Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Old Sep 20, 22, 7:17 am

Programs: AC E35 / Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JeffersonCampervan View Post
I usually fly YYZ - AMS on KLM with our dog in the hold. I've had to consider other airlines when travelling with the dog, since for some inscrutable reason KLM won't take dogs on their 787s - and starting mid-Covid flights from Toronto are mostly 787s.

So I'm booked to fly December 1 YYZ - AMS on Air Canada (paradoxically on a 787) with our dog, returning January 23.

​​​We cancelled our summer trip deeming the chaos at both airports too risky for the dog, especially in the summer heat.

I assume Air Canada has different baggage subcontractors? Do you think our dog is ​​​​in better hands with AC?
Has anyone heard any reports of incidents at Schiphol regarding dog handling?

Thanks - sorry for the Non-KLM content.
AC uses Swissport, just passed through today and noticed a cart of UA/AC delayed baggage on a Swissport cart. Others can confirm (this is my first KLM flight), but I assume KLM self-handles at AMS.
JeffersonCampervan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 7:17 am

Programs: AC E35 / Marriott Gold
I usually fly YYZ - AMS on KLM with our dog in the hold. I've had to consider other airlines when travelling with the dog, since for some inscrutable reason KLM won't take dogs on their 787s - and starting mid-Covid flights from Toronto are mostly 787s.

So I'm booked to fly December 1 YYZ - AMS on Air Canada (paradoxically on a 787) with our dog, returning January 23.

​​​We cancelled our summer trip deeming the chaos at both airports too risky for the dog, especially in the summer heat.

I assume Air Canada has different baggage subcontractors? Do you think our dog is ​​​​in better hands with AC?

Thanks - sorry for the Non-KLM content.
AC uses Swissport, just passed through today and noticed a cart of UA/AC delayed baggage on a Swissport cart. Others can confirm (this is my first KLM flight), but I assume KLM self-handles at AMS.
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other week I was enjoying cabin window views of the slow-motion spectacle of bags being loaded onto our plane. In the background there was a forlorn bag trailer, which looked pretty much orphaned. After some time, the ramp supervisor in charge of our flight ambled over, lifted the tarp, and found a few bags plus two pet travel crates containing a cat and a dog. When they had finished loading, the leftover bags (i.e. the ones destined for other flights than ours, that had been loaded on the wrong trailers) were chucked on the trailer with the pet crates, which was then carted off somewhere. Where those unfortunate animals came from, how long that trailer had been parked in the full sun, and where they finally ended up are questions I can't answer.

Johan
JeffersonCampervan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I'm sorry about KLM, because it was one of the few airlines that I actually still liked and respected. What is happening at AMS airport is completely UNACCEPTABLE.
The airport's self-inflicted disaster is rightly what people focus on, but I have no doubt that KLM very much prefers that the spotlight is kept steadily shining on Schiphol, in the hope that the airline's own failings will get less attention, or even be attributed to the airport.

The combination of Privium & HBO has ensured that the experience for me this summer has been pretty much normal as far as the airport side of things is concerned. On departure maybe an extra 10 minutes or so in the security queue, and 1-2 hours longer in the lounge due to precautionary early arrival the airport, but that's it. No issues whatsoever on arrival. However, KLM has managed to delay 100% of my flights, which I'm pretty sure is almost entirely a consequence of checked luggage mismanagement. On all flights from AMS personal observation has confirmed this, and all flights to AMS have been delayed due to late incoming aircraft. Pretty safe bet that luggage problems wholly or partially caused many of those.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Sep 21, 22 at 3:12 am Reason: typos
Old Sep 20, 22, 12:55 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
It has been under construction for ages, and its function is obviously to enhance the esthetic experience at Schiphol. Who wants to look at airplanes anyway? Rather cheer up all those slogging from B to C or vice versa with grand views of an architectural masterpiece that puts the Stedelijk Museum to shame.

Fortunately, for part of the distance you only have to turn your head the other way for some entirely free world-class entertainment in the form of great views of all the poor sods standing in that endless tent line.

Johan
Not to mention the god-only-knows-what's-it-for bridge right in front of the NS KLM lounge. Like it's not like watching airplanes on the apron is one of the few things to do to alleviate boredom a the airport.

Originally Posted by EuroFlash View Post
Absolutely! I have never seen something like this before. There even was a massive queue in front of the stairs towards priority security. Luckily I could skip that with Privium, but still had to queue for an hour upstairs.

There was a family with a crying baby in front of me and staff did not let them skip the line. Various argued with the staff multiple times until they finally let them through.

In the regular queue for security people said they had been queueing for up to 4 hours. People seemed desperate and some about to miss their flight. That caused some angry people and the was quite some yelling and visible annoyance every now and then, until security guards (with their big big guns) stepped in
I've never seen a line longer than a couple people... presumably you went up behind the KLM SP area, right? And it was still somehow an hour? That's crazy.

I will need to check next week whether the Privium gates at Dep 1 entry on the far side of checkin counters are still open.

Even more hopefully, the bags will just pop up on the belt on arrival.

Johan
For me the ideal solution is when a bag magically appears next day after arrival, so I don't have to take it with me from the airport. A risky proposal though.

The airport's self-inflicted disaster is rightly what people focus on, but I have no doubt that KLM very much prefers that the spotlight ris kept steadily shining at Schiphol, in the hope that the airline's own failings will get less attention, or even be attributed to the airport.

The combination of Privium & HBO has ensured that the experience for me this summer has been pretty much normal as far as the airport sided of things is concerned. On departure maybe an extra 10 minutes or so in the security queue, and 1-2 hours longer in the lounge due to precautionary early arrival the airport, but that's it. No issues whatsoever on arrival. However, KLM has managed to delay 100% of my flights, which I'm pretty sure is almost entirely a consequence of checked luggage mismanagement. On all flights from AMS personal observation has confirmed this, and all flights to AMS have been delayed due to late incoming aircraft. Pretty safe bet that luggage problems wholly or partially caused many of those.

Johan
I have not been on a not delayed flight for a long time as well. Luckily most of them were not significant delays. Hopefully it will stay so.
Old Sep 20, 22, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
The airlines have to get their act together, all of them. The delays are ludicrous and unacceptable too. I really am looking at alternatives in Europe, even for relatively long stretches, such as the train or even flying private from small airports. This last option is a real pleasure, but it is not cheap. The trouble with the train is, you lose a day going and a day coming.

I don't understand what has happened to KLM. It was an example of efficiency and good service until now, a standout among the other airlines. Why has it nose dived like all the other ones? They really all copy each other, don't they?
Old Sep 21, 22, 4:11 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Trains I would not mind using on a lot of my travels, but they are just as expensive as airplanes for long distances and unless you hit on the right route, slow.
Driving is an option, but while flexible and depending on what car you have comfortable, it's expensive and limiting for parking, ability to have a drink etc.
Flying private would be pretty good but hella expensive.

KLM used to be quite punctual except that it was susceptible to weather chaos due to the situation at AMS.

Nowadays, the airline can't do much because of handling delays, pax missing flights because of security is one thing, but if it takes one guy two hours to unload and load the baggage, and you don't have 2 guys, then an hours turnaround is not possible.
Old Sep 21, 22, 4:32 am

Programs: FB Plat, All Accor Silver
Don't really want to start a new thread, but KL is having a webinar right now. They'll talk about all the mess, among other things. I think it's "Nordics" oriented.

It's likely they won't have to say anything new though - likely more "sorry for the mess" and "sustainability"

Edit: AF/KL will allow "stopover" flights if flying AF/KL metal (eg Stockholm->Amsterdam, stay there for a week, then continue on to New York, at the same cost as Stockholm->Amsterdam->New York with a regular layover of <24 hours).

For STE / STE+ members, they're changing the seat model - comparable to Delta. Platinum will remain to be able to select any seat at time of booking for free, but free for Gold members STD-72, and Silver STD-24, rather than discounted.

For Ulti's, the old Blu restaurant in L52 in AMS will become Ultimate space.
Gajan, Goldorak, Xandrios and 6 others like this.

Last edited by b12e; Sep 21, 22 at 5:11 am
Old Sep 21, 22, 4:56 am

I got a flight change for Oct 20th. I am doing YUL-AMS-GLA, had a 90 minute connections, now all day flights have gone and I am rebooked on the 13.35 GLA flight. I planned a short, timewise, connection, as I knew I would have not have time to leave the airport for a fun time in the city. SO now I have a 6 hour layover, do I spring for the lounge and relax, and hope they let me stay there all day, or do I chance going into the city, or Leiden etc? Any thought. Silver status, but that will not help me at all flying Y.
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:03 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit View Post
I got a flight change for Oct 20th. I am doing YUL-AMS-GLA, had a 90 minute connections, now all day flights have gone and I am rebooked on the 13.35 GLA flight. I planned a short, timewise, connection, as I knew I would have not have time to leave the airport for a fun time in the city. SO now I have a 6 hour layover, do I spring for the lounge and relax, and hope they let me stay there all day, or do I chance going into the city, or Leiden etc? Any thought. Silver status, but that will not help me at all flying Y.
Thats an easy one. Lounge. Without priority you need to be back at Schiphol 4 hours before your GLA flight.
Bogwoppit and BA850 like this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA-1P AB-Gold SPG-Plat Hilton-DIA Hyatt-DIA PC-Gold MR-Plat Hertz-PC
12:00 pm today. Even quite a line for Privium/Priority. Moving pretty ok, I estimate 20 minutes. No separation of sky priority and Privium unfortunately

edit this is priority security 1/2 near sky priority check in.

edit: 25-30 minutes from checking to lounge.

HadesNL, Maestro Ramen and BA850 like this.

Last edited by thomas199023; Sep 21, 22 at 5:45 am
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
That’s an easy one. Lounge. Without priority you need to be back at Schiphol 4 hours before your GLA flight.
The lounge it is, sadly only the Aspire one, assuming I can get in at all. I had visions of a nice self guided tour around Leiden, but ah well.
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit View Post
Unless playing a game of some sort or another to get priority access for security screening at AMS on the return from a land-side jaunt at AMS, half to two-thirds or more of the six hours may turn out to be just what is required to deal with the passenger security screening hassle on some days. And also eating into the time can be the time to deal with AMS passport control on arrival and on departure.

How far AMS has fallen when even a six hour layover is no longer generally sufficient time to go in for an easy, rather worry-free city jaunt during a layover.
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:06 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate
Originally Posted by b12e View Post
For Ulti's, the old Blu restaurant in L52 in AMS will become Ultimate space.
I believe Lipsey was talking about the already reserved tables at the second floor.
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:46 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Location: AMSTERDAM = one of those attic homes with steepstaircases of death
Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
b12e : that is interesting news!
The old Blue restaurant is a nice decorated space, has a seperated feeling from the rest of lounge being on the top level of the escalators.
so could perfectly serve as an FB Ultimate only lounge.
I could never make Ulti but glad to see that there is some effort to offer a dedicated space!
b12e likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 21, 22 at 6:55 am

Search this Thread