Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by sbrower
Hopefully that is 2 hours too much. We are flying KLM LAX-AMS-MXP, business, with one hour and ten minutes connection time in August.
You should be fine. The non-schengen to schengen queues airside aren't bad these days. KLM does make an effort for people who fly in J to make their connecting flight as well, at least based on my experience.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Data point for today Thursday 28th, 2h10 connection NS-S just after noon. Arrival from ‘unclean’ non-Schengen origin 20’ ahead of schedule, but due to the assigned gate still being occupied by another aircraft we had to park and wait. Finally deplaned at scheduled arrival time, 13:00. Proceeded to a long walk (from end of pier E) to security, no priority segregation, but not *that* bad - three belts open with about a dozen people on each of them, very little (if anything) sent to secondary. Were through by 13:25 and walked to passport control: no automatic gates open, but the segregated EU line was empty. Quite the line for all other passports though not spilling out of the tensa-barriers. Between the walk and the non wait we were through by 13:30, now camping at lounge 25.

By the way, no huisjes were given out during the long haul due to the trolley not having been loaded…
Xandrios and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by FlyingCow

By the way, no huisjes were given out during the long haul due to the trolley not having been loaded…
Such a shame! Maybe you can claim one in the lounge ;-)
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:34 am

So they extended the free rebooking flight deadline until 6 August. Why until a Saturday and not a Sunday? Just causes more problems. And of course the rebooking is not shown as free online so I'd have to call the hotline.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by ArnoldB
So they extended the free rebooking flight deadline until 6 August. Why until a Saturday and not a Sunday? Just causes more problems. And of course the rebooking is not shown as free online so I'd have to call the hotline.
Probably because then they can extend it again next week until the 13th.

Edit: this was obviously a joke / non-answer. fabo.sk's answer is the one you're looking for.

Last edited by b12e; Jul 28, 2022 at 11:48 am
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Because global ticketing is running on American guts and week begins Sunday.

Same reason why winter and summer schedules flip between sat and sun night.
b12e likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:48 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Has anybody tried the free rebooking option on an award flight? Since there shouldn't be a fare difference I'm guessing there would also not be a difference in points. Flying in two weeks from now, if the current rule is extended that may be a nice way to extend the trip by a few days if we feel like it..
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Has anybody tried the free rebooking option on an award flight? Since there shouldn't be a fare difference I'm guessing there would also not be a difference in points. Flying in two weeks from now, if the current rule is extended that may be a nice way to extend the trip by a few days if we feel like it..
I did change date and departure airport (within 300 mi) for an award flight (economy) back in June. At the time everything went quickly and smoothly. I called the FB line from the USA and I don't even think I was put on hold. No change fee and I was able to select seats for free after the change happened even though I am just a base member (no status).

Unfortunately, I am not convinced that things would operate similarly if one were to try that now.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KLM currently blocks seats on its flights to accommodate pax who have missed their original flight due to the Schiphol Summer Clown Show. Turns out the catering system can't cope with this. Although most of the blocked seats are filled at short notice, this is not taken into account when the aircraft are catered. Last minute orders have then to be placed for the missing meals, which can cause departure delays.

Source (in Dutch)

Johan
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:30 am

Good reasonably calm morning from Schiphol.

Lot of people milling about, but the airport feels almost normal today. I arrived at T-1:35 by train, proceeded to Departures 1. New development is that stairs were blocked, lift however remains an option to bypass checkers.

Catastrophic numbers of 30-35 for priority security one had me leave Club lounge a bit earlier than usual, however what I found was line for Schengen security not even reaching the stairs, let alone outside. Wait time indicated about 20-25 minutes, about right. Non-Schengen side was the worse one, with lines reaching along the back wall all the way past closed entrance for Dep1 - about check in row 5-6.

Upstairs from SP entrance, prio pax channelled left and over. 10 or so people ahead of me, 3x3 trays loading, quite fast actually. Reasonable amounts of secondary, mine not among them. Total security <10 minutes. I'm happy with the result.
Exit passport control another bottleneck, line almost to the point of entry to the shortcut to lounges.

Transfer exit passport control looked fine though. I'd suggest looking at that if flying NS.

Now to figure out why we are not boarding yet 20 minutes after expected start time. I really hope the plane is not going tech, as it's chock full and I don't like my chances of finding another seat today.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Turned up at 9:20 for an easyJet flight from D3/H - queue started downstairs but was moving fine. 38 minutes to clear security with one bag to secondary so the bloke could barely glance at my (wife’s) toiletries. Let her head off to the longish border line - 9 minutes (US passport so e-gates) for her, only beat her by four as a lady was having a grilling by the Marechaussee and I have to have my passport examined due to Brexit.

Most disorganised part of the whole thing is the lack of clear directions as you enter the departures hall - lines everywhere and very much not obvious where to go if you’re HBO and don’t need to visit a desk first. Could be far worse.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by etiene
Let her head off to the longish border line - 9 minutes (US passport so e-gates) for her, only beat her by four as a lady was having a grilling by the Marechaussee and I have to have my passport examined due to Brexit.
I assume you are British. I think you could have joined your wife at the e-gates (for Schengen exit).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
I assume you are British. I think you could have joined your wife at the e-gates (for Schengen exit).
I used Privium at the border, just that it wasn’t that much quicker due to my countrymen’s prior actions meaning the gate always has to send me to see the Marechaussee.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
No, unfortunately UK passport holders are currently not admitted to e-gates.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
No, unfortunately UK passport holders are currently not admitted to e-gates.
For exiting Schengen at AMS, UK passport holders are allowed to use the e-Gates when and where these are in use (but they must additionally get their passport stamped by the KMar employee standing at a lectern, stamp in hand, just beyond the gates to intercept all Brits. (Perhaps if this position is unmanned, the option for UK passport holders to use the e-gates is switched off...However, I have seen UK passport holders departing AMS use the eGates in the manner I have described many times now. I have also had to queue to leave AMS to use the booth when the eGates were all closed off for everybody).

Upon arrival at AMS from outside Schengen, UK passport holders must queue to show their passport at the booth; arrival e-Gates are not for UK passport holders.
Sjoerd and BA850 like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 29, 2022 at 4:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.