FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

SAT Lawyer May 28, 2022 10:08 pm

I made it through security at Departures 1 yesterday in less than 10 minutes. Admittedly, I was SkyPriority, but the regular line was barely longer.

Of course, it was 17:30 on a Saturday heading to the Schengen gates, so just a datapoint, and doesn’t seem representative of what most everyone else has been experiencing recently.

I had an 11-hour layover in Amsterdam connecting from an international arrival to a Schengen departure, and I feel like it probably saved me some time to clear immigration by heading to the Schengen area airside first, then walking out of the terminal at Schengen arrivals to catch a train to Centraal Station.

Xandrios May 29, 2022 3:04 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 34288323)
Indeed the demand is definitely there. But having seen even the Privium ClubLounge West closed last trip, I suspect staff shortages are also still affecting airport lounges which are part of ‘horeca’.
I don’t know how the staff at the *A/BA lounge were employed, but as both locations are still closed I figure they may be under a different contract/company than the Aspire staff and possibly did not maintain their job during covid?

The Star Alliance lounge is operated by Aspire #26 staff as far as I am aware. It's next door and I think they also share a kitchen.

It could be staff shortages indeed. Though with them now potentially having to turn away lounge customers (that are then entitled to compensation I assume?) can't be a good solution either though..

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34288432)
I'm getting ± 2-2½ times as many miles now as I did in the second half of last year for exactly the same flights.

Keep in mind though that fare prices have also gone up due to increased demand. The surge pricing they are talking about now, as far as I understand, is artificial price increases (e.g. remove the lower half of fares) leaving only the more expensive ones. The theory being that it would reduce the number of pax booking, while still maintaining revenue as the margin per pax is much higher.

roelb May 29, 2022 3:46 am

Originally Posted by wijnands (Post 34287987)
Seems rather frivolous when it's 17 minutes door to door by buss.

Jep, in that case, I wouldn't park a car at the airport either. In my case though, it's 55 minutes to an hours drive by car, or over 2 hours by bus & train, including the 10 minute walk to the nearest bus stop.

roelb May 29, 2022 3:52 am

Originally Posted by feederflight (Post 34288225)
https://liveandletsfly.com/klm-surge...rom-amsterdam/

Another weird move in the AMS drama...... :confused:

The problem with the method chosen is that they are not just limiting new ticket sales, they are also creating an issue for people who need to change flights, as their original fare bucket will no longer be available. They should have just published new, higher fares for these busy days, and put exclusion dates in the regular fares. That would impact new customers, but not existing customers who already hold a ticket.

Okcmaestro May 29, 2022 6:41 am

I am arriving AMS from ZUR on July 6th @ 1:35pm on KLM and connecting to BOS with Delta @ 2:40pm. Do the current problems in AMS make this problematic? Looks like I will be traveling the length of the airport and not sure how many layers of security I will have to pass. Does it make sense to try to re-book through CDG?

Thanks
Mark

mfkne May 29, 2022 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Okcmaestro (Post 34289475)
I am arriving AMS from ZUR on July 6th @ 1:35pm on KLM and connecting to BOS with Delta @ 2:40pm. Do the current problems in AMS make this problematic? Looks like I will be traveling the length of the airport and not sure how many layers of security I will have to pass. Does it make sense to try to re-book through CDG?

Assuming you mean ZRH you will not have to clear security, only passport control. That should be doable in that time, assuming on-time arrivals.

mpkz May 29, 2022 10:27 am

Friends flew out of AMS today, no priority or anything. Both Schengen, no checked in bags. Queues outside but they got through in less than 1.5 hours (not great, but far from the 4-5 hour waits people have been reporting).

zmb May 29, 2022 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 34283597)
The massive mess at AMS is with the security screening lines. It’s way worse on average if originating at AMS, but transit security isn’t that pretty either. And many a non-Schengen-to- non-Schengen transfer is subject to transit security screening at AMS. Passport control at AMS is its own mess at times, but it’s the security screening lines at AMS that have been worse than anything I’ve seen this year — and I’ve seen some relatively bad lines this year compared to what used to be the case at those airports.

Unlike other airports I've been to, AMS exclusively uses CT and mmWave scanners instead of 2D X-Ray machines and metal detectors at the security checkpoints. Both of these seem to take longer per bag/passenger to process, and then there's the associated false positive rate with mmWave scanners (yes, that is my waist band and belt. No I don't think you need your hands on it).

b12e May 29, 2022 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by zmb (Post 34290208)
Unlike other airports I've been to, AMS exclusively uses CT and mmWave scanners instead of 2D X-Ray machines and metal detectors at the security checkpoints. Both of these seem to take longer per bag/passenger to process, and then there's the associated false positive rate with mmWave scanners (yes, that is my waist band and belt. No I don't think you need your hands on it).

The positive side of it is that instead of shuffling stuff in and out of your bag (liquids, laptop, tablet) you're now just hopelessly waiting for the thing to move others' stuff through the scanner so you can get your tray in there too, so you can mentally prepare for the "hands on" experience after the body scan.

Fabo.sk May 29, 2022 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by roelb (Post 34287175)
You could also consider applying for an Amex platinum card. First year is EUR 350 and includes Privum Plus + Privium partner subscription, so the wife/girlfriend/husband/etc can also join you through the Privium lines on a leisure trip. It includes Privium plus, so that gets you into the Privium lounges as well, and you can also use the Privium P1 and Privum P3 parking. Especially Privium P1 is pretty convenient, and booking a spot in advance gives very reasonable rates, often compareable to P3 (around EUR 50/week).

In addition, the included Priority Pass wil get you in the airside Aspire lounges prior to each flight while you're still working to obtain your FB Gold status. If you use a referral from an existing card holder (just sent a message if you want one), you'll also get 30k points, or EUR 120 if you use those towards spend on the card. You can choose to move those points to Flying Blue to buy a reward ticket, at a 5:4 conversion rate, resulting in 24k FB miles.

Make note that Amex Plat partner card gets full privileges, so that's another Privium and PP in the fold.

Privium comes heavily recommended by me, as well as Johan, a fellow Scandinavia commuter

AurelAF96 May 30, 2022 8:27 am

I'm flying out of AMS in 3 days, non-schengen flights, does Sky Priority can save me for not doing 4hours queue for security?

And historically, do the queue starts outside for the check-in counters (Departures 3)?

Thanks for the help!

AnaTFN May 30, 2022 9:41 am

Originally Posted by AurelAF96 (Post 34292101)
I'm flying out of AMS in 3 days, non-schengen flights, does Sky Priority can save me for not doing 4hours queue for security?

It should. From late April when the madness started i had only encountered one day (at the very beginning) when Sky Priority didn't have a separate access. Yous hould be able to walk to the Sky Priority check in zone and from there have a shortcut to security with separate lines. I don't know for non-shengen, i always fly within Europe, but there is the option of clearing security in the european side (T2?) where the Sky Priority check in zone is numbered 9-10 and then go to security upstairs and then pass the passport control within the terminal, which often looks quite ok in the schengen --> non-schengen direction.

Bogwoppit May 30, 2022 10:45 am

If I have my boarding pass, and no bags to check, flying AMS-YUL in economy. What is the best process to follow? I do not want to get stuck in line ups that will take me to check in desks.

Thanks

tourguide May 30, 2022 11:38 am

If you have sky priority, please go to the SP check in area, even if you don't have luggage to check. From the SP area, you can go in line for security, separately from the (very long) security line for all other pax. To reach check in desks is not the problem at SPL at the moment. The problem is the line for security control. So, make your way to row 9, go in there without stopping at a desk (no luggage to drop, boarding pass in hand, right?) and join the SP line for security

johan rebel May 30, 2022 11:39 am

Originally Posted by AurelAF96 (Post 34292101)
I'm flying out of AMS in 3 days, non-Schengen flights . . . do the queue starts outside for the check-in counters (Departures 3)?

Originally Posted by AnaTFN (Post 34292290)
You should be able to walk to the Sky Priority check in zone

No Sky Priority check-in zone in Departures 3, though.

Johan