Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
Absolutely! I have never seen something like this before.
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, huh?

The reputational damage to Schiphol must be pretty much beyond repair by now, with that of KLM suffering as a consequence (although KLM has plenty of (staffing) issues of its own making. I bet they find it really convenient to be able to point the finger of blame at the airport).

Johan
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Thanks for the insight and confirmation.

It's 15 days out, I'm going to leave it as it is for now and if they'd cancel move it to an earlier flight. I still have 24/26/28 as options, and while I'd rather spend the time in Copenhagen, I can deal with needing to move the time a little earlier if it has to be.

I do see the risk though.

I'm booking KL1126 for my November and December flights just to be on the safe(r) side.

Last edited by b12e; Sep 18, 2022 at 4:30 pm
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by b12e
KL1124 really never gets cancelled, even if KL1139 gets cancelled. I've definitely noticed that over the spring months.

I'm definitely not in "the game" for EU261 claims. I fly because I need to be somewhere at a specific time, and cancellations only jeopardize that goal. EU261 is not a reward but a compensation, and I value my time higher than what EU261 would compensate (and so does my employer).

in this case, I need to be in AMS for a connecting flight and KL1132 would be risky given recent delays but KL1124/1126/1128 would be way too early. It's already a 4 hour layover as it is.

And as much as I like airports, AMS is not on my list of favorite airports - not since they made the whole thing smoke free and wanting to go for a smoke means having to go through security, which even with Privium is a bit of a hassle.
KL1134 is either the runner-up or close to the runner-up to KL1130 in terms of cancellations on this route during the last two months. But it sounds like you’re not interested in that evening flight given onward connection interest.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 18, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KL1124 really never gets cancelled, even if KL1139 gets cancelled.
Wonder how that works, because the aircraft that flies in as 1139 flies out as 1124 the following morning, albeit with a different crew.

KL1124 has a sterling punctuality record, by the way: 0% cancelations and 100% on time. KL1139 is pretty much on time most of the time, and has not been canceled once in the past two months.

Johan
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Wonder how that works, because the aircraft that flies in as 1139 flies out as 1124 the following morning, albeit with a different crew.

KL1124 has a sterling punctuality record, by the way: 0% cancelations and 100% on time. KL1139 is pretty much on time most of the time, and has not been canceled once in the past two months.

Johan
when 1139 gets cancelled. 1133(?) stays and becomes 1124. I’ve seen it happen in June I believe. Might have been April.

I love 1124 - but I love my bed more.

Edit: needless to say, when 1133 stays, 1134 gets cancelled.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by b12e; Sep 18, 2022 at 4:54 pm
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when 1139 gets cancelled. 1133(?) stays and becomes 1124.
The 1133 crew would operate 1124 anyway, but if the aircraft stays they have to cancel 1134, and have a whole crew stuck in Copenhagen to boot. Bet they only cancel 1129 in extremis.

I love 1124 - but I love my bed more.

I avoid very early flights like the plague, but sometimes they're the only option if there are connections to be made, or else the safest bet when inclement weather is expected. When CPH or AMS are covered by a blanket of pea-soup fog, just about everything comes to a halt, but aircraft already on the ground since the previous evening usually depart on schedule. In any case there's no way I can catch such early flights without staying the previous night at an airport hotel. The AMS airside Mercure works great, the CPH Clarion will do the job (but the prison next door is terrible).

Johan
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:33 pm

The 1133 crew would operate 1124 anyway, but if the aircraft stays they have to cancel 1134, and have a whole crew stuck in Copenhagen to boot. Bet they only cancel 1129 in extremis.

I avoid very early flights like the plague, but sometimes they're the only option if there are connections to be made, or else the safest bet when inclement weather is expected. When CPH or AMS are covered by a blanket of pea-soup fog, just about everything comes to a halt, but aircraft already on the ground since the previous evening usually depart on schedule. In any case there's no way I can catch such early flights without staying the previous night at an airport hotel. The AMS airside Mercure works great, the CPH Clarion will do the job (but the prison next door is terrible).

Johan
I strategically chose my place of residence in function of places I frequently need to be at, which is the office in Copenhagens Indre By, and the airport. Hence, living on Amager. Getting to the airport is 3 metro stops away.

but yeah, I try to avoid 1124 too, unless, as you say, there's no alternative. 1124 still beats flying in the evening before and having to spend a night in Amsterdam or Schiphol.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Would that be a good way to judge whether a flight gets cancelled in this mess? Take a look at its history to see whether it has gotten cancelled before?

I've got an upcoming flight AMS-PRG on Oct 2 on KLM, and it's causing some anxiety as to what will happen. (Right now it just looks like delays to that flight for the past week. If so, no big deal, I'm just worried it'll get cancelled) No Skypriority and no "Privium" or whatever you call it. It's an afternoon departure so no "get up before crack of dawn to catch the plane" (which may have been the better decision since it sounds like the afternoons are the problem here), and well, waiting for 4-5 hours is better than having the flight cancel on me which is my big big concern. I do also have an Easyjet ticket for a flight 2 hours after the KLM flight since that is what I initially booked before wanting to get to PRG earlier in the day... I should be okay?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 9:08 pm

Transiting through AMS on Sep 30th, LAX - AMS- Delhi flight with KLM, no priority or special status etc. Hoping that the transit experience is not too bad. I have a 4.5 hour layover. Fingers crossed!
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
And it took you over an hour to clear security? With Privium? On a Sunday evening? Sheesh!

Johan
[MENTION=7775]Johan[/MENTION] What would be the best queue for Schengen security with Privium in your opinion?
I mostly fly non-schengen, but have a flight to Italy next week, so would be good to know.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 1:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by newbiegal
Transiting through AMS on Sep 30th, LAX - AMS- Delhi flight with KLM, no priority or special status etc. Hoping that the transit experience is not too bad. I have a 4.5 hour layover. Fingers crossed!
Assuming the AMS-LAX flight doesnt arrive in LAX very late and LAX-AMS manages to depart with less than a two hour delay, 4.5 hours of scheduled transit on the ground at AMS on a US-AMS-DEL route is generally way more than enough time for passengers to make the connection.

I wouldnt want to count on checked-in luggage making the same AMS-DEL flight as the passenger on US-AMS-DEL routes and Id definitely drop in an AirTag+TilePro tracker into any checked-in luggage nowadays for such a route. But even during this year of messes at AMS, 3-4 hours for the US-checked-in luggage to make the DEL-bound connection at AMS seems to work way more commonly than it doesnt.
newbiegal likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Goldeneyeuro
Would that be a good way to judge whether a flight gets cancelled in this mess? Take a look at its history to see whether it has gotten cancelled before?

I've got an upcoming flight AMS-PRG on Oct 2 on KLM, and it's causing some anxiety as to what will happen. (Right now it just looks like delays to that flight for the past week. If so, no big deal, I'm just worried it'll get cancelled) No Skypriority and no "Privium" or whatever you call it. It's an afternoon departure so no "get up before crack of dawn to catch the plane" (which may have been the better decision since it sounds like the afternoons are the problem here), and well, waiting for 4-5 hours is better than having the flight cancel on me which is my big big concern. I do also have an Easyjet ticket for a flight 2 hours after the KLM flight since that is what I initially booked before wanting to get to PRG earlier in the day... I should be okay?
Well, there's never a "100% sure" way of predicting which flight KLM would cancel, if any. But if it does get cancelled, KLM is obligated to get you to your destination one way or another.

If you still have the easyjet flight, then you should be fine. Please be aware Easyjet generally uses the M terminal which doesn't appear to have the same issues as the main terminal building (departures 1-3).
johan rebel likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: FB Gold
Traveling AMS to Riga on October 20. Flight has KL number but is carried out by Air Baltic.
I am FB Gold, so normally have SP advantages. Will I have SP access to security on a flight carried out by Air Baltic but with KL flight number?

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thomas199023
[MENTION=7775]Johan[/MENTION] What would be the best queue for Schengen security with Privium in your opinion?
I'm afraid I really can't tell you. During this mess I used the stairs up to the mezzanine in T2 next to door F once at the beginning, since then only the "back door" access in the far-right corner of the Sky Priority check-in area (the one close to the Privium Club Lounge entrance). It has always worked fine for me, in the sense that it has been doable given the current crazy-as-a-Bessie-bug situation. I only occasionally fly from T3, it's only when I'm on UA (not since they ditched Global First), TK or very occasionally EY. Haven't been there at all this year.

Johan
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
the DEL-bound connection at AMS seems to work way more commonly than it doesnt.
Neither here nor there advice like this is in no way helpful. Not everything is what is seems, and what is " way more commonly" anyway?

Are you just guessing, do you have extensive personal experience of travel on this route, or are you perhaps privy to the relevant KLM luggage stats? If you have anecdotal or factual evidence to back up your claim, then please provide the details here.

The whole purpose of this thread is to assist AMS travelers in navigating the Schiphol trainwreck in the best possible way, by providing topical, precise, accurate and reliable information; based on either personal (and preferably frequent) experience, or on information from factual and trustworthy sources.

It's all about the facts, idle speculation from a thousand miles or whatever away just gums the whole thread up.

Johan
irishguy28, FlyingRVS and Solevita like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.