Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: House MD, How I Met Your Mother...
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Could you report back if the Schiphol Schengen Star Alliance lounge is open? Last time I passed it was still shut, with the Aspire lounge (opens at 6am) directly next door accepting all displaced *A folk.

Thanks!
I will swing by to check it out assuming I get through the security. If not, I guess there are worse places to get stuck in than Amsterdam.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like there will be lots of infants/smallies doing a lot more crawling and toddling on their Amsterdam vacation than they expected, with so many strollers abandoned at the carousel!

You ain't seen nothing yet!

T2 Arrivals - random stroller in a random place.

T2 Arrivals bag storage - note mass of strollers and other stuff with wheels on the left. Pic taken from stairs up to T2 Departures.

For some obscure reason customs with sniffer dogs were checking all the trolleys full of things with wheels.

Strewn all over the place. (and note the "RUSH" sign! - at least they have a sense of humor!)

Stacked all over the place.

On the floor.

On the stairs.

And regular luggage all over the place too:

Sorted by airline, by the looks of it.

There was also a very long line of pax patiently waiting to see the single lady at the Swissport counter.

Johan
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
There was also a very long line of pax patiently waiting to see the single lady at the Swissport counter.
I wonder if that's still necessary.

When my wife was separated from her luggage on VIE-AMS on OS she was sent an email where she could fill out the same form that poor woman is giving out to dozens of people.

No guarantee of success, but beats waiting in line I guess.
johan rebel and BA850 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:55 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Could you report back if the Schiphol Schengen Star Alliance lounge is open? Last time I passed it was still shut, with the Aspire lounge (opens at 6am) directly next door accepting all displaced *A folk.

Thanks!
This was reported yesterday (upthread) to be open since August 1st! However a second confirmation and possibly some impressions of the lounge would be great!
It would also be interesting to know if with *A Gold (assuming not flying business) mistytalon will be able to make use of priority security.
irishguy28 and BA850 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by 10271989
How's the luggage handling been going at AMS lately? Will be flying out back to the U.S. from AMS this Friday and been hearing horror stories about bags being lost en-route mainly on connecting flights, but has baggage been reliable for people flying out of AMS back to the U.S.?
Any datapoints for people departing AMS to U.S. with luggage? Any issues or should it be expected that checked luggage may get delayed or lost if departing from AMS?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel

You ain't seen nothing yet!

T2 Arrivals - random stroller in a random place.

T2 Arrivals bag storage - note mass of strollers and other stuff with wheels on the left. Pic taken from stairs up to T2 Departures.

For some obscure reason customs with sniffer dogs were checking all the trolleys full of things with wheels.

Strewn all over the place. (and note the "RUSH" sign! - at least they have a sense of humor!)

Stacked all over the place.

On the floor.

On the stairs.

And regular luggage all over the place too:

Sorted by airline, by the looks of it.

Johan
*Shudder* What happens if my stroller is at least temporarily lost - just buy a cheap stand-in and claim from KLM or our insurance?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL

Thanks!
As mentioned, reports say it's open, of course, good to independently confirm.

Originally Posted by mistytalon
Flying 7AM out of AMS to Zurich tomorrow. I have *G, but I think it's wiser to get there around 3AM and wait at the gate (lounge probably closed) than it is to get there later and get stuck in security somewhere.
*G will give you priority security, arriving at 3AM is totally unnecessary, but I guess suit yourself. Might be worth saving a night at the hotel I guess.

Originally Posted by Solevita
I guess the screen with RUSH on is for departing bags, but what's with the RUSH? When I was in GOT and they found my bag and I asked them to forward it to BLQ, on the note it was "Rush to BLQ". Do they have a non-rush service that delivers bags by road/boat/keep them in storage for a week?
RUSH is the industry code for bags chasing pax.
Solevita likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Is there any chance that the situation improves in the next month or so?
I'm booked through AMS (Schengen-AMS-US) with only 1H30M to connect, in the past this has been tight. Delta has a waiver since May but it's only until August 6 (although they have been extending it week by week). I could connect somewhere else but right now the price difference is big. Has anyone experienced issues with Schengen-US connections lately?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
As already noted in this thread, the capacity of the airport will be lower in September and October than its current capacity. August’s daily capacity of 73,000 dips to just 67,500 in September.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2439164-aanta...a-zomer-omlaag
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: House MD, How I Met Your Mother...
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
*G will give you priority security, arriving at 3AM is totally unnecessary, but I guess suit yourself. Might be worth saving a night at the hotel I guess.
If you had a 7AM flight also, how soon would you get to the airport, considering the current circumstances? Curious as to how much lead time is required.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
I'm booked through AMS (Schengen-AMS-US) with only 1H30M to connect, in the past this has been tight. Delta has a waiver since May but it's only until August 6 (although they have been extending it week by week). I could connect somewhere else but right now the price difference is big. Has anyone experienced issues with Schengen-US connections lately?
The main problems at AMS are with security screening and baggage handling. You only need to clear exit passport control (no security screening) so 90 minutes should be fine. Your main risk is that your inbound flight to AMS is delayed. Early morning flights are mostly on-time.

As already noted in this thread, the capacity of the airport will be lower in September and October than its current capacity. August’s daily capacity of 73,000 dips to just 67,500 in September.
This is the maximum daily number of AMS-origin departing passengers. I don’t think anything has been said about the number of transfer passengers! It is possible that KLM is filling the seats with more transfer passengers than they would do if AMS was operating at full capacity.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
This is the maximum daily number of AMS-origin departing passengers. I don’t think anything has been said about the number of transfer passengers! It is possible that KLM is filling the seats with more transfer passengers than they would do if AMS was operating at full capacity.
I know!

I don't understand why the transfer pax are getting so concerned!

(Other than the days they're told they can't check luggage, and other than the fact that their luggage may not arrive...they're pretty unaffected by the "Mess at Schiphol" )
Sjoerd, Goldorak and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying YYZ-AMS-CPT in September. It appears that KLM stopped selling seats on the AMS-CPT flight on 17th of September (the day I'm flying to CPT). I assume this is part of the reduction in seats allocated from AMS. Should I be worried that the flight will cancel?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:12 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I know!

I don't understand why the transfer pax are getting so concerned!

(Other than the days they're told they can't check luggage, and other than the fact that their luggage may not arrive...they're pretty unaffected by the "Mess at Schiphol" )
My main concern was that because back in 2019, when AMS was supposed to be smooth, I waited over an hour to clear immigration leaving the Schengen space, around the same time as I was rebooked now. But now that it has been clarified that there aren't issues with the connections, I'm no longer concerned.
mpkz likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My main concern was that because back in 2019, when AMS was supposed to be smooth, I waited over an hour to clear immigration leaving the Schengen space, around the same time as I was rebooked now. But now that it has been clarified that there aren't issues with the connections, I'm no longer concerned.
In case of delays to your inbound, pick up a short connection pass upon arrival at AMS, and use the short connections lane.
SDQBound and BA850 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.