FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

mpkz Jun 1, 2022 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34297962)
I've recently been made aware by Privium that they offer also lounge access in Zuid-Hollands premier airport. Unfortunately, unlike Noord-Brabantse, no priority security is included. Does that even work in RTM, does anyone know? What are the waiting times these days?

I have no idea. The one and only time I managed to use the airport was years ago, lately they just don't offer any useful destination for me, except perhaps LCY but that that's on BA, so of limited usefulness compared to LCY KL flights from AMS.

My friend flew out of RTM on Sunday and said virtually no lines anywhere. But might be an exception. He was on BA, no HY.

No idea about Privium lounges, for me LCY is also the only logical route from RTM.

BobTL Jun 1, 2022 8:50 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34297902)
Johan might not; but the Dutch do in fact use "Engeland" as fully interchangeable for "Verenigd Koninkrijk".

https://onzetaal.nl/taaladvies/engel...igd-koninkrijk

Exactly and it’s just as wrong😁

BobTL Jun 1, 2022 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34297937)
True as that may be... how does that mean that the job market in Holland is not tight, and how does that not impact the major airport that happens to be located smack dab in the middle of Holland?

OK, maybe Randstad would be more all-encompassing as I am sure many airport workers commute from Provincie Utrecht and no doubt a sizeable number also from the southwestern end of Flevoland, but the fact remains, Schiphol is in Holland. And the situation it finds itself in is only very tangentially related to job market in Maastricht, which, while undoubtedly being in The Netherlands, is very far from Holland indeed.

There is not such thing as Holland in The Netherlands other than being erroneously used as the country name. The provinces North (Noord)-Holland and South (Zuid)-Holland are used in their full name when referring to them as a province. When referring to the country they are part of, its name is The Netherlands and not Holland.
Therefor Schiphol isn’t in Holland, it is in the province of North (Noord)-Holland and in the country of The Netherlands.

irishguy28 Jun 1, 2022 8:58 am

Originally Posted by BobTL (Post 34298185)
There is not such thing as Holland in The Netherlands other than being erroneously used as the country name. The provinces North (Noord)-Holland and South (Zuid)-Holland are used in their full name when referring to them as a province. When referring to the country they are part of, its name is The Netherlands and not Holland.
Therefor Schiphol isn’t in Holland, it is in the province of North (Noord)-Holland and in the country of The Netherlands.

I bet you must hate the KLM inflight magazine so!!!

I would advise you to relax. Plenty of things and places can have an "official" name, and are still known by other alternative names or variations. My own country is frequently incorrectly referred to by various "wrong" names - sometimes out of laziness, sometimes out of ignorance, but sometimes to attempt to make some kind of political point - but it's not something that one should get themselves worked up about.

FlyingCow Jun 1, 2022 9:14 am

What is the situation at passport control for connecting flights? I have a Schengen to Non-Schengen connection and V/V this long weekend (I know :( ) and was wondering if 1:30 would be enough.

It’s similar on the way back, and my non-Schengen origin is ‘clean’, i.e. no security check needed.

Fabo.sk Jun 1, 2022 9:17 am

Originally Posted by BobTL (Post 34298185)

There is no such thing as Provincie Holland currently.

Holland
very much does exist as geographical and historical term, both as County of Holland and as Province of Holland in the United Netherlands time.

BobTL Jun 1, 2022 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34298248)
There is no such thing as Provincie Holland currently.

Holland
very much does exist as geographical and historical term, both as County of Holland and as Province of Holland in the United Netherlands time.

Indeed historical but not in the present time. The Netherlands is The Netherlands and not Holland. Simple 😁

BobTL Jun 1, 2022 9:48 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34298194)
I bet you must hate the KLM inflight magazine so!!!

I would advise you to relax. Plenty of things and places can have an "official" name, and are still known by other alternative names or variations. My own country is frequently incorrectly referred to by various "wrong" names - sometimes out of laziness, sometimes out of ignorance, but sometimes to attempt to make some kind of political point - but it's not something that one should get themselves worked up about.

Thank you for your advice and I can reassure you I am more relaxed than ever😁

HadesNL Jun 1, 2022 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34297962)
I've recently been made aware by Privium that they offer also lounge access in Zuid-Hollands premier airport. Unfortunately, unlike Noord-Brabantse, no priority security is included. Does that even work in RTM, does anyone know? What are the waiting times these .

Fabo.sk :
I am due to fly this friday from RTM to LCY on BA.

From past experience when booking a Club Europe ticket you will get priority security at RTM.
(a dedicated line or at least a way to cut the line to get upfront = enforced & monitored by staff)
Morning (7H) and evening (19H) departures can be a bit busy as there are usual 4 Transavia flights (737 capacity) departing to holiday destinations with holidaymakers.

There is a new lounge now just after security.
More info in the other thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-lounge-2.html
Access for Club Europe, BA Silver & Gold and Oneworld Sapphire & Emeralds
Buy up / pay for use access is possible.
They urge passengers to reserve a spot by emailing in advance due to limited seating capacity

When flying to Non-Schengen destinations, usually Kmar has 2 booths handling passport control.
No e-gates or priority here.

Boarding the aircraft is by bus or walking on the apron.
Depending on the location of aircraft if close to the terminal building.

I will post my opinions / photos live on friday on the other thread.

johan rebel Jun 1, 2022 10:45 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34297902)
but the Dutch do in fact use "Engeland" as fully interchangeable for "Verenigd Koninkrijk".

And then you get those millions and millions of English speakers, including those with a native command of the language, who insist on using such confusing colloquial expressions as "America", "the States" and "the US"! Tsk tsk tsk, the language police really need to up their game here! The benighted masses simply cannot be allowed to showcase their ignorance in such a blatant manner. The worst of them even call themselves Americans!

Johan

irishguy28 Jun 1, 2022 11:11 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34298551)
And then you get those millions and millions of English speakers, including those with a native command of the language, who insist on using such confusing colloquial expressions as "America", "the States" and "the US"!

Indeed; but the difference there is, each of those alternates is universally embraced and used by the Americans [should that be United Statians? 😁 ] themselves, without controversy or complaint!

CyBeR Jun 1, 2022 11:54 am

I tend to go with US Americans. Many of whom don't have maps. Like such as.

johan rebel Jun 1, 2022 11:58 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34298629)
Indeed; but the difference there is, each of those alternates is universally embraced and used by the Americans [should that be [i]United Statians? 😁 ] themselves, without controversy or complaint!

I fully understand why everybody leaves "United" out of the equation, the country is currently anything but. Just ask any Democrat or Republican.

I figure Holland was pretty universally embraced, albeit erroneously, until officialdom decided to intervene. As far as I'm concerned they are vechten tegen de bierkaai.

Bottom line: BobTL is right, (Kingdom of) the Netherlands is the correct official fully certified and internationally recognized name of the Low Countries. He cares, I don't. That's all there's to it. Not worth arguing over.

As an aside, and in the kind of coincidence you can't make up, while riding my bike yesterday afternoon I bumped into the project manger who's busy getting us hicks and rubes municipal water and sewerage. First thing he asked me was "Ben jij een Hollander?" In Dutch. He's lived a kilometer down the road from me for years, but neither of us knew the other spoke Dutch. Turns out he used to live in (Flemish) Belgium, and picked up pretty decent Dutch/Vlaams there. It seems that those dastardly Vlamingen don't get the difference between Nederland and Holland either.

Johan

physicsdude Jun 1, 2022 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34298551)
The worst of them even call themselves Americans!

Johan

As an American I can confirm this.

irishguy28 Jun 1, 2022 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34297419)
In anticipation for possible strikes today, and since KLM is offering a no-fare-difference change policy I moved today's flight to later this week. Seems that was not needed then. Guess thats good news nonetheless.

Thanks for alerting me to the no-fare-difference policy! I wasn't aware of this!

I booked a trip for the Pinksteren weekend only just last Friday, at a price I couldn't quite believe given the short notice, plus the news at the time that KLM was suspending ticket sales due to the problems at AMS. I've now been able to move my return flight to a better time that was initially offered at a much higher price. And I'll keep the potential to move the outbound depending on how bad things look like on Friday and how early I make it to check-in ahead of the outbound!!!