Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great KLM 747 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:58 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Well..its Sam Chui. He is the one who dances the way the airline likes him to dance. I'd say that he is the most sponsored, and least honest, airline reviewer on YouTube.

Nevertheless its an interesting video I'd say. Really makes me want to fly the B747 one more time before its going away.
Xizm, caliform, SkyteamEP and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KLM has suddenly realized that the 787-10, which was due to take over from the 747 on the CUR route from S20, seats far fewer pax. To meet expected demand the 747 will continue serving CUR over the summer, and possibly in W20 as well.

Johan
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
KLM has suddenly realized that the 787-10, which was due to take over from the 747 on the CUR route from S20, seats far fewer pax. To meet expected demand the 747 will continue serving CUR over the summer, and possibly in W20 as well.

Johan
No surprise there. What is a surprise though is that this suddenly became news. I read it in 2 local papers, yesterday and on luchtvaartnieuws. KLM moved the 787-10 off of the June flights a good 2 months ago.

The original plan was 28 February (Daily), they then moved it to March 28 (still Daily), in October of last year the changed it to June (3 weekly) and in December they moved it to October. (Daily)

This is pretty much the same thing that happened with the 77W, which was scheduled to Curaçao on multiple occasions, but never panned out.

I have to say, not realizing that the 787-10 doesn’t have enough capacity is an odd excuse, though.
arjen05 likes this.

Last edited by Djokison; Feb 7, 2020 at 7:28 am
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue
So the last 747 will probably be doing PBM / CUR until it is flown to Lelystad to be preserved there next to the 747-200SUB!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:01 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.

Johan
Presumably AFKL management wanted to start stacking passengers but then found this was in violation of some pesky rule
Djokison and Thysk like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
Presumably AFKL management wanted to start stacking passengers but then found this was in violation of some pesky rule
That actually happened to me once when I was four years old. The flight was full, so my dad took the jump seat, and I sat in his lap. Not sure if that was in violation of some pesky rule, there were far fewer of those back then.

Johan
Zembla, Djokison, caliform and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:44 pm

That actually happened to me once when I was four years old. The flight was full, so my dad took the jump seat, and I sat in his lap. Not sure if that was in violation of some pesky rule, there were far fewer of those back then.

Johan
The good old days... used to sit in the cockpit for hours. I was allowed once to throttle up a 747 for taxiing. But that was probably on a Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines flight as we used to fly those more then KL.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by Djokison
No surprise there. What is a surprise though is that this suddenly became news. I read it in 2 local papers, yesterday and on luchtvaartnieuws. KLM moved the 787-10 off of the June flights a good 2 months ago.

The original plan was 28 February (Daily), they then moved it to March 28 (still Daily), in October of last year the changed it to June (3 weekly) and in December they moved it to October. (Daily)

This is pretty much the same thing that happened with the 77W, which was scheduled to Curaçao on multiple occasions, but never panned out.

I have to say, not realizing that the 787-10 doesn’t have enough capacity is an odd excuse, though.
Very old news indeed, and airline staff here in CUR have been very surprised to hear that a booking that I have for late 2020 still shows 787-10 as equipment, apparently everyone already knows the 747 will continue longer than October for AMS-CUR.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Djokison
What is a surprise though is that this suddenly became news.
Not really surprising.

Before it suddenly became news, it obviously wasn't in the news. Then only insiders would have been in the know, not the general public. Once it did hit the news, the word spread. Not really surprising either.

Johan
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:37 am

Royal Class in the Good Old Days
That looks cool, very classy
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:13 pm

Will the Corona virus accelerate the retirement of the 747? Hope not.. but she could be the victim of this virus... the virus is very hard on old birds... but the lower oil price on the other hand.

where does the 747 excel in over the 773?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:34 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I saw a few 747 sitting off-airport today
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Off-airport? You mean the Corendon hotel or Aviodrome museum?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:10 am

Accelerated retirement. All 744s to leave by the end of the month, apparently.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:40 am

26 march probably the last rotation.. I am very very saddened by this. I have been on them my whole life. My first flight as a 3 month old baby was on a 747...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.