
At the sky priority area there is a separate scanner upstairs for Privium on the right. At least last month there was.

Thank you,a scanner that grants direct access to priority for Privium only?
I thought it was for both SP and Privium.

My next flight is.my commute to GVA this Saturday and i will ask Privium staff in the Departures Lounge and report back.
But maybe Johan our expert on FT can shed some light on this matter.

San Gottardo May 18, 2022 3:24 am

After a recent quite lenthy and unpleasant passage through Schengen security at AMS I was considering getting Privium as well. I fly through AMS about 10-12 times a year, the cost would then be 25 EUR or so per trip; something I'll happily pay to make the trip more comfortable and efficient.

There are a few things I couldn't quite figure from the website:
  • The departure lounge is landside? Which means one has to leave some time to go through security. Which becomes a problem if there is no really quick and dedicated lane for Privium at security, and that way defies the purpose
  • It also mentions accelerated passage of passport controls. How exactly does that work? Regular fast lane which is shared with other priority pax (SkyPriority etc), or a dedicated Privium lane which is really fast?
  • From what I read here from time to time the lounges are better than KLM (not difficult) and other airlines' contract lounges; and they are never overcrowded. Is that true?
I just want to avoid that I get the membership but then find myself not much accelerated at security/border control, and a lounge which is crowded. Those are the things I get Privium for.

If there is a better thread to discuss this, please move.

Netherlines May 18, 2022 3:46 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 34259653)
After a recent quite lenthy and unpleasant passage through Schengen security at AMS I was considering getting Privium as well. I fly through AMS about 10-12 times a year, the cost would then be 25 EUR or so per trip; something I'll happily pay to make the trip more comfortable and efficient.

• The departure lounge is landside? Which means one has to leave some time to go through security. Which becomes a problem if there is no really quick and dedicated lane for Privium at security, and that way defies the purpose
  • It also mentions accelerated passage of passport controls. How exactly does that work? Regular fast lane which is shared with other priority pax (SkyPriority etc), or a dedicated Privium lane which is really fast?
  • From what I read here from time to time the lounges are better than KLM (not difficult) and other airlines' contract lounges; and they are never overcrowded. Is that true?
I just want to avoid that I get the membership but then find myself not much accelerated at security/border control, and a lounge which is crowded. Those are the things I get Privium for.

These are strange times in AMS.In 25 years of regular flying out of my home Airport i've never seen scenes like the past 2.months.
Privium is great for Non Schengen flights.The Iris scan does the trick and you're through immigration really fast.Once again that was before this mad-house at AMS began 2 months ago.
There is 1 Privium departure Lounge landside near checkin desk 9-10
Furthermore there is a Privium Express Lounge located near the D gates(AirSide--Schengen)currently still open during the morning.Close to the 25 Zoo.
And finally the Privium Lounge West near the E gates(AirSide)The food is actually tasty and fresh and the staff friendly and the atmosphere is calm.Nothing Luke the zoo at 25/52.
Is Privium worth it?Absolutely especially for Non-Schengen flights.
But since this mad-house is ongoing and there is uncertainty as you can read if Privium haa it's own Security access lane for Schengen flights perhaps it's better to wait some time and join the Privium Scheme when Schiphol has sorted this mess out.

Fabo.sk May 18, 2022 4:00 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 34259653)

It has been reported recently that NS lounge had limited hours due to staffing. That unfortunately does not bode well.

Anyway you can also get a trial membership with or without lounge entrance. I suspect the other benefits (parking and prio checkin with select airlines when in Y) are not relevant to you.

to recap what has already been said:
1. Main lounge is landside. In normal situations, it's not too bad to get landside (5-10 min max) but I don't like the unpredictability and lately you just can't know. Others is small lounge in S and nice new lounge in NS. Limited hours ATM.
2. There is no fasttrack that I have seen for passport control in AMS. Privium gets completely separate lane with biometric scanners. Your card contains biometric info that is loaded and validated with KMar and you need to let them keep records of a valid EU travel document. There's dedicated KMar staff in the main landside lounge to take care of this.
3. Absolutely. It's rare that there is more than 10, 15 people in the lounges in my experience. Food is great and drink selection is OK.