Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Luchtvaartnieuws reports 42 KL cancelations tomorrow, Monday. That must be both outgoing and incoming flights, as a quick check turned up 23 canceled AMS departures. Today they canceled 22.

I'm not quite sure how this actually reduces the number of pax departing from AMS. Unless they all vanish into thin air, they must surely be rebooked on other flights?

Johan
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
To add to Johan's post
https://nos.nl/artikel/2445080-klm-s...rukte-schiphol
KLM zegt te begrijpen dat de annuleringen "ingrijpend" zijn voor de reizigers. Hierbij benadrukt de vliegmaatschappij dat het gaat om overmacht. "Gegeven de korte termijn van Schiphols aankondiging en verzoek kunnen we hierop zeer beperkt anticiperen."

KLM will cancel 42 flights on monday, citing force majeure

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 19, 2022 at 1:14 am
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Absolute mess at AMS this evening. Took me over an hour with Privium card to get through security. Cant imagine what people without priority must have gone through in that line. Stretched faaaaar outside the terminal
johan rebel and BA850 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HadesNL
To add to Johan's post
https://nos.nl/artikel/2445080-klm-s...rukte-schiphol

KLM will cancel 42 flights on monday, cuting force majeure
Hmm. Force Majeur should only really cover extraordinary circumstances.

This isn’t extraordinary, it’s a rolling and predictable farce.
kochleffel and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA850
This isn’t extraordinary, it’s a rolling and predictable farce.
Barnum & Bailey came to town back in April, and they ain't goin' nowhere anytime soon.

Johan
LETTERBOY and BA850 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Luchtvaartnieuws reports 42 KL cancelations tomorrow, Monday. That must be both outgoing and incoming flights, as a quick check turned up 23 canceled AMS departures. Today they canceled 22.

I'm not quite sure how this actually reduces the number of pax departing from AMS. Unless they all vanish into thin air, they must surely be rebooked on other flights?
Not all travel is necessary. My last flight out of AMS was in May. I have a ticket for mid-October which I am quite willing to throw away if the situation hasn’t improved by then.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
Absolute mess at AMS this evening. Took me over an hour with Privium card to get through security. Cant imagine what people without priority must have gone through in that line. Stretched faaaaar outside the terminal
Which terminal did you use?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Not all travel is necessary.
Depends on your definition of necessary. I doubt many people book and pay for flights they would describe as unnecessary from their personal perspective.

In any case, I bet that very few of the pax who were informed late Friday night that their Saturday departure had been canceled greeted the news with outbursts of joy because KLM stopped them from taking a flight that really wasn't necessary. Heck, I bet most of them had already packed their bags and checked in online.

Johan
Bogwoppit and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by thomas199023
Which terminal did you use?
terminal 1 to D gates
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
terminal 1 to D gates
And it took you over an hour to clear security? With Privium? On a Sunday evening? Sheesh!

Johan
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
All I can tell you is that on my commute (CPH, not MUC) there has definitely been a pattern this summer. That happened to be to my advantage, as I have had 0% cancelations, but 100% delays.

Johan
In your experience, which flight(s) is/are the usual suspect to be cancelled? I haven't been flying the last two months, but it's picking up again.

I usually fly the KL1124/1126/1128 ex CPH and only had the KL1130 so far cancelled on me a few months ago. I'm booked on KL1130 in 2 weeks again.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by b12e
In your experience, which flight(s) is/are the usual suspect to be cancelled? I haven't been flying the last two months, but it's picking up again.

I usually fly the KL1124/1126/1128 ex CPH and only had the KL1130 so far cancelled on me a few months ago. I'm booked on KL1130 in 2 weeks again.
KL1130. Eager to make an EC261/2004 claim?

KL1130 is the good pick on the route if wanting to try to play the EC261/2004 game with KL flight cancellation on a discretionary trip out of CPH. KL1124 is a bad pick if wanting to try to play the same game.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:21 pm

And it took you over an hour to clear security? With Privium? On a Sunday evening? Sheesh!

Johan
Absolutely! I have never seen something like this before. There even was a massive queue in front of the stairs towards priority security. Luckily I could skip that with Privium, but still had to queue for an hour upstairs.

There was a family with a crying baby in front of me and staff did not let them skip the line. Various argued with the staff multiple times until they finally let them through.

In the regular queue for security people said they had been queueing for up to 4 hours. People seemed desperate and some about to miss their flight. That caused some angry people and the was quite some yelling and visible annoyance every now and then, until security guards (with their big big guns) stepped in
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
KL1130 is a good pick if wanting to try to play the EC261/2004 game with airline flight cancellation on a discretionary trip. KL1124 is a bad pick if wanting to try to play the same game.
KL1124 really never gets cancelled, even if KL1139 gets cancelled. I've definitely noticed that over the spring months.

I'm definitely not in "the game" for EU261 claims. I fly because I need to be somewhere at a specific time, and cancellations only jeopardize that goal. EU261 is not a reward but a compensation, and I value my time higher than what EU261 would compensate (and so does my employer).

in this case, I need to be in AMS for a connecting flight and KL1132 would be risky given recent delays but KL1124/1126/1128 would be way too early. It's already a 4 hour layover as it is.

And as much as I like airports, AMS is not on my list of favorite airports - not since they made the whole thing smoke free and wanting to go for a smoke means having to go through security, which even with Privium is a bit of a hassle.
BA850 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by b12e
I need to be in AMS for a connecting flight and KL1132 would be risky given recent delays but KL1124/1126/1128 would be way too early.
KL1131 is almost guaranteed to have luggage issues resulting in delays. I regularly have a perfect ringside view from 2F or so of the (lack of) action, which generally only starts well after I've taken my seat, and then proceeds at whatever pace one or two bag handlers without any sense of urgency can manage. Needless to say, this has repercussions for KL1132's punctuality (it arrived 2h6m late yesterday, Sunday). On the other hand, those flights are rarely canceled.

KL1127/28 are a pretty safe bet. Cancelations almost unheard of, and although frequently delayed, they still outperform 1131/32.

1129/30 and 1133/34 are more likely to be canceled than the other AMS-CPH-AMS flights. Fortunately, I'm a 1128/1131 kind of guy.

As an aside, I'm fully aware that weird people do weird things, but it's quite beyond me why anybody would book flights to "to try to play the EC261/2004 game". That's just nuts. EC261 in certain circumstances entitles pax to monetary compensation for problems that any sane person would much prefer to avoid. It's not a betting game.

Johan
b12e likes this.

Last edited by johan rebel; Sep 18, 2022 at 4:38 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.