Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is an on-arrival aspect tied to ETIAS too that comes in play for Schengen airports of entry. And even without ETIAS, AMS passport control already has disproportionately more system check issues of arrivals than the other Schengen ports of entry that I use a lot.
That's all rather vague. Can you please provide specific details on both points?

Johan
Old May 27, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will the slot reduction be applied universally to all carriers? Will we see LO being asked to drop one of its 3 daily flights?
Old May 27, 2022, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So far nothing is forced. Schiphol is only requesting airlines to reduce flights, and has removed any obstacles for airlines to do so. But it may not make financial sense for airlines to actually cancel flights.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Is the strike expected to affect ATC? I know KLM is proactively cancelling flights but wondering if we should expect inbound delays on our TATL flights.

The massive mess at AMS is with the security screening lines. It’s way worse on average if originating at AMS, but transit security isn’t that pretty either. And many a non-Schengen-to- non-Schengen transfer is subject to transit security screening at AMS. Passport control at AMS is its own mess at times, but it’s the security screening lines at AMS that have been worse than anything I’ve seen this year — and I’ve seen some relatively bad lines this year compared to what used to be the case at those airports.
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Which issues specifically made it a nightmare? Transfer security? Transfer passport control? Flight delays? Cancelations? Packed lounges? All of the above?
Can someone elaborate specifically on the lines transit screening? How long are people waiting? Also I have seen multiple reports that non-Schengen -> non-Schengen does not require screening if your first flight originated in USA so it is a little confusing as to whether I will have to endure transit security screening.

I have a 1 hour 20 minute connection on June 1 which should be plenty of time provided (1) no major flight delays and (2) no chokepoint/delays at transit security screening. My assumption was that the 3-4 hour lines were for passengers who are originating at AMS or who needed immigration clearance. I am sorry to hear it takes 3 hours to get airside but I will presumably be airside the whole time...

Last edited by Boraxo; May 27, 2022 at 1:44 pm
Old May 27, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: hyatt globalist

If I don’t have to stop by the check-in desk, do I go to departure 1 (where gate d10 seems to be) or 3? Does it matter since they seem to be all connected? Thank you
Old May 27, 2022, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Is the strike expected to affect ATC? I know KLM is proactively cancelling flights but wondering if we should expect inbound delays on our TATL flights.

Can someone elaborate specifically on the lines transit screening? How long are people waiting? Also I have seen multiple reports that non-Schengen -> non-Schengen does not require screening if your first flight originated in USA so it is a little confusing as to whether I will have to endure transit security screening.

I have a 1 hour 20 minute connection on June 1 which should be plenty of time provided (1) no major flight delays and (2) no chokepoint/delays at transit security screening. My assumption was that the 3-4 hour lines were for passengers who are originating at AMS or who needed immigration clearance. I am sorry to hear it takes 3 hours to get airside but I will presumably be airside the whole time...
Passengers arriving into AMS from US and Canadian origin flights are generally not subject to transit passenger security screening at AMS even for onward flights, as the US and Canada are among the white-listed countries for this purpose. AMS Passport control doesn’t apply for non-Schengen to non-Schengen transit passengers (unless for some reason the passenger wants to self-divert by entering the Schengen side in between flights).
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Passengers arriving into AMS from US and Canadian origin flights are generally not subject to transit passenger security screening at AMS even for onward flights, as the US and Canada are among the white-listed countries for this purpose. AMS Passport control doesn’t apply for non-Schengen to non-Schengen transit passengers (unless for some reason the passenger wants to self-divert by entering the Schengen side in between flights).
Just to clarify, this means that if you're flying from Canada to the UK via AMS, you don't need to go through security or pass through passport control, correct?
Old May 27, 2022, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by physicsdude
Just to clarify, this means that if you're flying from Canada to the UK via AMS, you don't need to go through security or pass through passport control, correct?
Yes, for such route it’s been typical that this doesn’t involve re-screening at AMS and doesn’t involve in-person passport control checks at AMS.
Boraxo and physicsdude like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 1:52 am

Group, what's your take on this? AMS is my preferred airport since I live very close to it. I've been offered a new assignment at work which would have me travel to Sweden every other week. Would buying privium help?
Old May 28, 2022, 2:37 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jlee132132
If I don’t have to stop by the check-in desk, do I go to departure 1 (where gate d10 seems to be) or 3? Does it matter since they seem to be all connected? Thank you
You would go through security at departures 3 or 2. Departures 1 is strictly Schengen only.

The confusing part here is that the D gates exist both for Schengen and Non-Schengen. The higher numbers (60 and up I believe) are Schengen, the lower numbers are non-Schengen.
Originally Posted by wijnands
Group, what's your take on this? AMS is my preferred airport since I live very close to it. I've been offered a new assignment at work which would have me travel to Sweden every other week. Would buying privium help?
Do you have status with the airline that you will fly with, and does that airline offer lounge and priority services at AMS?
Generally Privium is considered to offer slightly faster security passage than regular priority offer by airlines. And the Privium lounges are probably slightly higher quality. If that's worth the fee is up to you If you don't have priority from the airline/FFP then I'd say that getting Privium is a no-brainer.

Or better yet... why not use the mess at AMS to convince your employer to pay for Privium

Edit: Of course the above is assuming you won't be using the LCC pier (Easyjet, mainly) as Privium won't work there.
jlee132132 likes this.

Last edited by Xandrios; May 28, 2022 at 2:44 am
Old May 28, 2022, 3:11 am

Only silver at KLM. Gives me luggage drop at the business class desk. Just had a look at privium basic and that's 13 euros a month to pass security quickly. If that's enough to pass the security mess quickly I'd gladly pay that.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Edit: Of course the above is assuming you won't be using the LCC pier (Easyjet, mainly) as Privium won't work there.
IIRC there is a Privium gate at the far right of the M-pier filter.
Old May 28, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: hyatt globalist
Today around 11-12, departure 3

uber took longer near the airport due to traffic
took 30 minutes to clear security - lines were long but was faster than expected
there was a long line at United desks to check in luggage - I was able to bypass it uploading Covid test result on the United app
took another 20-25 for passport control
Old May 28, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by wijnands
Yes, definitely worth imo.
But the waiting line for getting your intake for privium are long right now, ~2 months.
Old May 28, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Seems most mess is indeed for morning flights. As others have mentioned Schiphol does a bad job in showing which time slots are the busiest. Had a flight last Thursday with KLM at 20:45. Arrived by train at Schiphol at 17:45. Departures 1&2 not crowded. Stairs to priority security filter inside KLM Skypriority checkin area closed so took entry in front of KLM Skypriority checkin desks. 2 priority security filters open, no queue.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.