Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:42 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I asked Privium.

1. The minimum age for a Privium membership is 12.
2. Privium members may guest children into the lounges, either with a guest voucher or upon payment of the applicable fee, but always at the discretion of the lounge agent on duty.
3. "Very young children" (infants and toddlers, presumably) will never be admitted.

Johan
Interesting to know,
Smart move of Privium to keep the lounge ambiance safe&sane.

As ours are both at least 16+, we will see what SQ will reply back about the Aspire VS Privium lounge west situation.

I can dare say my lads are well-behaved to enter any lounge,
as with modern technology and earplugs,
they live in a world of their own and are completely zoned out
to busy occupied with mobile devices to cause any ruckus !

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 21, 2022 at 8:51 am
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:02 am

Question - do we know if and what is actually being done by the airport management to reduce the problems? Are they currently recruiting and security schooling new staff? If so, then that would have to have an impact at some point, no?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Captain on KL1932 just announced a 45 min ATC slot delay. Crosswinds it seems…

looks like single runway arrivals on RWY 27 is in effect.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by ArnoldB
Question - do we know if and what is actually being done by the airport management to reduce the problems? Are they currently recruiting and security schooling new staff? If so, then that would have to have an impact at some point, no?
Every major hub in Europe is doing so, but candidates are hard to find (shortage of willing workers), and security clearance takes months.

No amelioration in sight for at least 2-3 months.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlin32
Every major hub in Europe is doing so, but candidates are hard to find (shortage of willing workers), and security clearance takes months.
Yet CPH saw the problem coming, started recruiting in good time, and doesn't have any major problems.

Johan
b12e likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Yet CPH saw the problem coming, started recruiting in good time, and doesn't have any major problems.

Johan
May in cph was also messy at times. But nowhere near as bad as other hubs.

As of June, it's really fine in CPH, no real issues.

edit: just saw this on r/Copenhagen on Reddit: https://reddit.com/r/copenhagen/comm...airport_today/

Last edited by b12e; Jul 22, 2022 at 10:57 am
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:50 pm

Flew AMS-BER sunday 11th. KLM had everything manned that they could. Took me 110 minutes to clear the line to security. About 80% of the stations were manned. No luggage issues. Back on friday afternoon without any issues in BER or AMS. Did notice at least 300 pieces of luggage standing aside belt 8 that looked like they'd been there for some time.

Dropped a family member off on the 19th for AMS-ICN. An hour before the desks opened there was already a big holding queue. Once opened it took korean a little under an hour to process all the pax for an A330 working with just 6 stations open. According to the family member it took them about 50 minutes to clear security in departures 3.

Airport felt a little bit more organized than I'd expected. They've done what they could with queue management and there was plenty of regular and extra staff around. But it's still extremely busy.
malmostoso likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by b12e
May in cph was also messy at times. But nowhere near as bad as other hubs.

As of June, it's really fine in CPH, no real issues.
I was at CPH a lot in May, and even the messiest days in May and at other times this year at CPH have been a relative breeze when comparing to the messes I’ve seen go on with non-priority security screening passengers at AMS, ARN and elsewhere. I don’t know anyone with a 2+ hour time to clear security at CPH this year. Even 45 minutes was on the very high end there for regular screening at the busiest times.

Maybe a big reason CPH isn’t as messy is because the massive cruise crowds aren’t back to pre-2020 levels and the airport pays better than some other airports? They are operating in a market with very tight labor conditions and yet CPH is no worse at its extremes with security lines than I would see there at times before the pandemic.

That I have even been more willing to book LHR transit and LHR start trips this year just speaks to how messed up things have gotten at too many of the airports in Europe that have four or more US airports served with legacy major non-stop service.

AMS is in a league by itself in being a mess like it is this year.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 21, 2022 at 1:16 pm
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Maybe a big reason CPH isn’t as messy is because the massive cruise crowds aren’t back to pre-2020 levels.
Those crowds are conspicuous, but not really massive. Even during a really busy cruise season Copenhagen averages less than one turnaround a day, so a couple of thousand pax. That's only a few percent of the total number of daily pax at Kastrup. The big reason CPH isn't as messy is simply that they planned ahead and got their act together while the rest had their heads stuck in the sand. In the first half of this month the SK strike will of course have been a major factor.

Johan
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That I have even been more willing to book LHR transit and LHR start trips this year.
That's because of LHR's more than stellar track record this year?

Johan
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:11 pm
Suspended

CPH is not as messy because of a lot of things, including that they don’t get as extremely messy (at the screening checkpoint) even historically as bigger TATL gateways in Europe. And since it has been the cruise traffic that contributed massively to pound CPH with the security screening checkpoint crowds at those times when it’s been at its most extreme worst for me during the second and third quarters pre-2020, the cruise traffic relative absence of such in 2022 matters much too. It matters with regard to security screening and even with regard to passport control. It also matters with regard to baggage at CPH.

Among the major European TATL gateways, AMS takes the opposite prize of the “most improved player”, and so even bad LHR looks better in comparison than AMS under the circumstances of relevance to me. AMS is in a league by itself in being a mess like it is this year. That I am picking LHR more for transits despite the extra security screenings involved in flying via LHR is a function also of the AMS mess.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 21, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:25 pm
Suspended

This thread indicates otherwise: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...-thread-4.html
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Arrived today at 4:45 for a 7:00 Schengen departure. People were already queued up under the tents but it seemed to be moving ok.

Entered through door F and went to the backside of SkyPriority to go up the stairs. No barrier, no one checking boarding passes. Once we got through the scanner there was someone checking everyone for SP and turning back anyone who snuck up there.

The normal line seemed horrendous but they had, from what I could tell, every station open. We got through in about 10 min. Not many bags going to secondary. Mine did. Apparently they didn't like the magazine I have in my bag and swabbed it.

All up, 15min from the cab to the lounge. Lounge is quite empty at the moment but I'm sure that'll change.

Without priority I couldn't imagine how long it'd take. The queue just to begin to go up the stairs and into the incredibly long, snaking queue was scary long.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Data point for Friday, July 22nd > Peak Day

UA908 to ORD in C-Class departing at 11am. Checked in online, Travel Ready on mobile boarding pass, only hand luggage.

Dropped of car at P6 at 7:15.
Entered T3 from Plaza at 7:20, checks before the walkway upstairs.
Made a sharp right towards T2 and managed to get to the SP Security Entrance near Privium Lounge.
10 pax in front, most sent away since boarding passes/privileges were checked before going upstairs.
Priority security upstairs with 3 lanes open, waiting time roughly 10 minutes, one bag to secondary.
Waiting time at automated passport gates roughly 15 minutes.
Exited passport control at 08:00.
Entered Aspire lounge at 08:04, lounge completely crowded, only business class customers and *G members allowed in, no Priority Pass or other cards.
Special section for SIA pax closed of by tensabarrier.

A big thank you to all in this thread, especially Johan Rebel!

Last edited by Yoshi DUS; Jul 22, 2022 at 1:00 am
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:50 am

Is it enough? 3 hrs connection .

Hi All ,

we are 7 adults Carrying US passports. We are flying
economic PRG - AMS - SFO with KLM on August 3rd which is Wednesday . Depart from PRG at 6:00AM arrive to AMS at 7:35AM .
Then 10:40AM to SFO . We don’t have checking bags . I have questions .

1 - Do we have to go thru security check after passport control

2 - 3hrs connection at AMS is enough. We do have travel protection insurance that we bought from Delta vacation package.

Thank you for your time !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.