Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 3:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Arrived via train at 10:10am
No wait at BA priority check in.
long line at T3 security, walked to t2 priority, no wait at Privium, 2 people ahead of me.

total time arriving at station -> drop off bag-> Privium lounge west 20 minutes.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by thomas199023
Arrived via train at 10:10am
No wait at BA priority check in.
long line at T3 security, walked to t2 priority, no wait at Privium, 2 people ahead of me.

total time arriving at station -> drop off bag-> Privium lounge west 20 minutes.
Not too bad!
Is the Privium Lounge West busy?
Old May 26, 2022, 3:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Netherlines
Not too bad!
Is the Privium Lounge West busy?
not nearly as busy as I feared. Maybe 50% full?
Old May 26, 2022, 3:40 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Report from my trip to AMS this morning. I arrived around 7:05 am. The lines for terminal 1 were outside the building and wrapped quite a while.

Inside terminal 2, the regular line for both check in and security was quite long but priority wasn't horrible. I was able to get thru the check in, security and passport control and into lounge 52 in about 1 hour total curb to lounge.
Thanks for the report. Surprising that the lines for departures 1 and 2 are different as both are for entry to the Schengen gates. if anything I'd expect Departures 2 to be longer since it serves also non-Schengen.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Many other factors also need to be taken into consideration. Schiphol is creating a real hornets' nest here.
Is a "slot" just a "departure/arrival space" or is it tied to a specific destination? I seem to understand that it's the latter, but I might be wrong.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Thanks for the report. Surprising that the lines for departures 1 and 2 are different as both are for entry to the Schengen gates. if anything I'd expect Departures 2 to be longer since it serves also non-Schengen.
My guess is most people don't know Schiphol as well as we do, and just follow signs mindlessly. If their TA or airline says "follow departures 1" they just do so. While in reality they could just as well go through departures 2 if they don't need to check in luggage at one of the check in desks in dep1.

And then there's the people who have no clue about where to go, see a massive queue and just join it (because it's where everybody else goes, so why wouldn't they have to go there)
Old May 26, 2022, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Is a "slot" just a "departure/arrival space" or is it tied to a specific destination? I seem to understand that it's the latter, but I might be wrong.
No: it is certainly not the case that *every* slot pair is inherently associated with a particular destination and is awarded with a requirement that it must be used for a particular destination.

There may be cases, in slot-restricted airports and/or as a remedy imposed on airlines with a dominant position or after a merger, that certain pairs must be surrendered to other airlines willing to operate on routes that would otherwise be deemed monopolistic (without competition); and the timing (and price) of certain slot pairs will make them only practical for certain flights (I.e. an 11pm departure slot is not going to be of interest to.a US carrier seeking to operate a TATL flight).

In the absence of any particular regulatory restrictions, operators are free to bid for and use any slots as they themselves see fit.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: AF, BA, SK, Marriott & Hilton
I have been 4 times transiting through AMS in the last 2 weeks....
I must say it is a NIGHTMARE....and I am only transitting!
When I see pictures of the outside queue to get in the airport , I am surely lucky! (and sorry for those who need to get in AMS)

How come the transfer desk is such a mess? no sky prio neither?
No help from the gate's staff (I am platinum flying in J!!!)

I had plans for more transit via AMS in the next few weeks/months, but I will rebook via FRA or CDG.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:16 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
So, the slot co-ordinator at Schiphol is capping the number of slots for the period from 1 June to 28 August. The current 126,000 will be dropped to a maximum of 90,000 slots. The airlines have been assured that they will not lose any slots that they choose not to use over the summer period, i.e. they will retain all of their current slots again after the summer even if they drop slots during the summer months, so the hope is that airlines will happily and gladly cancel a significant number of their planned summer flights.

The article doesn't address the issue of what happens if the airlines don't manage to give up the necessary 36,000 slots. The article also appears a bit contradictory - the airlines wanted a full, busy season to make up for the lost business of the last 2 years, but also quotes a Schiphol spokesperson as saying that the airlines have "reacted positively" to the development.

Further measures are due to be announced tomorrow.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2430257-nieuw...ol-lucht-geven
Well that's not going to happen. During covid times (or at least parts of it) airlines had no reason to operate all their flights yet were forced to do so to keep their slots. And now that the airport has a capacity issue all of a sudden the airlines are allowed to drop slot restrictions? Voluntarily... while this is the time the airlines need to run their full schedule to make up for the losses that were partly created by these slot restrictions in the first place? Hah! Schiphol is dreaming.

The only way I see this happening is if the situation at Schiphol is deemed some kind of safety hazzard and some of the point-to-point low cost airlines (HV?) are forced by authorities to move somewhere else. Maybe... Lelystad (Controversial idea... I know). Although Lelystad may also have staff issues at that point, but at least the capacity would be spread over multiple airports. I don't know. Its weird anyway that Schiphol has so many staff issues while Eindhoven and other airports do not. Sounds like it is not only an issue with the market, but specifically an issue with working conditions/pay at Schiphol.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supersympa
I have been 4 times transiting through AMS in the last 2 weeks....
I must say it is a NIGHTMARE....and I am only transitting!
Which issues specifically made it a nightmare? Transfer security? Transfer passport control? Flight delays? Cancelations? Packed lounges? All of the above?

Johan
Old May 26, 2022, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Well that's not going to happen. During covid times (or at least parts of it) airlines had no reason to operate all their flights yet were forced to do so to keep their slots.

There were - and still are - some reliefs in operation at an EU level.

According to this, an airline is currently (and til 29 October 2022) allowed to use a minimum of 64% of its slots without losing its full allocation

https://transport.ec.europa.eu/news/...-2021-12-15_en
hugolover likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: AF, BA, SK, Marriott & Hilton
Which issues specifically made it a nightmare? Transfer security? Transfer passport control? Flight delays? Cancelations? Packed lounges? All of the above?

Johan
ALL! (except transfer pass control, only a few pax ahead of me both time)
Old May 26, 2022, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There were - and still are - some reliefs in operation at an EU level.
What other EU rules will Schiphol have to take into account when revoking slot allocations?

Johan
Old May 26, 2022, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supersympa
How come the transfer desk is such a mess? no sky prio neither?
A considerable number of departing pax only get airside after their flight has departed. Unable to get through on the phone or rebook themselves online, their only option is to.join yet another queue, for the transfer desks, for assistance in rebooking.

Some (all?) transfer desks usually have a SkyPriority line, but at problem times who knows if they are staffed or the lines controlled. At least some of the SkyPriority pax thus affected may fare better contacting the priority phone numbers for rebooking where necessary.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What other EU rules will Schiphol have to take into account when revoking slot allocations?

Johan
You better address your queries and concerns to the slot coordinator, Johan. But please report back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.