Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:37 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ArnoldB
Our trip is to Rotterdam and our main goal was to do the full-day (10:30-17:30) Maasvlakte harbor tour by operator Spido. They wrote us by mail that this tour is available on Tuesdays and Saturdays and we booked the flights according to that (Friday to Sunday). Turns out they gave us wrong information and it is actually Tuesdays and Sundays, which is obviously not compatible with what we booked (return flight Sunday 17:15) and now I'm desperate with damage control. Rebooking to Saturday-Monday (Evening) is seemingly also not an option because the evening flight on Monday is somehow not available for rebooking, even though it can be selected when making a completely new booking.
You could consider departing from BRU. That's only a short train ride (~90 min) from Rotterdam. Possibly other/better departure times and definitely different prices available from there.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
The entertainment factor could be interesting. I have no clue how the business class guy got there, unless SQ, but for the Amex, I wonder if they somehow seen ads for Dutch Amex where Privium was mentioned?.
J Class Man showed the receptionist a boarding pass, itinerary or something, and was told where he could find Crown Lounge 52. Your Amex theory makes sense. I don't know where they were sent, although tempted to stop and listen I didn't think it proper.

Johan
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jongesander
I was thinking HadesNL , maybe you get the Aspire invitation because you are travelling with children? Not sure how old they are, but children below 12 are not allowed in the Privium lounge.
I asked Privium.

1. The minimum age for a Privium membership is 12.
2. Privium members may guest children into the lounges, either with a guest voucher or upon payment of the applicable fee, but always at the discretion of the lounge agent on duty.
3. "Very young children" (infants and toddlers, presumably) will never be admitted.

Johan
HadesNL likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Yes. However an economy flex ticket only includes Skypriority on intra-EU itineraries (or short haul or intra Europe, not sure where the cutoff is). So if the KLM website offers you the option you should check carefully that the upgraded segment is in that category.

More expert people than me in KLM will be able to help if you share your itinerary.

Thanks! Flying AMS-MAN.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva
Thanks! Flying AMS-MAN.
Then if you buy flex you have SP.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Any feedback from a recent Schengen journey using SP (cabin luggage only) ?

How long the wait was from drop-off till airside ?

I have a 7h layover tomorrow and considering getting to Amsterdam to pick up a watch 😅
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:41 pm

Right now on the KLM website:

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol – Due to a malfunction of the Airport Baggage System all customers with a transfer connection within Europe on 21 July 2022 can travel with hand luggage only. We apologise for the inconvenience.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Got the same message on my app. In my 20 years of intensive travel never had such a message from Schiphol or any other airport (other than when there was a strike). We've seen for years Schiphol was unable to repair escalators, and this may be next thing they can't get fixed. They are sinking so deep.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Coder33
Any feedback from a recent Schengen journey using SP (cabin luggage only) ?

How long the wait was from drop-off till airside ?

I have a 7h layover tomorrow and considering getting to Amsterdam to pick up a watch 😅
With SP is no problem. Make sure you're back at Schiphol with a couple of hours to spare and you'll be bored before boarding.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by atflyer
We've seen for years Schiphol was unable to repair escalators, and this may be next thing they can't fixed. They are sinking so deep.
I like that to solve the issue of the travelators, they just removed them from the C-B pier connector
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
You could consider departing from BRU. That's only a short train ride (~90 min) from Rotterdam. Possibly other/better departure times and definitely different prices available from there.
Yes I did look at other airports nearby but the one-way trip is always 130€+ pP + extra train cost, so 300€+ in total, which is already the same as rebooking KLM to the next morning.

For now I've said "screw it". We're now not doing the Spido cruise on Sunday, but going to Futureland/Maasvlakte ourselves on Saturday with the subway + ferry and doing guided tours there. Only costs half as much as well and we don't have to pay 300€ extra for rebooking, airport hotel and getting up to stand in line at 3-4am. So we will leave the flights as is with Sunday late afternoon departure.

Part of me is still "hoping" a bit that one of our flights is cancelled and we get rebooked to the next morning flight and they have to pay for the airport hotel. But again that would also be quite stressful with standing in line at 3-4am. I assume rebooking after a cancellation by the airline goes into the same ticket type, e.g. Light to Light and not Light to Flex.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:14 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol – Due to a malfunction of the Airport Baggage System all customers with a transfer connection within Europe on 21 July 2022 can travel with hand luggage only. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Does that mean if you are transferring through schipol then no checked baggage? Does it also apply to flights originating in AMS? Flying AMS-HEL on Monday on AY

Last edited by cpworld; Jul 21, 2022 at 3:20 am
Old Jul 21, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by cpworld

Does that mean if you are transferring through schipol then no checked baggage? Does it also apply to flights originating in AMS? Flying AMS-HEL on Monday on AY
This is a KLM thing. And I'm presuming they mean pax on AAA-AMS-BBB itins, not AMS-CDG-XXX either.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: KL Platinum
Data point from this afternoon. Walked through Plaza at 14:17, was airside at 14:25. Lucky me.

Now in Privium West, same Indonesian themed lunch. Plus I think I see the 12-14 year olds Johan saw on his last trip…
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: KL Platinum
As an addendum, whomever is responsible for the piped music in West this afternoon needs to be relieved of their duties. If I have to listen to any more Enrique Iglesias I will have to seek refuge elsewhere
HadesNL and b12e like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.