Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Started really missing working moving walkways at AMS.
I must confess that I don't miss them at all. But then I'm a very fast walker, and actually appreciate a bit of exercise between sitting in the lounge and sitting on a plane. Those walkways are often not any faster either, because 90% of those who use them immediately come to a full stop, and then stand like immobile statues blocking the way until the "mind your step" lady brings them back to life again. Except for those who fall flat on their faces, which I should probably not admit to finding entertaining.

Johan
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Both entities are too big to fail anyway, so the government will foot the bill somehow.
The taxpayers, in other words.

Johan
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Yeah, but Schiphol is already increasing fees and charges by 37% in three steps until 2024, I figure that's plenty enough.

Johan
Heathrow pulled that stunt at the start of this year, hiking fees by 37% (oddly enough, the same as Schiphol), but in one fell swoop. The CAA gave them permission to do so as an interim measure, but swiftly slapped them with an order to cut fees progressively until 2026, by which time the average should fall to about £26 per person (Heathrow wanted about £41).

In Schiphol’s case, it would be nice to see some tangible improvements before fees are hiked. As things stand, all anyone has secured is a vague promise that things will get better at an indeterminate future date as we wait with bated breath to see who they’ll appoint to replace Benschop.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:24 pm

Welcome to FT.

Are you saying that security in MAN on the way back took 90 minutes? What about Schiphol on the way out?

Johan
Hi and thankyou.

No, 25 mins for Manchester security on departure, 60 mins for Schiphol passport check on arrival, 90 mins for Schiphol security on departure, 15 mins for Manchester passort check on arrival.
johan rebel and atflyer like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA850
In Schiphol’s case, it would be nice to see some tangible improvements before fees are hiked.
Schiphol hasn't promised any in exchange for the fee hikes. On the contrary, they have expressly stated that they are increasing fees to recoup pandemic losses. They have even said that it is equitable to make current users pay for past deficits. I'm not sure I follow their logic.

Johan
BA850 likes this.

Last edited by johan rebel; Sep 18, 2022 at 12:54 am Reason: Syntax
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:50 pm

Schiphol hasn't promised any in exchange for the fee hikes. On the contrary, they have expressly stated that they are increasing fees to recoup pandemic losses. They have even stated that it is equitable to make current users pay for past deficits. I'm not I follow their logic.

Johan
Oh, Heathrow made the same ludicrous claim. The difference is the CAA called their bluff by allowing them an “interim” increase to “cover the losses” and ordering cuts thereafter (pointing out that a rebound in travel demand would see more money flowing through the coffers anyway). Not really what they had in mind
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:23 am

AMS fast this morning.

Walked into the terminal at the Plaza at 0705. Cleared Passport control about 0730. (would have been even quicker if a large flight crew had not slipped in in front of us, and my bag hadn’t been selected for a random wipe down.)
Sat down at Aspire Lounge about 0740.

Carry on bags only.
Premium security (Polaris).

The economy security line sign was showing a 15 minute wait.

Overall, very pleased and surprised.

This Aspire lounge is pretty poor. Very small. We were lucky to get seats at a two top table. Very little food out. Dishes not being replaced. Tables not being cleared.

They’re turning away hordes or people who have some sort of benefit from a credit card or other program. Accepting only premium pax.
Gate keepers are getting beat up by irate economy pax.

I guess it’s better than sitting at the gate for three hours.

And thank you, HADES! Your photos and directions to the Premium security queue was spot on!
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Kensterfly : thank you so much for the effort to report back on the actual situation,
Very glad to hear that everything went ok and that you were able to clear all formalities without any confusion and chaos.

Most information is indeed about T1/T2 but am delighted to find our shared information about T3 could still be helpful to you and others
We, all the posters, at "mess in Amsterdam thread" are very allergic to endless queues and
I especially don't like nonsensical queues that do not provide a free kiss by a gorgeous creature at the end as reward for tackling said queues.....
So glad to be of help!

And yes the T3 Aspire lounge needs to turn away all PriorityPass/CC-schemes passengers because space is very limited during peak travel hours.
Observing those persons being turned away with all emotional outburst is similair in watching episodes of NightCourt, NewsRadio, JustShootMe

It boggles the mind that for Amsterdam's all non-schengen departures T3 + T2 airside there are only two lounges open: KLM 52 (Skyteam) and Aspire (rest) for pax in business class + elites
Hopefully the closed British Airlines lounge will soon be merged with the Aspire Lounge to provide additional speating,
it will be anyone's guess if the extra space will be for all eligable, for business class only, for status-elites only or dedicated for prioritypass/cc scheme passengers only.

Have a safe trip back home and let's hope the sundae cart finally makes its triumphant return to Polaris !

PS: i looked back when you asked your question,
seems you managed to escape last week Q-ruckus just in time
johan rebel likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 19, 2022 at 1:14 am
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:37 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Colleagues flew out of Dep 2 yesterday afternoon and reported about ~1,5 hr from train to having passed passport control. No status whatsoever.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:16 am

Looks like the mess in Amsterdam translated into a brawl in Manchester:

Passengers who were already frustrated by the delay began to viciously attack one another after they were told their luggage was still in Amsterdam by a member of staff.”
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-luggage.html

In some ways, it’s surprising this doesn’t happen more often. In others, it’s disappointing (as a Brit) that when it does, it often seems to involve a flight bound for, or originating, in the UK…
Bogwoppit and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:06 am

In others, it’s disappointing (as a Brit) that when it does, it often seems to involve a flight bound for, or originating, in the UK…
As a Brit, do you think British media would report on airport brawls in other countries?
johan rebel likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
As a Brit, do you think British media would report on airport brawls in other countries?
A fair point, but purely anecdotally, I don’t see all that many similar events reported in the European press, which suggests a lower rate of air rage.

There was also a brawl in the opposite direction earlier this year: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/a...amsterdam/amp/

FWIW, the Daily Mail in particular does report such incidents when they occur in the US.

But back on topic; it’s a reminder that the chaos which starts at Schiphol doesn’t end there.
LETTERBOY and malmostoso like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Looks like the mess in Amsterdam translated into a brawl in Manchester:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-luggage.html

In some ways, it’s surprising this doesn’t happen more often. In others, it’s disappointing (as a Brit) that when it does, it often seems to involve a flight bound for, or originating, in the UK…
anecdotally, and further offtopic, but when I was living in Spain and I saw a bunch of people in a fist fight, 95% chance they were British.

I don't think I ever saw some Belgians , Dutch, French, Spanish or Italians physically fighting (where I was living), only verbally.

On one occasion, what I believe to have been Germans - but the usual suspects were Brits.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat
To comply with Schiphol's last minute demands, 34 KLM flights from AMS will depart empty today, but will return with pax. The pax booked on those flights from AMS were informed late last night they were out of luck.

KLM will repeat this bad joke tomorrow and Monday, but the number of flights affected is not yet known.

Source (in Dutch)

Johan
Any idea where I can find a list which flights get cancelled? I have a flight to Munich on Wednesday and with 5 flights per day I'm guessing one of them would be high on the axe list. So if there's a pattern in some certain flights to be cancelled, I can preemptively rebook myself on a flight with a bigger chance to take off with passengers.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kprrr
So if there's a pattern in some certain flights to be cancelled.
All I can tell you is that on my commute (CPH, not MUC) there has definitely been a pattern this summer. That happened to be to my advantage, as I have had 0% cancelations, but 100% delays.

Johan
kprrr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.